INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Talk to Yourself

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
lewist

Re: Talk to Yourself

#121 Post by lewist » September 30th, 2009, 5:08 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Hi thundril, how you keeping?
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Paolo

#122 Post by Paolo » October 28th, 2009, 11:59 am

Steve Jones is coming to the museum today to help judge our Darwin photo competition entries (which are stunning) - it should be an interesting birthday afternoon, though it's a shame that Kate Humble and Randal Keynes can't make it.

Looking forward to the winning entries going on display!

I love my job.

jaywhat

#123 Post by jaywhat » November 15th, 2009, 4:57 pm

I would now be talking to myself, but have not got anything to say which I haven't said already elsewhere.
Might put summat on the poetry thread - might not.

jaywhat

#124 Post by jaywhat » December 12th, 2009, 6:29 am

Nearly a month since last talking to myself. I got up too early this morning with plans to be so bloody busy and creative and I have been wasting an hour here and there. Now I have to wait till half eleven for ebay to finish selling my old office chair. It will go because there is one bidder and with a bit of luck at about eleven there will be eleven and someone will pay £359 for this old piece of junk. Time I dusted it and polished the leather seat - but I probably won't bother.
Thought of making a cuppa but think I' ll wait for Nin and brekka - I'll only have to feed bloody Darwin if I go down now.
Need to start another letter to my mother. Only posted one yesterday but it's good to get one started and then pop back to it now and again. Little does she know that I save everything on my computer. Start with the template of my address and 'Dear Mum', then just leave it untouched for a few days until something happens - like it rains or I have to get a packet of bird seeds form the cat shop.

getreal

#125 Post by getreal » December 15th, 2009, 12:39 am

Someone has been very rude to me on another forum. Why do I let this bother me so? It's the same guy who upset me before and I can't stop myself wondering why he dislikes me so much. Why do I even care what a 20something-computer-geek-who-is-so-up-his-own-arsehe-must-have- difficulty-breathing thinks of me? I'm a grandmother for fuck's sake! I should really just forget about this and go to bed. I have a new book about radical islam to start. I hope we are never raided by the police. I seem to have quite a few books on radical islam now. They may wonder why. Don't think there's many grey haired grandmothers in al qaeda, though.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

jaywhat

#126 Post by jaywhat » December 19th, 2009, 10:01 am

Mumble grumble humble jungle and snow and fucking ice and too slippery for old gimmers to go out and only yesterday I had to pick up an old guy who had slipped on the path and just could not get up and another guy helped me get him on his feet but althouth he said he would be Ok I was not so sure as he shuffled round the corner. Now I am thinking we managed in the was and we have enough tins of beans to go with our porridge.
The birds are presumably grateful for our seeeds and bread and water - but alos like the ice on the pond and amzingly still enjoy a wash - in freezing water and its minus .5c out there and 10am.

Marian

#127 Post by Marian » December 19th, 2009, 12:16 pm

Mutter, mutter, grumble, hiss...yess, my precioussss, they don't know the whole of it. See only what they want to see. Yesss, wouldn't have happened without usss. Maybe no more help for them, yesss.

Stop that! Be quiet, I say! People are gonna think you are a total nutter. --Yesss, but it's not fair to my preciousss.-- That might be true but get over it already!
Transformative fire...

jaywhat

#128 Post by jaywhat » December 28th, 2009, 7:29 am

Three more emails this morning about people not going to make it to the poetry workshop this evening. So that's good. I guess we will drop out as well and what a relief! It has made my day and now I am wondering why I go at all. The pub is getting me down - hardly anyone in it and not a smile in sight. How do they make any money? It has been shut down and then under new management every few months over the past couple of years and I know it will be closed quite unexpectedly and our weekly workshops, which are a load of bollocks anyway will die - and as for our monthly reading with up to 40 people in the back room. What a world.

