INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Henny Penny

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Tetenterre

Re: Henny Penny

#921 Post by Tetenterre » May 4th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Thanks for that, because I was going down a "Iscariot - ...chariot" false trail. So, presumably we have Simon and Magus (but not Simon Magus)?

"We shall not cease from exploration..." :laughter:
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

animist

#922 Post by animist » May 5th, 2017, 12:38 am

Tetenterre wrote:Thanks for that, because I was going down a "Iscariot - ...chariot" false trail. So, presumably we have Simon and Magus (but not Simon Magus)?

"We shall not cease from exploration..." :laughter:
why not SImon Magus? (the surname does not figure in the answer). So what was the sin of SImon Magus?

VINDICATOR

#923 Post by VINDICATOR » May 5th, 2017, 6:24 am

This is my first time on here. I'm not sure, but here it is:
Your Holiness is an idiot.
hen pen

animist

#924 Post by animist » May 5th, 2017, 9:22 am

VINDICATOR wrote:This is my first time on here. I'm not sure, but here it is:
Your Holiness is an idiot.
hen pen
Pope dope?

Tetenterre

#925 Post by Tetenterre » May 5th, 2017, 11:26 am

Hey, Vinnie, how about helping me get the
mingy way of dispensing indulgences over motoring offences
Hen Nikenny Pennikenny
one? :wink:
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Tetenterre

#926 Post by Tetenterre » May 5th, 2017, 11:29 am

animist wrote:why not SImon Magus? (the surname does not figure in the answer). So what was the sin of SImon Magus?
Is the repeated capitalisation of the "I" in SImon a clue or a typo?
Steve

Tetenterre

#927 Post by Tetenterre » May 5th, 2017, 11:41 am

Ah, I think I've got it:
Car Simony Parsimony ?
Steve

Tetenterre

#928 Post by Tetenterre » May 5th, 2017, 11:50 am

And, assuming that is correct, how about:

Sexy top-down logic:
Henniken penniken
Steve

VINDICATOR

#929 Post by VINDICATOR » May 5th, 2017, 1:25 pm

Right, Animist, "Pope Dope", The Pope is a dope!
Why is he a dope? because he doesn't know that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. He scolded Trump for wanting to build a wall but he forgot that the wall of the Vatican is second only to the Great Wall of China! They built it to protect the huge hord of Gold in the Vatican cellars!
I'm not clever enough to produce more than a single syllable "hen pen", when I think up another one I'll post it here!
:smile: :smile:

animist

#930 Post by animist » May 5th, 2017, 11:37 pm

Tetenterre wrote:
animist wrote:why not SImon Magus? (the surname does not figure in the answer). So what was the sin of SImon Magus?
Is the repeated capitalisation of the "I" in SImon a clue or a typo?
aha

Tetenterre

#931 Post by Tetenterre » May 6th, 2017, 1:41 am

VINDICATOR wrote: I'm not clever enough to produce more than a single syllable "hen pen", when I think up another one I'll post it here!
General game-play (but always open to change if participants wish - or if someone has a brilliant idea that s/he fears s/he may forget) is we have one puzzle current, and whoever solves that poses the next one.
Steve

animist

#932 Post by animist » May 6th, 2017, 10:10 am

Tetenterre wrote:
VINDICATOR wrote: I'm not clever enough to produce more than a single syllable "hen pen", when I think up another one I'll post it here!
General game-play (but always open to change if participants wish - or if someone has a brilliant idea that s/he fears s/he may forget) is we have one puzzle current, and whoever solves that poses the next one.
actually I would like to change this pattern, partly because it does deter people from joining in with their own puzzles - as you know it took me over two years (of sleepless nights :wink:) to guess your last puzzle, TT. Vinnie, TT and I seem to have tended towards pretty obscure topics since the game began quite a few years ago, so unless TT objects, please do send in whatever you like :smile:. PS - I have started the game on Facebook, and got some interest!

animist

#933 Post by animist » May 6th, 2017, 10:14 am

Tetenterre wrote:And, assuming that is correct, how about:

Sexy top-down logic:
Henniken penniken
I can see that this will be another two-year job :laughter: unless you provide a lot more clues. I assume that the word "Reasoning" is not in the answer?

Tetenterre

#934 Post by Tetenterre » May 8th, 2017, 1:58 pm

animist wrote:I assume that the word "Reasoning" is not in the answer?
No, but you're not a million miles away: "top-down logic" is a description of a particular mode of reasoning - get that adjective, and the whole thing should fall into place.
so unless TT objects,
He doesn't. :D
Steve

Tetenterre

#935 Post by Tetenterre » May 12th, 2017, 10:49 am

animist wrote:

Sexy top-down logic:
Henniken penniken
I can see that this will be another two-year job :laughter: unless you provide a lot more clues. I assume that the word "Reasoning" is not in the answer?
OK, another clue: What's the alternative to inductive reasoning?
Steve

animist

#936 Post by animist » May 12th, 2017, 11:01 am

Tetenterre wrote:
animist wrote:

Sexy top-down logic:
Henniken penniken
OK, another clue: "What's the alternative to inductive reasoning?
ah, instant enlightenment - I could not see any promising phrase corresponding to "topdown", but I do know the difference between inductive and deductive. So must be: deduction seduction.

Haven't got another one ready - how about you, Vinnie? Look back at the early puzzles in this thread and I am sure you'll think of a Hen, Henny, Henniken or whatever :smile:

animist

#937 Post by animist » May 12th, 2017, 2:03 pm

got a new one!

distinctly omnivorous dish which consists of a flowering wild plant, usually regarded as a weed and usually in fact poisonous though used medicinally, and a hot animal leg joint cooked in hot oil

Hen Nik Ken Penniken

Tetenterre

#938 Post by Tetenterre » May 12th, 2017, 3:46 pm

animist wrote: deduction seduction.
Seductive deductive, but who cares that "sexy" was an adjective :laughter:
Steve

Tetenterre

#939 Post by Tetenterre » May 12th, 2017, 4:03 pm

animist wrote:distinctly omnivorous dish which consists of a flowering wild plant, usually regarded as a weed and usually in fact poisonous though used medicinally, and a hot animal leg joint cooked in hot oil

Hen Nik Ken Penniken
Is the leg joint a hock?
Steve

animist

#940 Post by animist » May 14th, 2017, 9:15 am

Tetenterre wrote:
animist wrote:distinctly omnivorous dish which consists of a flowering wild plant, usually regarded as a weed and usually in fact poisonous though used medicinally, and a hot animal leg joint cooked in hot oil

Hen Nik Ken Penniken
Is the leg joint a hock?
no, it's not a recognised cut of meat at all - just a joint in the biological sense

animist

#941 Post by animist » May 15th, 2017, 8:47 am

animist wrote:
Tetenterre wrote:

Hen Nik Ken Penniken
Is the leg joint a hock?
no, it's not a recognised cut of meat at all - just a joint in the biological sense
not much of a help, but the clue should probably be: Hen-Nik-Ken Penniken. What do you call cooking in oil? On the vegetable aspect, the plant, though apparently poisonous, has been used as girl's name which, apart from the letter "y" at the end, sounds like a boy's name, which itself featured in the title of a Monty Python film