INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

2016 US election

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Ken H

Re: 2016 US election

#61 Post by Ken H » April 29th, 2016, 6:53 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Could the US election get any crazier?

The former Republican Speaker of the House, John Boehner, spoke of Ted Cruz:
"Lucifer in the flesh," Boehner told Stanford's David Kennedy, a history professor emeritus, according to the Stanford Daily. "I have Democrat friends and Republican friends. I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life."
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/28/politics/ ... -stanford/

Meanwhile, Cruz, thinking he might soon be president, chooses Carly Fiorina as his running mate. Fiorina was the CEO of Hewlett-Packard who ran the company into the ground and then got canned. What a fine team that makes!

Trump, who has vowed to cause trouble at the convention if the Republicans try to deny him the candidacy, would probably pick the equally boisterous Chris Christie as V.P., although he is quite fond of Sarah Palin also.

Interestingly: "Searches for 'Move to Canada' are higher than at any time in Google history".
http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-m ... ay-success
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Dave B

#62 Post by Dave B » April 29th, 2016, 8:48 pm

One day someone is going to make a great tragi-comic opera out of this!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#63 Post by Alan H » May 1st, 2016, 5:26 pm

Obama's last correspondents' dinner - can you imagine Dodgy Dave doing this?

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#64 Post by Dave B » May 1st, 2016, 5:53 pm

Haven't listened to it all but the man has a delivery as good as many stand-up comedians. And better jokes (whoever wrote them).
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Ken H

#65 Post by Ken H » May 1st, 2016, 9:31 pm

That was good. I hadn't seen it before.

I'm sure he could always find a job on Saturday Night LIve. Tina Fey could use a new face for her political interchanges. :smile:

You got the Tubman joke, right?
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Alan H

#66 Post by Alan H » May 1st, 2016, 9:33 pm

Ken H wrote:You got the Tubman joke, right?
Nah. There were a few things that went over my head!
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#67 Post by Alan H » May 1st, 2016, 9:35 pm

Alan H wrote:
Ken H wrote:That was good. I hadn't seen it before.
I think it only took place last night!
You got the Tubman joke, right?
Alan Henness

Ken H

#68 Post by Ken H » May 1st, 2016, 9:40 pm

Alan H wrote:
"Earn me some serious Tubman."
On the $20 bill, they plan to replace Jackson's image with Harriet Tubman, a former slave who became a civil rights leader and a hero to many.

Alan H

#69 Post by Alan H » May 1st, 2016, 10:19 pm

Ken H wrote:
Alan H wrote:
"Earn me some serious Tubman."
On the $20 bill, they plan to replace Jackson's image with Harriet Tubman, a former slave who became a civil rights leader and a hero to many.
Ah. Yes. I heard about that. When are you guys going to sort your bills out and make them different sizes and colours like the rest of the world? :-)
Alan Henness

Ken H

#70 Post by Ken H » May 1st, 2016, 10:57 pm

> :D Ah. Yes. I heard about that. When are you guys going to sort your bills out and make them different sizes and colours like the rest of the world? :-)

Some of the new bills do have different colors on them. As far as different sizes go, imagine the costs to change out all the nation's cash register drawers! Anyway, who uses cash nowadays? :D

Alan H

#71 Post by Alan H » May 2nd, 2016, 12:06 am

Ken H wrote:> :D Ah. Yes. I heard about that. When are you guys going to sort your bills out and make them different sizes and colours like the rest of the world? :-)

Some of the new bills do have different colors on them. As far as different sizes go, imagine the costs to change out all the nation's cash register drawers! Anyway, who uses cash nowadays? :D
True... But do you still have to sign when you use a card or do you have PINs now? NFC?
Alan Henness

Ken H

#72 Post by Ken H » May 2nd, 2016, 12:55 am

Alan H wrote:
Ken H wrote:> :D Ah. Yes. I heard about that. When are you guys going to sort your bills out and make them different sizes and colours like the rest of the world? :-)

True... But do you still have to sign when you use a card or do you have PINs now? NFC?
We haven't had to sign for years now. PINs are the norm for for debit cards. RFIDs were popular for a short time, but have mostly been replaced by chips (we were late in getting those compared to Europe). Safer yet, would be chip and PIN, but I haven't seen that technology here yet. NFC as implemented in smart phones? Yes, some places accept them.

