INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Talk to Yourself

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Sel

Re: Talk to Yourself

#401 Post by Sel » February 8th, 2015, 2:02 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Well guys, I have only myself to talk to. Friends have gifted me a week at their timeshare condo in Fairmon Hot Springs, BC.
http://mountainsidevillas.com/
Do not be fooled by the pictures. This is winter and in the interior valleys that means rain and/or snow.

The place is gorgeous but the drive here was a wee bit of a horror show. Let me bore you with the details.

I left Calgary at 9AM Friday morning. it was -13°C. Thirty minutes out of town, at the bottom of Scott Lake Hill it was still that temp. At the top of the hill it was +5C (the entire car covered instantly in a thin mist - I could not see out!)..At the bottom of the hill...back to -13░

About 5 minutes later the Chinook winds hit ( the news says they were 100km/hr) and the temperature again rose to +5°C! I have witnessed Chinooks changing the temperature dramatically but never before have I been on the edge of one, out of it again and back in!

That temp held till West of Banff when I hit a snowstorm. But with the temp hovering around freezing, the road was covered in bone jarring freezing slush. The road up the pass to Radium was dreadful for about 45 miles them the slush softed, then disappeared and I was on wet roads with rain as I pulled out of the mountain parks.

My planned 3 hr drive took 4 hrs but I did arrive safely.

By way of explanation...we here in the West describe distances in hours. Calgary to Banff - 1 hr; Calgary to Edmonton 3 1/4 hrs; Calgary to Vancouver 12 hrs (I do it in 10 1\2) and we say "overnight to Winnipeg! Calgary to this condo - 3 1/4 hrs

and this...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

jaywhat

#402 Post by jaywhat » February 8th, 2015, 7:12 am

Now don't make a big thing of it Jaywhat; just because this is the Talk to YOURSELF thread does not mean you have to ignore everyone else. Perhaps you should apologise for not 'speaking' to other posters - after all it is probably what being human is about - having contact with your fellow human beings and so on.
I should not feel bad about things I do or say, and to be honest, I don't do I?
Now that cat wants me to go down and be sociable with her - I should make a thread for her so she can communicate with other cats, or even humans for that matter; perhaps not because I could not be responsible for what she put on it.

Sel

#403 Post by Sel » February 8th, 2015, 3:39 pm

hmmmm
Right...I should just talk to myself..
sorry

I was going to move the post but cannot figure out how.
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

getreal

#404 Post by getreal » February 8th, 2015, 4:41 pm

It's lovely having family to stay.really lovely. And I love them to bits. But it's just so nice when the house is all quiet and not full of clothes, toys and discarded shoes. It's ice being able to see the tv screen for a change. How do children get their hands so sicky?

And I won't have to watch Frozen for a long time....oh. A long time. I won't see them for a long time.. Makes me sad to think I won't see them for a long time. And the house is eerily quiet. Oh! I'm such a contrary woman! Now. Get off your far arse and start putting these toys away for next time.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Fia

#405 Post by Fia » February 8th, 2015, 9:13 pm

Sel wrote:hmmmm
Right...I should just talk to myself..
sorry

I was going to move the post but cannot figure out how.
Sel, many say rules are there to be broken. Sometimes when you talk to yourself others overhear you and interact, like if I exclaim FFS and folk are around they'll ask what's bugging me, or exclaim Yay! and they want to know what's cheered me.

Travelling in winter is almost always a challenge for anyone who isn't urban. Glad you've arrived and hope you thoroughly enjoy your break in what looks like a wonderful place.

Fia

#406 Post by Fia » February 8th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Whilst I'm breaking rules I strongly suggest Jaywhat starts a facebook page for his cat :twisted:

And I fully get Getreal's incongruity of empty nesting again. Not having youngsters about I have managed to duck Frozen.
I've never seen starwars either :D

jaywhat

#407 Post by jaywhat » February 11th, 2015, 8:23 am

If he asks himself what is the connection between a boy holding a cabbage bigger than his head, a train stopping unexpectedly and a memory of being about seven years old the obvious answer would be having a bad dream when in fact it is simply a list of things he has to write about after a visit to the poetry workshop. Adelstrop here I come.

thundril

#408 Post by thundril » February 12th, 2015, 3:08 pm

Blackbird singing in the dead of night;
Fat lady walking in a field in gloves.
All my life
I've been waiting for an opportunity to link these two lines.

jaywhat

#409 Post by jaywhat » February 27th, 2015, 10:06 am

This laptop is taking a bit of getting used to and is trying my patience just a tad. It shows what a sad git I am - need my computer or the world does not move ahead for me. Not a word from computer man - I cannot get impatient with him as he thinks I am a bishop and I do not want him to be dispossessed of this useful information.

jaywhat

#410 Post by jaywhat » February 28th, 2015, 2:21 pm

That was this morning and computerman tells me he will be here somewhat later with something for me. If it is what I think it is, this is the end of my writing this rubbish on this laptop.