jaywhat

#129 Post by jaywhat » March 24th, 2010, 6:22 am

Well the Albert is looking up a bit with new smiling people and things a bit more positive - but the passage of time helps I suppose.
Today is Wednesday and it was Saturday that we stood there while the vet killed Darwin. he hadn't a clue, he trusted us and we did what was right but I am still as sad as hell. I never knew a cat could be so important in a human's life. I am still cleaning white hairs from every surface and corner in the house and feeling guilty, feeling I should leave them there. Will I cry

getreal

#130 Post by getreal » March 26th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Oh, I'm knackered.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

jaywhat

#131 Post by jaywhat » March 27th, 2010, 2:26 pm

Both been feeling shitty, but today with the sun out and a bit of clearing up in the garden under our belts we are on the up. I think I shall now read a bit more of my Sarah Waters "Fingersmith". What a bloody brilliant writer. Amazing.

Ken H

#132 Post by Ken H » May 3rd, 2010, 6:36 pm

I hope no one here has stock in BP. The damages may be astronomical.
Florida Gov. Crist has extended the oil emergency down to Sarasota today. Still no stopping of the flow.
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Nick

#133 Post by Nick » May 4th, 2010, 1:02 am

Ken H wrote:I hope no one here has stock in BP. The damages may be astronomical.
They may have catastrophe insurance, in which case I pity their insurers, probably Lloyds of London....

Ken H

#134 Post by Ken H » May 4th, 2010, 2:35 am

I think Transocean (a Swiss Company) may share in some of the liability, as they're the ones that were operating the rig for BP. The lawyers are sharpening their pencils now...

There are rumors that inspections were bypassed. Lets just hope they can get the oil flow stopped as soon as possible.

Sarah Palin's "Drill, baby, drill" pithy slogan has suddenly gone quiet, as have the pro-drilling Republicans in the Florida legislature.
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Lorikeet

#135 Post by Lorikeet » May 4th, 2010, 3:25 pm

I'm sleepy.
All humans are brothers. We came from the same supernova.

Nick

#136 Post by Nick » May 4th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Ken H wrote:Sarah Palin's "Drill, baby, drill" pithy slogan has suddenly gone quiet, as have the pro-drilling Republicans in the Florida legislature.
Not to mention Arnie in California. Was he ignorant before, or spineless now...? Given (some, or is that most?) Californians love of cheap 'gas', this smacks of eco-mimbyism, don't you think?

Ken H

#137 Post by Ken H » May 4th, 2010, 8:48 pm

Lorikeet wrote:I'm sleepy.
Hi Sleepy, I'm Dopey. Have you seen Sneezy or Grumpy today?

@Nick, dunno about Arnie. He has a high "greenopia" rating from conservationists. I know they have had the toughest emission standards on cars in California for quite a while now.

Nick

#138 Post by Nick » May 5th, 2010, 6:13 pm

Why is that politicians keep on advocating 'change', when most people are upset when 'change' affects them.... :shrug:

Lorikeet

#139 Post by Lorikeet » May 5th, 2010, 6:24 pm

Two of my colleagues are on my "to be strangled" list right now. Thank goodness neither of them are likely to show up at work tomorrow :angry: :twisted:
All humans are brothers. We came from the same supernova.

getreal

#140 Post by getreal » May 8th, 2010, 5:59 pm

Why am I the only one who bothers? It wasn't even MY father's 80th birthday-it was my father IN-LAW's birthday. He already has 2 sons, but you wouldn't know it. The one I married is as thoughtful as someone with Asperger's can be while his other son lives at the other end of the country and barely lifts the phone to ask how he is. So, why is it up to ME to organise a birthday thing? I'm the one they didn't like. I'm the one who got given the "rose prunings that were a bit too good to go on the compost heap" when I lay in a hospital bed with my leg broken in 2 places after a bike crash. I'm the one who was hurt beyond belief when they said "well that didn't come from our side of the family" when I gave birth to a damaged son.

Sometimes I just hate my husband's family.

on second thoughts, sometimes I just hate everyone.

Nick

#141 Post by Nick » May 8th, 2010, 6:17 pm

{{{getreal}}}} I'm beginning to understand the polar bear....