INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Assorted quizzes

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Maria Mac
Site Admin

Assorted quizzes

#1 Post by Maria Mac » March 25th, 2012, 1:10 pm

I've unstuck the fun trivia quiz thread. In its place I'm sticking a thread for online quizzes in general. These are ones I've enjoyed; feel free to add any others.

The original fun trivia quiz.

A different general knowledge quiz.

Traveller iq quizzes.

Tudor history quiz (Unfortunately a couple of the answers are incorrect but still worth doing if you happen to love this subject.)

Enjoy! :)

Maria Mac
Site Admin

Re: Assorted quizzes

#2 Post by Maria Mac » April 13th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Quite an educational one: The placebo effect quiz.

getreal

#3 Post by getreal » April 13th, 2012, 8:17 pm

Bugger! I just did the placebo test, but I can't see how to get the score. There doesn't seem to be anything to click after answering all the questions (which, if you have read Bad Science, isn't too difficult)
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#4 Post by Maria Mac » October 30th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Another quiz I'm not very good at: Name That Thing!

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » October 30th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Hah! Seezy! :dance:

Well, the first set was anyway - the type of pasta was a guess but I made the right one!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#6 Post by Tetenterre » October 30th, 2012, 5:18 pm

I like these:
"Only Connect" Walls
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Tetenterre

#7 Post by Tetenterre » November 1st, 2012, 5:02 pm

Dave B wrote:Hah! Seezy! :dance:
I did well on that (3720), but it took me ages to get over 700 on http://general-knowledge-quiz.co.uk/ -- just not fast enough and hung around in the 690s for ages -- eventually, most of the Qs were ones I'd seen before, do it made it easier to be quick.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#8 Post by Maria Mac » December 11th, 2012, 11:29 am

Tetenterre wrote:I like these:
"Only Connect" Walls
Thanks for this one. I'm happily addicted.

I'm also enjoying the quizzes on here at the moment: http://www.triviaplaza.com/

Dave B

#9 Post by Dave B » December 11th, 2012, 11:45 am

"Only Connect" Walls
Just can't get on with this, first three games I tried had categories where I had no knowledge at all, like rugby players that also sound like breweries!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#10 Post by Maria Mac » December 14th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Dave B wrote:
"Only Connect" Walls
Just can't get on with this, first three games I tried had categories where I had no knowledge at all, like rugby players that also sound like breweries!
Like most quiz games, it's an opportunity to learn lots of trivia that helps me when I play along with Pointless, my favourite TV quiz, so that's one reason I like it.

They are indeed fiendishly difficult and in the majority I've tried, I haven't got any connections at all, which makes me all the more jubilant when I get one or two connections and ecstatic when I get all four. I think that's happened about five times out of the dozens of games I've played and I've cheated and used google most of those times.

But it's definitely much easier making up my own games and giving them to Alan to do. :)

Dave B

#11 Post by Dave B » December 14th, 2012, 5:35 pm

I was doing quite well with the Torygraph xword many years ago - until they slipped one in that related almost entirely to cricket terms and history.

Just not cricket that!
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#12 Post by Tetenterre » December 15th, 2012, 10:06 am

Athena wrote: I play along with Pointless
+1 (-- when I can -- most of my work is late afternoon/early evening. And, for some reason, I don't like the "celebrity" version so much)
Steve

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#13 Post by Maria Mac » December 15th, 2012, 10:18 am

Tetenterre wrote:And, for some reason, I don't like the "celebrity" version so much
+1. And I love how you put celebrity in quote marks.

thundril

#14 Post by thundril » December 15th, 2012, 10:58 am

Dave B wrote:I was doing quite well with the Torygraph xword many years ago - until they slipped one in that related almost entirely to cricket terms and history.

Just not cricket that!
I went through a Torygraph phase about 40 years ago. I seem to remember the cryptic was nearly all cricket, military and English history.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#15 Post by Maria Mac » March 10th, 2013, 6:41 pm

My current fave quiz site: http://www.sporcle.com/

Also liking http://www.triviaplaza.com/ ETA: Oops - I see I've already posted this one above.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#16 Post by Maria Mac » December 27th, 2013, 11:31 pm

Encyclopedia Britannica quiz site - lots of quizzes here.

http://www.britannica.com/quiz/browse

Tetenterre

#17 Post by Tetenterre » December 29th, 2013, 10:37 am

<grumpy_old_man>
Sorry, but those really began to irritate me. Trivially, things like conflating "made" and "filmed", or "measured" and "calculated" are merely annoying, but confusing "weight" and "density" is just plain wrong. The T/F question "Saturn is light enough to float." sums up the worst of it. Float in what? Mercury? Air? OK, so one can infer that they mean water, but it's a lot heavier than a penny and a penny sinks in water.
</grumpy_old_man>
Steve

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#18 Post by Maria Mac » August 20th, 2015, 5:48 pm

And another quiz site: http://www.actionquiz.com/

animist

#19 Post by animist » August 20th, 2015, 8:52 pm

Athena wrote:And another quiz site: http://www.actionquiz.com/
aw shucks, I keep winning! Well, I keep winning section Geography, subsection Connected countries :wink: Must get off my backside and actually visit some of them

Tetenterre

#20 Post by Tetenterre » August 9th, 2017, 1:39 pm

Steve