INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Interview the person below you.

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
thundril

Re: Interview the person below you.

#1761 Post by thundril » December 11th, 2011, 10:00 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Sel wrote:Abou Ben Adhem

Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
An angel writing in a book of gold:—

Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
And to the Presence in the room he said
"What writest thou?"—The vision raised its head,
And with a look made of all sweet accord,
Answered "The names of those who love the Lord."
"And is mine one?" said Abou. "Nay, not so,"
Replied the angel.

Abou spoke more low,
But cheerly still, and said "I pray thee, then,
Write me as one that loves his fellow men."

The angel wrote, and vanished. The next night
It came again with a great wakening light,
And showed the names whom love of God had blessed,
And lo! Ben Adhem's name led all the rest.

Abu Ben Adhem's name led all the rest
Prompting a thesis wildly theoretical
That even recording Angels find it best
To keep us alphabetical

Author unknown

Totally off topic, but couldn't resist. :wink:

jamesjones950

#1762 Post by jamesjones950 » December 20th, 2011, 5:27 pm

Picking up the unusual gourmet theme:

I love soup n chips. Any soup of your choice, but I like pea and ham. A chunk of buttered white bread. A portion of chips with fresh mayonnaise on the side to dip into.

Yummy!

Next......?
a "New Atheist" for the last 55 years

Dave B

#1763 Post by Dave B » December 20th, 2011, 5:38 pm

Wot? Not dipping the chips in the soup?

Why are you such a lovely person?

Don't all rush now!!!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Fia

#1764 Post by Fia » December 20th, 2011, 9:51 pm

I'm not a lovely person. Too full of my own personal angsts :redface: I aspire to be one though...

What aspirations do you have?

Marian

#1765 Post by Marian » December 21st, 2011, 1:24 am

I am aspiring to be a decent guitar player...although that might require that I practice just a tad more than I have done in so many days. :) There is still hope for tomorrow or maybe later tonight.

What would you like to accomplish in the next 5 years?
Transformative fire...

jaywhat

#1766 Post by jaywhat » December 21st, 2011, 5:43 am

I would like to get a collection of short prose pieces published - if and when.

... and your ambition for the next year or so is?

Nick

#1767 Post by Nick » December 27th, 2011, 5:12 pm

To restore my barge to full working order! And that's ambitious!

What nice prezzies did you receive or give?

animist

#1768 Post by animist » December 27th, 2011, 8:34 pm

Kindle, cloudberry liqueur, several CDs, music book, etc. I got all these because I'M WORTH IT and did not give anything as noone else is worth it

What do you think of me?

Nick

#1769 Post by Nick » December 28th, 2011, 11:12 am

All my suspicions are confirmed... :D

I'll leaver the prezzies question open. :)

Alan C.

#1770 Post by Alan C. » January 14th, 2012, 10:28 pm

I got nowt and Mary got nowt, that's how we like it, we've been together 43 years and we already have everything we need.

What (if anything) Have you got planned for this year?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Dave B

#1771 Post by Dave B » January 14th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Nuffink. There must be a name for people, like me, who like to see what crops up in the natural course of events. The nearest I get to planning the future is, "Shall I have fish or turkey for tea tonight?" A little unplanned chaos (what other kind is there?) keeps me on my toes.

Same again . . .
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Fia

#1772 Post by Fia » January 15th, 2012, 8:16 pm

I plan to move the eldest to Inverness, and rent out my Edinburgh flat - anyone need a 2 bed flat? Support the youngest through her standard grades and help her choose highers subjects. We're going back to Thousand Islands in the summer to have some fabby family time in memory of Zell (whose memorial I went to last October and wrote about somewhere here). We also hope to spend some time with Marian and Curtis... probably need to try and find a way we can fly to Toronto and from NY... the planning is part of the fun :) And in May I'm taking a jar of marmalade on a journey. It's a story I will tell, but not yet... Might also go to Alan C's to help rebuild polytunnels... and the rest of it will be working jolly hard to pay for it all - good job I enjoy my work :nod:

Love this question, planning is fun so same again...

animist

#1773 Post by animist » January 15th, 2012, 8:32 pm

I should be planning, as this year is significant in birthdays for me (65) and my spouse (60) plus our daughter (21 yesterday). The good advice from people like Lifelinking about doing things (like holidays) while one still can is ringing in my mind, but we can't decide what if anything to do! First thing is a new car though - I have to keep starting up ours up at odd times of night in order to get it going in the morning!