Dave B

#411 Post by Dave B » February 28th, 2015, 3:05 pm

I wonder if he just has a big bill for jaywhat?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

thundril

#412 Post by thundril » February 28th, 2015, 4:13 pm

Dave posted something a little while back about a counter-tract, to give to proselytisers. Can't find the post now, but I've written one, and when I get access to a printer, I'll run a few copies off, and keep them somewhere handy. Then I'll hand them to the preacher with a deal, 'You stand here and read my leaflet, I'll read yours, and then we'll have a debate'.
Here is my anti-tract:

Assume that your God is Maximally Knowledgeable, Maximally Wise, Maximally Loving and Maximally Merciful.
Assume He has a message that would be important for the spiritual well-being of all mankind.

Assume this message is the one you are currently preaching,

and further assume that all mankind hasn’t already received and understood this message (otherwise, why are you out here preaching it?)
Why hasn’t all of mankind already received and understood this message?

1: Do you believe that God didn’t even try to transmit this vitally urgent message to all mankind, in the most efficient manner He could devise, (contradicting the Maximally Loving attribute)
2. Do you believe that God tried and failed to transmit that message, (contradicting the Maximally Powerful attribute)
3. Do you believe that He hadn’t foreseen that some of us, before we could even hear this message, would get ourselves into a state where it would be difficult for us to receive and understand the message when (if) it ever reached us (contradicting the Maximally Knowledgeable attribute)
Do you believe He knew about the bad state some us would get ourselves into without ever hearing the message, but thought it would serve us right (contradicting the Maximally Merciful attribute)

Otherwise;

if your God possesses all of the attributes listed above, how come most of mankind, throughout most of our history, across most of this planet, have never heard this message in a form they could understand?

Is it because
a) The message you are trying to transmit isn’t vitally urgent for the well-being of all mankind
or b) He chose a very inefficient way of transmitting this vitally urgent message (preachers wandering the world, telling conflicting stories by word of mouth, with no real evidence to help and support them)
or c) One or more of our starting assumptions about God’s attributes is not correct
???
Feel free to modify and/or copy. No rights reserved.

jaywhat

#413 Post by jaywhat » March 1st, 2015, 9:04 am

Haven't got time to talk to myself this morning as I have my pc back (bill for £60) and everything on it is lost so I am technically a stranger on thinkhu.
Computerman says he can get ntl to send me all my past emails over years back - I am not going to bother, why should I keep my past when what i really need is a future.

jaywhat

#414 Post by jaywhat » March 2nd, 2015, 10:25 am

Now I am thinking about getting an external thingyob for savinging everything as I go along. Wish I could get Freecell on this new harddrive....

Dave B

#415 Post by Dave B » June 19th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Well, finally given in to the decrepitude of old age and Ill health.

I have joined Shopmobiliy, I am on the silver band for sheltered housing and my blue badge arrived today.

Fairwell, youth, fairwell vigour - not sure if I ever had any vim . . . Except in the kitchen of course.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#416 Post by jaywhat » June 20th, 2015, 6:49 am

Oh dear, one feels old as days pass slowly and one avoids doing things that one does not want to do and then one finds there is nothing one wants to do and so one does nothing. Talking to myself is even quite hard.

Fia

#417 Post by Fia » June 21st, 2015, 3:19 pm

Particularly for Dave B, I read this today:

"I wish I had the wisdom of a 90yr old, the body of a 20yr old and the energy of a toddler." :D

Dave B

#418 Post by Dave B » June 21st, 2015, 5:56 pm

Fia wrote:Particularly for Dave B, I read this today:

"I wish I had the wisdom of a 90yr old, the body of a 20yr old and the energy of a toddler." :D
Thanks, Fia.

Yup, that's a corollary on, "Youth is wasted on the young."
Me, 2015

kowalskil

#419 Post by kowalskil » August 31st, 2015, 4:19 pm

Alan H wrote:I have to talk to myself...I'm the only one who understands me. :sad:
This is not unusual.
Ludwik Kowalski, a retired nuclear physicist, and author of “Diary of a Former Communist,” at:

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html

Writing this online document was a moral obligation to my parents, and to other victims of Stalinism.

Dave B

#420 Post by Dave B » August 31st, 2015, 6:18 pm

What am I talking about?
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#421 Post by jaywhat » January 7th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Put the bin stuff out (in the cold) and filled the bird feeder so that feels good. Now the pond pump has to be sorted before the ice arrives - but not today.
Meanwhile we have just come back on line having been off (not just Thinkhu) so that makes one feel better - and tv is back on so just watched Bargain Hunt on catch up. Also well on the way to sorting out the heating so it is not too cold for me and not too hot for Ninny. Us old men are a real pain in the neck.