INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

2016 US election

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Alan H

Re: 2016 US election

#241 Post by Alan H » October 2nd, 2019, 11:27 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

I hope so, Ken. I really hope so. It can't come too soon.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Ken H

Re: 2016 US election

#242 Post by Ken H » October 3rd, 2019, 3:01 pm

It's doubtful that impeachment would get through the Senate, which has a Republican majority. What worries me is that VP Mike Pence would then become president, should Trump be kicked out. Pence is a evangelical born-again Christian, with a very conservative track record as governor of Indiana.

Pence has been very quiet as Vice President, slyly keeping in his distance from Trump and hoping to succeed him. If Pence should take over, then I believe it would give the Republicans an advantage in the 2020 elections without the Trump baggage - especially if a liberal like Elizabeth Warren should be the Democrat's nominee.
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg