INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Interview the person below you.

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Fia

Re: Interview the person below you.

#1241 Post by Fia » January 15th, 2009, 11:39 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

I try to. I first became aware of ethical shopping in my teens when I persuaded my Mum to not to buy South African produce, cunningly described as "Cape". But it probably hinges on ones interpretation of ethical. Latterly I've been more concerned as to the carbon footprint of my buying choices. Eschewing those lovely looking beans as they're wrapped in 2 layers of plastic and have been flown from Africa. But then if i don't buy them, am I doing the hard working African farmers a disservice? It's a minefield. So I try, that's all I can do.

Do you have any interesting plans for this year?

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#1242 Post by Maria Mac » January 17th, 2009, 10:58 pm

No, only really boring ones like getting house sorted and finding a job.

How about you? Anything you particularly hope to achieve this year?

Nick

#1243 Post by Nick » January 18th, 2009, 11:41 am

I am trying to launch a new line of business. Not the best time to try, I know, but it's burning a hole in my head! I've got to let it out! BTW, Maria. I know that looking for a job is boring (and frustrating etc., ) but I hope finding the right one is not. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Your fairy godmother gives you £1,000 to be spent in 24 hours. What would you do with it? (Donations and debt reduction not allowed!)

Fia

#1244 Post by Fia » January 18th, 2009, 9:32 pm

Insulate my big shed and line it with wood. A grand should do nicely, thanks Nick :D

Do you have a shed or equivalent, ie somewhere peaceful you can go to be alone?

Alan C.

#1245 Post by Alan C. » January 18th, 2009, 10:57 pm

A large shed/garage, four polytunnels, and two outhouses, where I can go and be at one with my plants. And I do.

Do you think it would be a good idea for another T H meet up this year?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Nick

#1246 Post by Nick » January 20th, 2009, 4:46 pm

Definitely! I was wondering about a Southern meet-up this spring.......

Do you think that Obama will be a lucky president, an amazing president or a let-down after all the excitement of his election (or something else)?

Alan C.

#1247 Post by Alan C. » January 20th, 2009, 6:33 pm

An improvement :smile:
Nick
I was wondering about a Southern meet-up this spring.......
Yeh how about Inverness? :wink:

Are you worried about your job, in these tough times?

Paolo

#1248 Post by Paolo » January 21st, 2009, 8:09 am

Not particularly. The recession has hit our sources of funding somewhat - putting a halt on projects and some contract staff, but being a member of core staff makes my position relatively safe. I am more worried about what happens if/when the Conservatives get back in power - they tend to royally screw over museums and other cultural institutions.

What smell best evokes memories of your childhood?

Beki

#1249 Post by Beki » January 21st, 2009, 5:28 pm

Butterscotch. Whenever we used to go on long car journeys with my mum she would have some in the car (and the "Evita" soundtrack on the tape-deck). Both things just transport me immediately back to that time......

Who do you think has made the greatest contribution to humanity in the last 10 years and why?
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - M Ghandi

Nick

#1250 Post by Nick » January 24th, 2009, 1:25 pm

That's such a wide and difficult question, I had to think of a way of addressing it. With this in mind, I had a look at Nobel Peace Prize winners, and from them, chose Muhammad Yunus, who founded the Grameen Bank.

Who, in history, is a hero of yours?

Diane

#1251 Post by Diane » January 26th, 2009, 11:00 pm

As I'm currently reading a biography of Charles Darwin, I'll plump for him.

Have you regretted anything about your education e.g. leaving school too young or choosing the wrong subject for your degree?

Alan C.

#1252 Post by Alan C. » January 27th, 2009, 10:11 pm

Yes, I regret not having one (education) I could read and write (and swim) before starting junior school at 5, (thanks mam).
On leaving "Richmond secondary modern" at 15 the only other thing I'd learned was how to play chess (maths lessons) history lessons never regressed further than WW2, our biology teacher was obsessed with ghost stories, science teacher loved nothing more than getting us all to hold hands and experience the joy of electric shock, via one of those wind up thingies, only thing I remember from English, is reading "wind in the willows", the metalwork teacher and the woodwork teacher were both psychopaths (a story on it's own) The geography teacher was good, he used to take us fell walking and youth hosteling at weekends.

