INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Talk to Yourself

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
jaywhat

Re: Talk to Yourself

#181 Post by jaywhat » November 24th, 2010, 5:58 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Just been on the Countdown thread and mumbled away there about putting the number on before doing anything else. This is what I said:
Now I have put the number first so that I cannot do anything wrong today. Put the number first; concentrate on getting it right, then everything will fall into place and your day will proceed with calm enjoyment.
Once you have put the number and ensured that it is one less than the previous post you can make a nice comment to the local gang and even a witty something or other that is on your lips.
Of course, by then you will ready for a coffee and have nothing much to say.

..but what a bloody waste of a life spending time putting bloody rubbish on this so accomodating forum.
There are people somewhere arguing about what exactly a cryptic clue is and somewhere else they are dithering over what word makes any sense if you put it after this word and before that word - and I do not know what they are talking about. Sometimes I feel they don't either.
It's a surreal world here, but I guess I guess it is better than reality.

Dave B

#182 Post by Dave B » November 24th, 2010, 3:10 pm

Hmmm, jaywat's mumblings echoed mine a bit. Why do I spend time here on inconsequentials (in the big picture) when I could be out there, liked the Crap Crusader, saving humanity from itself?

I suppose going on marches etc. does achieve things sometimes, just the sheer frequency of them must give the powers-that-be some idea that the populous is a tad pissed off. But then, if we all supported the petitions and sent letters to our MPs etc., by the truckload, that will make a similar impression. Getting too old and infirm to stand in the street and shout now.

So, doing what one can, practically, for one's community,trying to make it a better place; supporting those things that one feels the need to etc. etc. is still useful. Then, to help keep the old grey stuff working and have a bit of fun what is wrong with diverting from "good works" every now and again to see what one's internet mates on the forum are up to, and have a giggle.

Better than watching the bloody idiot lantern any day!

So, wonder if there are any new clues . . .
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Compassionist

#183 Post by Compassionist » November 25th, 2010, 7:38 am

The trouble with relgions is that while human rights grant religious freedom, religions are intolerant of human rights. Human rights are far more gracious and virtuous than certain religious teachings which are dogmatic, exclusivistic, sectarian, hypocritical and violent to say the least.

thundril

#184 Post by thundril » November 25th, 2010, 9:57 pm

I get the spooky feeling I'm not the only person on this thread/forum/program/channel whatever the word is, who doesn't know exactly the why's and the wherefores of all this. It's kinda fun, in a way that leaves me feeling that there's a point to it somewhere, which doesn't happen with most activities..
Last week, my partner's practice rig blew into the drydock in the gales, taking our wind generator with it. Took me ages to design and build that bloody rig. And the wind genny was 500 quid.
Got a "360" to fish it out. Most of the rig is salvageable, and maybe the genny will work when it's dried out. Iff we get some new blades for it...

animist

#185 Post by animist » November 27th, 2010, 8:43 pm

getreal wrote:Well I don't, because mostly I don't have any and I can't argue at all. I just get hot and bothered and have to look up one of the 3 dictionaries I keep by my side. My spelling and vocabulary have inproved though.

And I now know what ad hominem means.

Yeah! but you had to look it up to spell it correctly!
sorry to dredge this up (fascinating to see what people were saying on TH before I joined). "Ad hominem" - hard to imagine someone NOT learning this except by asking someone or a dictionary. I am interested in types of argument but for a long time thought this phrase meant, sort of, throwing the argument back at the opponent (eg "you can't prove that because..."; "well, neither can you disprove it, for the same reason!") I thought "hominem" meant "same" but in fact it's "man"

getreal

#186 Post by getreal » November 28th, 2010, 12:35 pm

Well that was very therapeutic! Reading my post back made it all fall into place and made me realise how trivial it all was!

I deleted it.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

animist

#187 Post by animist » November 28th, 2010, 5:47 pm

ok, this time it is about me (or moi as I like to say for effect, but I assume this thread is supposed to sound as though one is unaware of the presence of others - within reason); anyway, I think it (like all the more personal things in TH) is great. I was very socially retarded when young (probably I still am but am happier with it, and I really do prefer being old to being young - anyone else feel this way? Oops, forgot this is supposed to be private.) My parents and circumstances were so comfortable that I never wanted to grow up, go anywhere (except by studying atlases) or make friends, though I disliked being left out. Time is a great booter-up-the-arse, however, and I could not pretend that my parents were unchanging - or myself for that matter. Eventually, somehow, I got married, and even more eventually had a child through whom I could sort of relive my childhood security experience. She (who, thank whoever, is not like me) is now grown up, so my next opportunity to relive childhood is - grandchildren!

Dave B

#188 Post by Dave B » November 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Hmm, animist's thoughts seem, at first glance, almost the opposite to mine. My childhood was spent trying to escape the family - I would spend the whole day walking, later cycling, for miles all alone (it was not seen as unsafe in those days, though there were perverts around even then) - trying to gauge it right so I got home just in time for tea. The off to my bedroom to read or work on some project.

But, yes, age has brought some relaxation (along with the ills). I know that I no longer have to try to "escape", there are few choices as to where I can go now that I depend on lots of chemicals and electronic support. Is this a kind of maturity? Is maturity some kind of semi-fatalistic state?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Gottard

#189 Post by Gottard » November 29th, 2010, 5:21 pm

Animist wrote "I was very socially retarded when young (probably I still am but am happier with it, and I really do prefer being old to being young - anyone else feel this way?"
Me too Animist! It is surely due to my childhood spent in Sicily (never integrated there) and the confinement inside my house where mates/friends were allowed but I could not return visits for security reasons (mafia). Luckily, the house was surrounded by a large garden and the local soil (volcanic and powdery) served as toy-bombs in our simulated battles.

Bave B wrote:"Is maturity some kind of semi-fatalistic state?"
Don't really think so! I know some old chaps other than 'mature'; I believe maturity lays inside a mind ....assuming a "mature mind".
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Marian

#190 Post by Marian » November 29th, 2010, 6:03 pm

So this is how it feels to start the slow process of going completely off my rocker. Fascinating. It's both scary and interesting at the same time. Like seeing the anatomy of a breakdown. I thought I was strong enough to deal with it all. I know what I know. I know what I see and what I hear. But things are happening to make me question this. Still, I must ask someone if they think me quite mad.
Transformative fire...

animist

#191 Post by animist » November 29th, 2010, 7:52 pm

Marian wrote:So this is how it feels to start the slow process of going completely off my rocker. Fascinating. It's both scary and interesting at the same time. Like seeing the anatomy of a breakdown. I thought I was strong enough to deal with it all. I know what I know. I know what I see and what I hear. But things are happening to make me question this. Still, I must ask someone if they think me quite mad.
Marian, if it is any help, you never sound off your rocker; this is a bit disturbing, though, hearing this. Has anything happened to you?

Marian

#192 Post by Marian » November 30th, 2010, 2:52 am

animist wrote:
Marian wrote:So this is how it feels to start the slow process of going completely off my rocker. Fascinating. It's both scary and interesting at the same time. Like seeing the anatomy of a breakdown. I thought I was strong enough to deal with it all. I know what I know. I know what I see and what I hear. But things are happening to make me question this. Still, I must ask someone if they think me quite mad.
Marian, if it is any help, you never sound off your rocker; this is a bit disturbing, though, hearing this. Has anything happened to you?
I swear I just heard Dave B ask me if I'm ok whilst I was talking to myself. I better answer. I wouldn't want him to worry. In a way, yes, something has happened. I've been the recipient of some 'gaslighting' by a couple of people: one, a fellow atheist (not on this site) who didn't like when I pinned them down on some errant behaviour and two, someone I know very well who felt it was their duty to try and manipulate all the while attempting to pretend they are completely innocent. Just a decent head-f**k--said in the most sarcastic way possible. See, I know I'm gonna be ok because the angries are kicking in. I don't like to be treated like shite and I'm gonna fight back in the nicest way possible. :wink:

PS. Thanks for the support, D.
Transformative fire...

animist

#193 Post by animist » November 30th, 2010, 10:37 am

Marian wrote:
animist wrote:
I swear I just heard Dave B ask me if I'm ok whilst I was talking to myself. I better answer. I wouldn't want him to worry. In a way, yes, something has happened. I've been the recipient of some 'gaslighting' by a couple of people: one, a fellow atheist (not on this site) who didn't like when I pinned them down on some errant behaviour and two, someone I know very well who felt it was their duty to try and manipulate all the while attempting to pretend they are completely innocent. Just a decent head-f**k--said in the most sarcastic way possible. See, I know I'm gonna be ok because the angries are kicking in. I don't like to be treated like shite and I'm gonna fight back in the nicest way possible. :wink:

PS. Thanks for the support, D.
hi Marian - Dave B may have said something, I don't know, but this is me, Animist (real name Peter, with whom you have a few fun scraps). I am a bit worried about you, and we are a long way apart, but you know that all Think Humanism people are just a keystroke away - hope you feel OK

jaywhat

#194 Post by jaywhat » November 30th, 2010, 2:17 pm

This thread is, of course, for talking to yourself, jaywhat!
You have to hope that no-one either answers you or interrupts your thought processes.
They are a very helpful lot on this forum and they think that replying to your little mutterings will help you out of your slough of despond. If only... :smile:

I think I will move into my comfy chair and have a little read prior to dozing off before my afternoon mug of tea.

Marian

#195 Post by Marian » November 30th, 2010, 4:01 pm

animist wrote:hi Marian - Dave B may have said something, I don't know, but this is me, Animist (real name Peter, with whom you have a few fun scraps). I am a bit worried about you, and we are a long way apart, but you know that all Think Humanism people are just a keystroke away - hope you feel OK
Oh crap! Animist does a nice turn for me and I can't even thank the right person! Sorry, Peter.
Transformative fire...

Dave B

#196 Post by Dave B » November 30th, 2010, 7:03 pm

Dave B didn't say anything that he knew of, but if he had it would have been words of concern and an attempt to dispel those negative thoughts. Stick with it friend!
Me, 2015

getreal

#197 Post by getreal » November 30th, 2010, 11:50 pm

Why are people talking to one another? Am I the only one who follows the rules? This is what is wrong with the world today. Everyone thinks they can just do as they like and to hell with social convention.

No wonder our banks failed!
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Dave B

#198 Post by Dave B » December 1st, 2010, 2:56 pm

Me, 2015

thundril

#199 Post by thundril » December 1st, 2010, 11:28 pm

Nice to get somewhere where I can just talk to myself. It's always good to have a chat with someone who understands you!

Dave B

#200 Post by Dave B » December 2nd, 2010, 8:03 pm

Oh no, I may have contracted man-flu! Eyes feel like golf balls, sore throat, nose keeps running, explosive cough but none of them quite bad enough to stop me soldiering on with the chores . . . Hang on, is that more like woman-flu? Hope I'm not suffering gender reassignment at this age! :sad2:
Me, 2015

Nick

#201 Post by Nick » December 2nd, 2010, 11:22 pm

Doctor! Doctor! I think I'm suffering from bird flu!
Spoiler:
I chatter incessantly and can't park the car!

Jolly good thing I'm just talking to myself, or I might be called sexist.