INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Descramble

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
animist
Posts: 6522
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Descramble

#141 Post by animist » June 15th, 2017, 11:23 am

Latest post of the previous page:

animist wrote:when the game is enjoyably over
Ida, a Hove sinning dog
3,3,1,4,7
the game could be a ball game in which the defending party lasted well, or it could be a game of life which has been pretty long and satisfactory

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Descramble

#142 Post by Tetenterre » June 15th, 2017, 11:34 am

Time for a clue, perhaps? :wink:
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6522
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Descramble

#143 Post by animist » June 15th, 2017, 11:54 am

Tetenterre wrote:Time for a clue, perhaps? :wink:
I just gave you clue!!! :smile: Maybe focus on the "defensive" aspect of the previous post; the game is English but with a very popular US near-equivalent (which I think claims to be older than the English one)

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Descramble

#144 Post by Tetenterre » June 15th, 2017, 5:29 pm

animist wrote:
Tetenterre wrote:Time for a clue, perhaps? :wink:
I just gave you clue!!! :smile:
Cross-post; didn't see it. ( posted after spending quarter of an hour not getting it) :smile:
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6522
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Descramble

#145 Post by animist » June 15th, 2017, 9:37 pm

Tetenterre wrote:
animist wrote:
Tetenterre wrote:Time for a clue, perhaps? :wink:
I just gave you clue!!! :smile:
Cross-post; didn't /see it. ( posted after spending quarter of an hour not getting it) :smile:
are you batty, or am I? If me, maybe I need an outing
:D

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Descramble

#146 Post by Tetenterre » June 16th, 2017, 5:01 am

animist wrote: maybe I need an outing
:D
Nah, it's not cool to out people....
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6522
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Descramble

#147 Post by animist » June 16th, 2017, 8:54 am

I have a wicket sense of humour. The clues are falling thick and fast here at TH!

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Descramble

#148 Post by Tetenterre » June 16th, 2017, 11:29 am

Hah!

I've had a good innings. Blimey, I shouldn't have found it that difficult. :laughter:

Could be a tad tricky:

ICC skew kitty (6, 6)
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6522
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Descramble

#149 Post by animist » June 17th, 2017, 10:33 am

Tetenterre wrote:Hah!

I've had a good innings. Blimey, I shouldn't have found it that difficult. :laughter:

Could be a tad tricky:

ICC skew kitty (6, 6)
"Could be a tad tricky" - is that a clue or a comment? And I do hope that you've had a good innings and will continue to do so :smile:

Maria Mac
Site Admin
Posts: 9304
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:34 pm

Re: Descramble

#150 Post by Maria Mac » June 18th, 2017, 8:54 pm

Well done for getting that last one, Tet. It had me totally stumped.
Tetenterre wrote: Could be a tad tricky:

ICC skew kitty (6, 6)
Sticky wicket.

You can make the next move.

it heroically burns out 3,4,2,2,4,5

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6522
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Descramble

#151 Post by animist » June 18th, 2017, 10:37 pm

Athena wrote: You can make the next move.

it heroically burns out 3,4,2,2,4,5
the ball is in your court (my 26-year-old daughter got this in a minute or so!)

Honey, I'm home!
to thy fate, hen - dead!
2,3,3,2,3,3

Maria Mac
Site Admin
Posts: 9304
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:34 pm

Re: Descramble

#152 Post by Maria Mac » June 18th, 2017, 11:56 pm

At the end of the day


...don't do this or you'll be tired tomorrow

hot bum nil dithering 4,3,8,3

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Descramble

#153 Post by Tetenterre » June 19th, 2017, 9:48 am

Well done for getting that last one, Tet. It had me totally stumped.
Ta; the storm of cricket puns eventually penetrated ...


Burn the midnight oil

An alternative to midnight oil

and bends the col (6, 4, 4)
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6522
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Descramble

#154 Post by animist » June 19th, 2017, 3:29 pm

Tetenterre wrote:
An alternative to midnight oil

and bends the col (6, 4, 4)
candle both ends

An unwanted present
4,4,3,3,7,2
Down to earth, had lick at egg

Maria Mac
Site Admin
Posts: 9304
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:34 pm

Re: Descramble

#155 Post by Maria Mac » June 19th, 2017, 6:19 pm

Look what the cat dragged in.

Prying can be fatal

a celt trickily hides out
9,6,3,3

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6522
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Descramble

#156 Post by animist » June 20th, 2017, 1:14 am

Athena wrote:a celt trickily hides out[/b] 9,6,3,3
curiosity killed the cat

a potentially nice and easy meal which might tempt the cat?
7,4
dug tin stick

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Descramble

#157 Post by Tetenterre » June 20th, 2017, 1:37 pm

animist wrote: a potentially nice and easy meal which might tempt the cat?
7,4
dug tin stick
All I can get out of that is "ducking tits", which doesn't really fit the clue, so I assume it's wrong.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Descramble

#158 Post by Tetenterre » June 20th, 2017, 1:44 pm

Hah! and as I posted that, I suddenly saw "sitting duck".

Briefly famous.

High-lined luminscent
(4,2,3,9)
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6522
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Descramble

#159 Post by animist » June 21st, 2017, 8:08 am

Tetenterre wrote:Hah! and as I posted that, I suddenly saw "sitting duck".

Briefly famous.

High-lined luminscent
(4,2,3,9)
I preferred your first attempt :D . Can I just query the anagram? I assume you mean "luminescent", which has 11 letters, making the total number of letters 20 - correct?

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Descramble

#160 Post by Tetenterre » June 21st, 2017, 9:24 am

animist wrote:
Tetenterre wrote:Hah! and as I posted that, I suddenly saw "sitting duck".

Briefly famous.

High-lined luminscent
(4,2,3,9)
I preferred your first attempt :D . Can I just query the anagram? I assume you mean "luminescent", which has 11 letters, making the total number of letters 20 - correct?
Damn, I seem to have messed that up. In more ways than one. Sorry about that. Let's try again (fingers crossed!):

He is briefly famous.


High-lined luminescent (6,2,5,9)
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6522
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Descramble

#161 Post by animist » June 22nd, 2017, 11:15 am

Tetenterre wrote:
animist wrote:
Tetenterre wrote:Hah! and as I posted that, I suddenly saw "sitting duck".

Briefly famous.

High-lined luminscent
(4,2,3,9)
I preferred your first attempt :D . Can I just query the anagram? I assume you mean "luminescent", which has 11 letters, making the total number of letters 20 - correct?
Damn, I seem to have messed that up. In more ways than one. Sorry about that. Let's try again (fingers crossed!):

He is briefly famous.


High-lined luminescent (6,2,5,9)
thanks, TT, but you are now two letters short on the anagram :exit:

Post Reply