INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

E-Prime

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Trinoc

Re: E-Prime

#21 Post by Trinoc » January 24th, 2010, 6:33 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Hundovir wrote:I've never had Japanese whisky, but I'm led to believe that some of it is rather good. (Suntory?)
I should probably try some before criticising ...
Ardbeg and Laphroaig for me please.
Not heard of Ardbeg before. Laphroaig and its friend Lagavulin are good. Have you tried my favourite, Talisker?
Be skeptical of the things you believe are false, but be very skeptical of the things you believe are true.

Alan C.

#22 Post by Alan C. » January 24th, 2010, 6:57 pm

Ooo! Has this turned into a whisky thread?
"The Singleton" is good (if you can find it)
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

lewist

#23 Post by lewist » January 24th, 2010, 7:10 pm

I regard Talisker very highly. Clynelish presently enriches my evenings.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Emma Woolgatherer

#24 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » January 24th, 2010, 7:22 pm

Trinoc wrote:
Emma Woolgatherer wrote:... you have forced yourself to be specific about the target of the misleading where no such specificity was implied. Consider, perhaps, "Arsenic is poisonous" being changed to "Arsenic poisons people". Does that mean it would not poison dogs?
No, it means that I make no claims about whether arsenic poisons dogs, or horses, or the Golden Poison Frog, or any other animal. Does it not make sense to specify the species, since substances differ in their effects on members of different species? In this case, arsenic does poison dogs. But so do chocolate, grapes and macadamia nuts.

Emma

Emma Woolgatherer

#25 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » January 24th, 2010, 7:25 pm

Marian wrote:
Emma Woolgatherer wrote: ... I wondered whether we could make some kind of Club Soda game out of it. Would that appeal to anyone?
How would such a game work in practice? I want to try :)
Well, I would say that you seem to be playing the game well already. Lewist's contribution fits the bill perfectly, too.

Emma

Trinoc

#26 Post by Trinoc » January 24th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Emma Woolgatherer wrote:No, it means that I make no claims about whether arsenic poisons dogs, or horses, or the Golden Poison Frog, or any other animal. Does it not make sense to specify the species, since substances differ in their effects on members of different species? In this case, arsenic does poison dogs. But so do chocolate, grapes and macadamia nuts.
That's a criticism of my particular example, and supposes that whoever was writing wanted to distinguish arsenic poisoning in humans from arsenic poisoning in other animals. In any given case it may be necessary to be specific, but that is something for the writer to decide, not something to be dictated by the grammar. I suppose I'm resisting the quasi-Orwellian notion that grammar can, or even should, influence what we can and can not think or communicate.

My point is, regardless of how good or bad my example was, that deliberately expunging the verb "to be", or the passive voice (the other main beef of E-Prime), is often more than a matter of style and actually changes the intended meaning.
Be skeptical of the things you believe are false, but be very skeptical of the things you believe are true.

Hundovir

#27 Post by Hundovir » January 24th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Trinoc wrote:Not heard of Ardbeg before. Laphroaig and its friend Lagavulin are good. Have you tried my favourite, Talisker?
They make Ardbeg on Islay. I find it reminiscent of Laphroaig's peaty/iodine/medicinal flavours, but not nearly as pronounced, and with a deep honey sweetness.

Others I have enjoyed over the last couple of years are Glenfiddich "Solera", Glenlivet, The Speyside, Glenmorangie.

The others people have mentioned remain to be discovered by me!

BTW has anyone read the novelist Iain Banks' (he of "The Wasp Factory" fame and also some rather good science fiction) wonderful whisky book "Raw Spirit: in Search of the Perfect Dram"?

Extracts

Trinoc

#28 Post by Trinoc » January 24th, 2010, 8:46 pm

Hundovir wrote:
Trinoc wrote:Not heard of Ardbeg before. Laphroaig and its friend Lagavulin are good. Have you tried my favourite, Talisker?
They make Ardbeg on Islay. I find it reminiscent of Laphroaig's peaty/iodine/medicinal flavours, but not nearly as pronounced, and with a deep honey sweetness.
That's sort of what I like about Talisker.

On the subject of whisky I can't claim to be ... what's the drinking equivalent of "widely read" ... widely drunk ... ?

Some years ago I (among many others) won a New Scientist competition to suggest scientific Xmas gifts for historical figures -- I suggested a set of dice for Einstein and a piece of wood tree ring dated to 4005BC for Archbishop Ussher -- and the prize was a set of malt miniatures: two lowland, two highland, two island. The lowlands were too bland, the highlands better but not peaty enough, Lagavulin was too peaty, Talisker was the Goldilocks whisky, just right.

Marian

#29 Post by Marian » January 24th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Can we specify the rules, please? Do we follow strict adherence to rules? Wikipedia indicates the specific words allowed and prohibited. Pedantism rules!
Transformative fire...

Hundovir

#30 Post by Hundovir » January 24th, 2010, 11:27 pm

Marian wrote:Pedantism rules!
I think you'll find that should be "pedantry rules!" :laughter:

Nick

#31 Post by Nick » January 24th, 2010, 11:30 pm

Marian wrote:Can we specify the rules, please? Do we follow strict adherence to rules? Wikipedia indicates the specific words allowed and prohibited. Pedantism rules!
* splutter splutter*

Pendantism!?!

It's pedantry!

Perleease!

(soddit, Hundovir got there first) :cross:

Nick

#32 Post by Nick » January 24th, 2010, 11:31 pm

OTOH, sorry to diss the central theme of this thread, Emma, but frankly, whisky tastes like detergent. Emperor's new tot, anyone? :exit:

Hundovir

#33 Post by Hundovir » January 24th, 2010, 11:34 pm

BLASPHEMER!!!

Seriously, have you actually tried proper single malt?

Nick

#34 Post by Nick » January 25th, 2010, 12:09 am

Does that wash only one item at a time...? :exit:

Trinoc

#35 Post by Trinoc » January 25th, 2010, 12:19 am

Nick wrote:Does that wash only one item at a time...? :exit:
Burn the heretic! :twisted:

Emma Woolgatherer

#36 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » January 25th, 2010, 1:44 am

Trinoc wrote:In any given case it may be necessary to be specific, but that is something for the writer to decide, not something to be dictated by the grammar. I suppose I'm resisting the quasi-Orwellian notion that grammar can, or even should, influence what we can and can not think or communicate.
But surely it does. All the time. I think E-Prime draws our attention to that by forcing us to change our style in a way that doesn't feel "natural", but normal grammar constrains us too, just in a way that we don't generally notice.
Trinoc wrote:My point is, regardless of how good or bad my example was, that deliberately expunging the verb "to be", or the passive voice (the other main beef of E-Prime), is often more than a matter of style and actually changes the intended meaning.
Yes, sometimes it does. But sometimes it makes the intended meaning clearer, I think. Or at the very least, it makes one think about what one actually does mean. As an exercise, or a game, I think that makes it rather interesting. But then, I do have odd interests ...

Emma

Marian

#37 Post by Marian » January 25th, 2010, 1:53 am

Hundovir wrote: I think you'll find that should be "pedantry rules!" :laughter:
Nick wrote: It's pedantry!
:hilarity: The pendantry police have caught me red-handed! What shall be my punishment? :shock:
Transformative fire...

Emma Woolgatherer

#38 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » January 25th, 2010, 1:59 am

Marian wrote:Can we specify the rules, please? Do we follow strict adherence to rules? Wikipedia indicates the specific words allowed and prohibited. Pedantism rules!
People rarely use the word "pedantism" nowadays, but it appears in the Oxford English Dictionary. Unfortunately, it means "the office or authority of a schoolmaster" or "the state of being under a schoolmaster or teacher, pupillage", so it doesn't quite fit your purpose. I prefer "Pedants rule!" If they did, would would presumably have a "pedantocracy", which also appears in the OED.

I had rather hoped that we could play the game without specifying the rules, since in order to specify the rules we would have to use the words forbidden by E-Prime. But I don't detect much enthusiasm for playing anyway. Bizarrely, it seems they'd rather talk about whisky. Extraordinary.

Emma

Emma Woolgatherer

#39 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » January 25th, 2010, 2:06 am

Nick wrote:OTOH, sorry to diss the central theme of this thread, Emma
Diss away, Nick. My nose remains covered in skin.
Nick wrote:... but frankly, whisky tastes like detergent. Emperor's new tot, anyone? :exit:
I have never tasted detergent, but I, too, have been disappointed by the taste of whisky. Except when added to marmalade. Still, each to his or her own. One cannot account for taste. It takes all sorts ...

Emma

Marian

#40 Post by Marian » January 25th, 2010, 3:27 am

Emma Woolgatherer wrote: I had rather hoped that we could play the game without specifying the rules, since in order to specify the rules we would have to use the words forbidden by E-Prime. But I don't detect much enthusiasm for playing anyway. Bizarrely, it seems they'd rather talk about whisky. Extraordinary.Emma
I only asked about the rules because I figured if they talked about whisky, they might just as well play the game properly...to no avail.
Oh right, I forgot. A male friend of mine pointed out that in order to get guys to listen, we should speak directly as in:

Look at Emma's Wiki page on E-prime for the prohibited words. If you slip up, attention will be drawn to the mistake.
I have an idea for acknowledging mistakes. I can give an example if necessary.

Fair enough, Emma? Can the game commence?
Transformative fire...

Ikiru

#41 Post by Ikiru » January 25th, 2010, 7:18 am

Emma Woolgatherer wrote:But I don't detect much enthusiasm for playing anyway. Bizarrely, it seems they'd rather talk about whisky. Extraordinary.

Emma
As long as they talk about whiskey in E-prime. :wink: I prefer Hakutsuru sake, chilled. Smooth stuff.

I think taking lifting quotes from political and religious ideologues would be interesting actually (on the left or the right). How would such statements stand in E-prime? They would certainly lose their rhetorical force.

I'll dig up some quotes this week and see what I can come up with.
Sketches from Life
“The materials for poetry are all about you in profusion.” ~ Masaoka Shiki