You mention "degree" Diane..................Are you having a laugh.?

Nobody at my school, left with so much as an exam pass (what would the exams have been in 1966, anybody?)
Exams were just for the Grammar school (which was right next door to our sec mod)

Sorry about the rant, but I feel like I missed out on education and it narks.

To stay on topic, What's your absolute worst memory from your schooldays?

Edited to add.
Moose, who some of you know.
Attended the same school some 20 odd years later, and got to university, so it must have improved, (or maybe I'm just thick :smile: )

Zoe

#1253 Post by Zoe » January 28th, 2009, 12:43 pm

Wow, Alan, that's some story! No wonder you forgot to ask a question! (Unless you meant the question about exams in 1966 to be it - I think the answer is 'GCE O' Levels').

Have you ever had to kill a sick or wounded animal to put it out of its misery?

Nick

#1254 Post by Nick » January 28th, 2009, 4:09 pm

I'm afraid so. When I was in Oz, pursuing a girlfriend, her cat brought a badly wounded possum into the bedroom in the middle of the night. I had to separate it from the cat, and seeing it couldn't move properly (I think the cat had mangled it good and proper,) I had to take it outside and dispatch it with a spade. The worst thing was that it continued to twitch a bit even after it was dead. Second to worst was the fact that in all that time, I didn't have a stitch on. This is fine when you're being affectionate with your loved one, but not for euthanasing possums. Was my girlfriend impressed? Dunno, but I was made eligible for SPUD pretty soon afterwards..... :sad:

Do you have a cure for a hangover?

Alan C.

#1255 Post by Alan C. » January 28th, 2009, 8:07 pm

I can honestly say, I've never had a hangover, Mary would testify to this, she hates me for it.
She takes two paracetamol and goes back to bed, that usually works.

Sorry Zoe my question last time was.

To stay on topic, What's your absolute worst memory from your schooldays?

Emma Woolgatherer

#1256 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » February 1st, 2009, 7:27 pm

Being unjustly accused of plagiarism by my history teacher. I'd worked so hard on an essay about colonisation, and she gave me a D because she said I'd copied bits of it from the text book, which I hadn't. I hadn't even looked at the text book. I was too shy, though, to complain, or to ask her to provide proof. But it put me off history for years, sadly.

Have you ever broken a bone, and if so which one, and how?

Paolo

#1257 Post by Paolo » February 2nd, 2009, 8:04 am

I have broken my right ulna, left scaphoid, right metacarpal IV, right phalanges IV (on a separate occasion to the metacarpal) and some ribs (on three separate occasions - the most recent was exactly a year ago and I did it whilst working out at the gym), I have also broken my nose three times, but that doesn't really count.

On this theme:

What is the worst injury you've had?

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#1258 Post by Maria Mac » February 2nd, 2009, 1:16 pm

A dozen years ago I injured my Achilles Tendon and as a result had to give up sports. I've no idea how I did it but twelve years later it still hurts.

Is your street address something perfunctory or does it tell something about the flora, fauna, geology, topography, climate, or history of your region?

thundril

#1259 Post by thundril » February 2nd, 2009, 4:50 pm

The last street I parked on was Portmanmoor Road, the only interesting thing about it being that Shirley Bassey was born there! (In number 4, I'm told.)

Dr Jonson, on being assured that some interminable bit of violin virtuosity ws 'very difficult', replied "Difficult? I wish it was impossible!"
I think of this whenever I see a juggler.
Is there a bit of performance that evokes the same response in you?

Nick

#1260 Post by Nick » February 2nd, 2009, 5:42 pm

Just about any MOBO, except for a bit of reggae, and a fair amount of jazz (trad, swing etc) together with rag-time and similar. The rest has me climbing up the walls!

How disruptive has the snow been for you?

xman

#1261 Post by xman » February 3rd, 2009, 3:45 am

Yes, we've had more than our fair share of it so far, but I wouldn't say it has disrupted us much at all. The wife tried pushing the stroller through it once. I had a hole in my boot the day it started arriving. Nothing too serious.

Which hot, sunny destination of hedonistic pleasure would you seek as a retreat?
Always remember, it's your right to have a SUPER day.
If you're wrong, call me ... I'll have one for you!

Critical Thinking - http://www.skepdic.com/refuge/ctlessons.html