Alan H

#73 Post by Alan H » May 2nd, 2016, 1:12 am

Ken H wrote:We haven't had to sign for years now. PINs are the norm for for debit cards. RFIDs were popular for a short time, but have mostly been replaced by chips (we were late in getting those compared to Europe). Safer yet, would be chip and PIN, but I haven't seen that technology here yet. NFC as implemented in smart phones? Yes, some places accept them.
It doesn't seem that long ago I had to sign a debit card receipt in a grocery store in Key West, but it was probably when we were there either 5 or 10 years ago! Everything here has chip and pin for many years and NFC if fairly universal now - even on all London busses and tubes as well as our local supermarkets.
Alan Henness

Ken H

#74 Post by Ken H » May 2nd, 2016, 2:10 am

Yeah, we do have to sign electronically for credit cards if over a certain amount, but not for debit cards. Don't know why they bother with signing the display screen as one can't do more than a wild scribble that's unreadable.

Changing technology is quite expensive for the banks, and we've gone through quite a few changes in the last few years. They are certainly reluctant to do so until the people demand better protection or the government steps in.

Dave B

#75 Post by Dave B » May 3rd, 2016, 9:41 pm

Well, guess who is still ahead
Screenshot_2016-05-03-21-33-45.png
Screenshot_2016-05-03-21-33-45.png (79.9 KiB) Viewed 4701 times
Will Cruz catch those last vital numbers!

Wonder how the laundry and underwear industries are doing on on the shares matkets?
Me, 2015

Alan H

#76 Post by Alan H » May 3rd, 2016, 10:24 pm

Woah! Was I the only one who didn't realise there were three candidates? Can't say I've heard anyone mention John Kasich before!
Alan Henness

Alan H

#77 Post by Alan H » May 3rd, 2016, 10:29 pm

Watch from about 1 minute 20 seconds in where Cruz confronts a Trump supporter - cool, quiet, respectful and considerate. Quite a contrast to Trump Pity he's an evangelical xtian:

Alan Henness

Ken H

#78 Post by Ken H » May 4th, 2016, 2:23 am

Ted Cruze just dropped out of the race after losing the Indiana primary. The chances for a contested convention are now about gone. Looks like Trump will be the Republican nominee.

Dave B

#79 Post by Dave B » May 4th, 2016, 6:39 am

Ken H wrote:Ted Cruze just dropped out of the race after losing the Indiana primary. The chances for a contested convention are now about gone. Looks like Trump will be the Republican nominee.
Yup. This is now something of a test of you Americans as much as of your crazy system!

Will either survive without change?
Me, 2015

Dave B

#80 Post by Dave B » May 4th, 2016, 6:52 am

Alan H wrote:Watch from about 1 minute 20 seconds in where Cruz confronts a Trump supporter - cool, quiet, respectful and considerate. Quite a contrast to Trump Pity he's an evangelical xtian:
But he has his moments . . .
Ted Cruz Explodes In Epic Anti-Trump Rant: "He Is Utterly Amoral, Narcissist, Philandering, Pathological Liar"
Later:
And in video
Me, 2015

Alan H

#81 Post by Alan H » May 4th, 2016, 10:13 am

Ken H wrote:Ted Cruze just dropped out of the race after losing the Indiana primary. The chances for a contested convention are now about gone. Looks like Trump will be the Republican nominee.
Hopefully this means that Bernie or Hilary will be the next President? Would Cruz's supporters vote for Trump or would they vote for anyone Republican?
Alan Henness