Do you always tell the truth on this forum? (I did not in my last post - I did give some Xmas presents, too cowardly not to!)

jaywhat

#1774 Post by jaywhat » January 17th, 2012, 6:26 am

I think I am telling the truth when I say I always tell the truth; but truth to tell, can one always be sure?

-----same question -----

animist

#1775 Post by animist » January 17th, 2012, 8:29 am

yes I always tell the truth

what age would you like to stay at?

stevenw888

#1776 Post by stevenw888 » January 18th, 2012, 3:01 pm

I would love to stay at aged 18. What a happy year that was! My wages (£21.90, net per week) seemed to last forever. I lived at home so had no bills other than the money I gave my Mum as rent (£4.00). I started seriously courting my girlfriend (now my wife) that year, and we had two wonderful and inexpensive holidays that year. I didn't own a car, so was not bogged down with petrol and car repair bills. Life stretched out before me like a long and unguessable road and, every day I lived for the moment. Happy days!

Same question....
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Fia

#1777 Post by Fia » January 18th, 2012, 11:25 pm

animist wrote:yes I always tell the truth
:laughter:

I wouldn't like to stay at any age, as the overriding feeling of being on this planet for more than half a century is that time, learning, loving, caring, sharing, listening, debating and understanding and accepting myself makes me more comfortable in my own skin and a nicer person to know. If, however, I have the misfortune to dement, then I'd like to stay at the stage where I can still do all of the above.

If you are comfortable in your own skin, what got you there?

animist

#1778 Post by animist » January 21st, 2012, 10:19 am

some long-suffering organs, I assume! Too much food and alcohol has been forced onto them, and yet they continue to give good service - must give them a medal some day!

Have your ever been as happy as Stevenw888 was when he was 18?

Ken H

#1779 Post by Ken H » January 21st, 2012, 4:09 pm

Yeah, probably in my mid 20's. Just out of the navy, attending college at gvt. expense, had a sporty little car and some buddies from school, one of whom lived 2 blocks from the tiny Corner Bar, which had a pinball machine and $1 pitchers of beer. :smile:

What was your favourite year?
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Sel

#1780 Post by Sel » January 21st, 2012, 5:54 pm

I had lost a lot of weight, was back to full time teaching and loved it. The kids were teenagers and an enjoyable challenge - for the most part. It was our 25th wedding anniversary and our youngest was performing at Buckingham Palace; so my husband and I plus our 16yr old daughter took a two week Trafalgar tour of Great Britain and then stayed in London to watch two Calgary bands march up the Mall and perform in the forecourt of the palace.

They were the first non-military, non-British bands to ever be invited to do so. Joanne was in Round-up Band (13-15 yr olds at the time). They joined the famous Calgary Stampede Show Band for that special event. 350 Calgary kids! Joanne would later be a member of the Show Band for 7 years.

The trip was an awesome experience but I must add that "sweet sixteen" is an oxymoron. :laughter: Chris would frequently disappear on her own both while on tour and in downtown London!

Unfortunately the good times came to a crash in October when my husband had emergency quadruple bypass surgery. Life would never be the same again.

Since it has been as cold as -35°C = -31°F here this week....what is the coldest and most miserable you have been?
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

animist

#1781 Post by animist » January 22nd, 2012, 8:21 am

I am so sorry, Sel, that such a good year for you ended so badly; life is so unpredictable. I probably have never been as cold as you were/are, but I was very depressed in 1969, taking several overdoses.

Do you intend to visit the Theologica site if you have not already done so?