INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Interview the person below you.

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Sel

Re: Interview the person below you.

#1821 Post by Sel » April 4th, 2012, 3:40 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Ditto on the Stones.

Do you indulge in Easter Bunny chocolate treats?
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

animist

#1822 Post by animist » April 4th, 2012, 7:24 pm

I resisted buying one in the shop today, but as you've mentioned it, might get one tomorrow :laughter:

What is your favourite local shop?

Fia

#1823 Post by Fia » April 4th, 2012, 9:48 pm

My local hardware shop. A wonderfully eclectic mix of hardwary and touristy stuff. If they don't have what you need they'll get it for you or point you in the right direction. Run by an eccentric local couple who have all the gossip, so the queue turns into a village catch-up :D

Great question. Same again...

animist

#1824 Post by animist » April 9th, 2012, 5:52 pm

Alan C. wrote: animist, if you want some "good" wet rain, you can have some of ours :)
it took some time to arrive, but thanks Alan :thumbsup: . Of course it does happen to be on a Bank Holiday, but then I don't have a regular job :yahbooh: :twisted:

lewist

#1825 Post by lewist » April 9th, 2012, 7:09 pm

Fia wrote:...Great question. Same again...
Kincraig Stores, with Murchies of Kingussie coming a very close second.

Same question
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

animist

#1826 Post by animist » April 9th, 2012, 7:52 pm

I suppose I should try answering this question: there was till recently an old-fashioned sweet shop which everyone loved - but presumably not enough, as it is now closed! :sad2:

Can you remember the first cinema film you saw without your parents there?

Dave B

#1827 Post by Dave B » April 9th, 2012, 8:36 pm

Wizard of Oz with a girl from primary school that I had a crush on - but my sister had to be with us because we were too young, does it still count? And I had to pay for my sister's ticket as well - forgot that!

Same question.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

getreal

#1828 Post by getreal » April 9th, 2012, 10:53 pm

Gone With the Wind. My schoolfriend treated me (I think it was my birthday or something). I hated it. Both she and he were horrible people. I just wanted to give them both a good hard slap.

what's the worst and best film you have seen at the cinema
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan C.

#1829 Post by Alan C. » April 9th, 2012, 11:03 pm

animist
but then I don't have a regular job :yahbooh: :twisted:
Neither do I :D

I can't remember the first but I remember sneaking in (underage) to see The mole people. Scared the shit out of me.

Cross posted with getreal so I'll go with her next question.

Worst, either Three coins in a fountain or seven brides for seven brothers (both musicals, sort of)

Best, probably the last one I saw in a cinema, The good the bad and the ugly.
Anyone else?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

thundril

#1830 Post by thundril » April 9th, 2012, 11:24 pm

So many candidates, in both categories!
The worst movie ever cobbled together has got to be 'Avalanche!' which is about an avalanche.
'Operation Crossbow' was pretty dire. But 'Avalanche!' was a disaster in every sense.
Best ever? I could pick one for each genre, I spose. But that would be tedious for all concerned.
'Silent Movie' by Mel Brookes has not had as much acclaim as I think it deserved.
'Dr Strangelove' is of course amongst the all-time greats.
But seriously, they don't come much better than Aldomovar's 'Volver'. If you get a chance, see it.
Same question?

Sel

#1831 Post by Sel » May 3rd, 2012, 11:47 pm

Worst - Batman: too noisy, too loud, too dark and not enough good narrative
Best - Probably was Out of Africa

What is your favorite sandwich?

I ask as I seem to be stuck on Reubens: corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and dressing on rye and grilled. They are addictive and very sinful.
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

animist

#1832 Post by animist » May 4th, 2012, 7:51 am

tuna and onion is simple and nice, but I wish you could teleport yours over the Atlantic!

Sel, who is that "wee devil" that lives with you?

Sel

#1833 Post by Sel » May 4th, 2012, 3:20 pm

animist wrote:tuna and onion is simple and nice, but I wish you could teleport yours over the Atlantic!

