INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

STEMNET

For discussions related to education and educational institutions.
Dave B

STEMNET

#1 Post by Dave B » March 8th, 2015, 10:21 am

Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths for schools.

I will leave the details to the website but I have applied for membership as an "ambassador" and am awaiting "indoctrination", oh, and criminal records clearance, yet to be applied for.

Been doing a bit to quietly promote science in the local faith school (who told me of STEMNET), just donated a bat detector. Well, seemed like an interesting toy to buy a couple of years ago.

They don't know that I am a humanist yet but I actually doubt that it will make that much difference, it is not a "strong" faith school - education comes first. If it comes up it will get an airing, otherwise I will keep quiet about it.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

Re: STEMNET

#2 Post by Alan H » March 8th, 2015, 11:06 am

Good for you! Let us know how it goes.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Altfish

#3 Post by Altfish » March 8th, 2015, 12:13 pm

Nice one Dave, as Alan says, let us know how you get on.

Tetenterre

#4 Post by Tetenterre » March 8th, 2015, 12:53 pm

Good on you, Dave! I've been a STEM Ambassador for a while now. Enormously rewarding. I'm doing a whole school "astronomy assembly" tomorrow in my local junior school, in preparation for the eclipse on the 20th (when I will be back, working with yr 6).
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » March 8th, 2015, 5:06 pm

Tetenterre wrote:Good on you, Dave! I've been a STEM Ambassador for a while now. Enormously rewarding. I'm doing a whole school "astronomy assembly" tomorrow in my local junior school, in preparation for the eclipse on the 20th (when I will be back, working with yr 6).
Not sure just what I can offer as yet. I have a wide range of practical experience in many fields but little theory or depth. As a friend once said, you knly have to be one answer ahead of the kids!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Compassionist

#6 Post by Compassionist » March 8th, 2015, 10:33 pm

I recently became a STEM ambassador.

Fia

#7 Post by Fia » March 8th, 2015, 10:40 pm

How exciting :D

Watch out Alan, they'll be wanting their own subforum next :)

Nick

#8 Post by Nick » March 12th, 2015, 7:28 pm

Power to your elbow, Dave. Gives your arse a rest from being sat on. (Like mine is...) :D