Sel, who is that "wee devil" that lives with you?
My daughter and her 5 yr old son live with me. Short version of long story: left at US border with 6 mo old in 2007 by extremely abusive husband. She suffered severe disk damage from abuse and is now recovering from a successful spinal fusion. I have been totally in charge for the past 3 months but she is now able to start taking over with the white tornado again.

I am free again to attend things of interest. :smile:

Are you a joiner? What type of group/groups have you joined recently?

Alan C.

#1834 Post by Alan C. » May 14th, 2012, 8:24 pm

Sel
Are you a joiner? What type of group/groups have you joined recently?
Not all recent but.
I'm on the committee of the Walls and district agricultural society, I'm a member of the Shetland horticultural society, I'm on the committee at the Aith community hall and a member of the NSS (National Secular Society)

What facility would you like to have where you live, that isn't currently available?

Marian

#1835 Post by Marian » May 16th, 2012, 12:30 am

Manufacturer and distributor of fine herbs.

Where is the highest place of elevation you have traveled to?
Transformative fire...

jaywhat

#1836 Post by jaywhat » May 16th, 2012, 5:59 am

Something over 35,000 ft on flights to Khartoum and Perth, but perhaps you did not mean that, Marian :smile:

Same question ?

Dave B

#1837 Post by Dave B » May 16th, 2012, 9:10 am

Whilst still standing on the Earth: at about 6,000 ft just below the summit of Mount Olympus in the Troodos massif in Cyprus (there is a radar station on the actual summit.) We were skiing there at Easter 1963 - then sunbathing that same evening on the beach at Paphos! (I was stationed to Cyprus in the RAF)

What is the most unusual foodstuff you have been offered, whether you have actually eaten it or not (indicate which please)?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

getreal

#1838 Post by getreal » May 17th, 2012, 5:35 pm

Some sort of giant haggis we were served in Macedonia. About twice the size of a normal haggis and we got 1 each!! I ate some. It was OK, but way too much. At the same meal we had brain soup. Delicious!! Not that unusual if you are over 50 and scottish, though. My gran used to make a kind of pate from sheeps brains which she called potted heid (potted head).

Same question...
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan C.

#1839 Post by Alan C. » May 18th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Sheep intestine stuffed with fish livers (can't remember the Shetland name for it) I passed on it.

Do you ever go swimming? (I have a leisure centre practically on my doorstep)

Nick

#1840 Post by Nick » May 19th, 2012, 6:20 pm

Before I injured my shoulder (I'm waiting for an op.) I went swimming a lot. 32 lengths within 30 minutes, then out. In this way you don't bore yourself to distraction which puts you off going again. Very good for flexibility and posture, heart and lungs, plus a burst of endorphins. Just about the only thing is doesn't help is bone density. I don't miss the swimming per se, but I really miss feeling fit.

When I was at school I was lucky enough to swim at school, sometimes every day. I would bolt lunch in 5 minutes flat, and be straight in the pool! Very healthy! :laughter: On Wednesday afternoon, we'd swim maybe 150 lengths or so, plus a game of water polo. Youth is wasted on the young, don't you think?

Which comedian(s) do you like best, and least?

Alan C.

#1841 Post by Alan C. » May 20th, 2012, 11:00 pm

Nick
When I was at school I was lucky enough to swim at school, sometimes every day.
You had a swimming pool in school!? Are you one of the 1%?

We used to get bussed to the municipal pool once a week but on a Saturday I would go in at 8.00am and not come out till 4pm, thruppence well spent. :)
Which comedian(s) do you like best, and least?
Difficult question, I really like John Bishop, not least for his raising of over two £million for sport relief just recently, I also think Dara O'briain is very good.

Least............I don't see many as I only tend to watch the ones I know I like, are Bernard Manning and Chubby brown still around?

Bernard manning refused me entry to the Embassy club some considerable years ago, cos I wasn't wearing a tie. :)

As I can't think of owt else, (it's bedtime) same question.