INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

How not to do it

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Toohey
Posts: 44
Joined: October 10th, 2007, 9:44 am

How not to do it

#1 Post by Toohey » October 12th, 2007, 9:03 am

After 10 years of Labour Government, the TUC reports that: “average English house prices have risen four times as fast as average earnings” (BBC Ceefax, 5 September 2007).

Translated, this means that the average worker is now much poorer than when he/she first foolishly voted this lot into power.

Time for ‘New’ Labour to change it’s name? Or should we, the workers, organise to end capitalism?

Fia
Posts: 5480
Joined: July 6th, 2007, 8:29 pm

#2 Post by Fia » October 12th, 2007, 9:53 am

And replace capitalism with what, exactly, Toohey?

Toohey
Posts: 44
Joined: October 10th, 2007, 9:44 am

#3 Post by Toohey » October 12th, 2007, 10:46 am

Socialism.

User avatar
Lifelinking
Posts: 3248
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 11:56 am

#4 Post by Lifelinking » October 12th, 2007, 11:00 am

Hi Toohey,

'socialism' is a word that many people have taken as their own (a bit like humanism). What form of political system have you in mind?





L
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Noggin
Posts: 497
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 11:48 am

#5 Post by Noggin » October 12th, 2007, 11:03 am

So you're a socialist now, Toohey?

That's not the impression I got when I read your post about women belonging in the home and I wonder how you reconcile your views on that subject with your socialism. Or are you perhaps just having a bit of fun with the good people of this forum.

I do hope you will respond to the points raised in that thread and in others you start because it will seem rather ill-mannered if you don't.
It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man. -- Old Norse Proverb

Toohey
Posts: 44
Joined: October 10th, 2007, 9:44 am

#6 Post by Toohey » October 12th, 2007, 11:16 am

I can't tell you what a future socialist society would look like!

You're going to have to work that out for yourselves. But, if you want to take this further type socialist studies in oyur browser.

User avatar
Lifelinking
Posts: 3248
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 11:56 am

#7 Post by Lifelinking » October 12th, 2007, 11:22 am

I am getting the picture Toohey. Your response, vacuous though it is, speaks volumes.




L
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Toohey
Posts: 44
Joined: October 10th, 2007, 9:44 am

#8 Post by Toohey » October 12th, 2007, 11:27 am

Noggin wrote:So you're a socialist now, Toohey?

That's not the impression I got when I read your post about women belonging in the home and I wonder how you reconcile your views on that subject with your socialism. Or are you perhaps just having a bit of fun with the good people of this forum.

I do hope you will respond to the points raised in that thread and in others you start because it will seem rather ill-mannered if you don't.
Yes, I’m a socialist, as to how I reconcile them, well hopefully I made that clear in my post there.
I don’t feel that a response like this is valid for this debate. It’s too personal and not on topic.
As for responding to the points there I was not aware I was under any obligation to respond to them, perhaps you know different?
I hope the good people of this forum understand that I may not have time to get round to that and will be able accept that.


[Admin note - I edited to enable BBCode so that the tags work in this post. M.]

Nick
Posts: 11027
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 10:10 am

Re: How not to do it

#9 Post by Nick » October 12th, 2007, 11:52 am

Toohey wrote:After 10 years of Labour Government, the TUC reports that: “average English house prices have risen four times as fast as average earnings” (BBC Ceefax, 5 September 2007).

Translated, this means that the average worker is now much poorer than when he/she first foolishly voted this lot into power.

Time for ‘New’ Labour to change it’s name? Or should we, the workers, organise to end capitalism?
Actually it doesn't. I would explain if I thought you might change your mind because of it. But I would appreciate some clarification: how do you define "worker"?

Toohey
Posts: 44
Joined: October 10th, 2007, 9:44 am

#10 Post by Toohey » October 12th, 2007, 12:03 pm

Lifelinking wrote:I am getting the picture Toohey. Your response, vacuous though it is, speaks volumes.




L
Yes, thats the thing about us working class we are clever enough to work things out for ourselves you know.

As for needing leaders, surely thats a Judeo-Chrisitian concept that man is fallen and needs leaders to rule over him/her.

I though this was a humanist board.

As for defining a worker, why the 99% of us out there who having nothing to sell but our labour power.

Phaedo
Posts: 55
Joined: July 5th, 2007, 3:54 pm

#11 Post by Phaedo » October 12th, 2007, 12:27 pm

Toohey wrote:
Yes, thats the thing about us working class we are clever enough to work things out for ourselves you know.

As for defining a worker, why the 99% of us out there who having nothing to sell but our labour power.
I agree - and the vast majority of us consistently vote for the non-'socialist' option.
I'm assuming you advocate the 'Permatan Tommy' or further left brand of socialism.
True lovers of knowledge are temperate and brave...
Socrates

Noggin
Posts: 497
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 11:48 am

#12 Post by Noggin » October 12th, 2007, 12:34 pm

Toohey wrote: Yes, I’m a socialist, as to how I reconcile them, well hopefully I made that clear in my post there.
You seem to have misunderstood my first post, Toohey, in which I tried to make the point that I believe the views you express on women belonging in the home to be irreconcileable with the most commonly held understanding of socialism. You say you "hopefully made it clear how you reconcile these two positions" - in fact, you spectacularly failed to do so. That you are now point blank refusing to put any meat on the bones of your "argument", such as it is, for socialism, leads me to reluctantly conclude that the position you are presenting is less than sincere.
I don’t feel that a response like this is valid for this debate. It’s too personal and not on topic.
Whether you think it's valid or off topic is of no consequence. If you behave in a way that is suspicious or discourteous (and in your short time here you have done both) it will be pointed out to you. We're not stupid on this forum and trolling is against the rules.

As for responding to the points there I was not aware I was under any obligation to respond to them, perhaps you know different? I hope the good people of this forum understand that I may not have time to get round to that and will be able accept that.
Yes, I do know different. If a poster starts a thread with a provocative OP that gets a number of responses, including some that are phrased as questions, then that poster is obligated to return to the thread to respond to any points raised. As I suggested in my first post, it's basic good manners. If you don't have time to participate fully in the threads you start, then your starting new ones will not be appreciated.
It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man. -- Old Norse Proverb

Maria Mac
Site Admin
Posts: 9300
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:34 pm

#13 Post by Maria Mac » October 12th, 2007, 12:35 pm

Toohey wrote: I though this was a humanist board.
Yes, it is. What's your point?

User avatar
whitecraw
Banned
Posts: 233
Joined: July 10th, 2007, 12:18 am

#14 Post by whitecraw » October 12th, 2007, 9:51 pm

Maybe if the workers stopped fuelling the overheated property market by bidding more they can afford for Barrett boxes, they wouldn’t be so poor.

As for the 99% of Toohey’s who have nothing else to sell apart from their labour power – not even a Barrett box – we can only be glad that there is not so much of that degree of destitution around nowadays.

Toohey
Posts: 44
Joined: October 10th, 2007, 9:44 am

#15 Post by Toohey » October 22nd, 2007, 8:40 am

Noggin wrote:
Toohey wrote: Yes, I’m a socialist, as to how I reconcile them, well hopefully I made that clear in my post there.
You seem to have misunderstood my first post, Toohey, in which I tried to make the point that I believe the views you express on women belonging in the home to be irreconcileable with the most commonly held understanding of socialism. You say you "hopefully made it clear how you reconcile these two positions" - in fact, you spectacularly failed to do so. That you are now point blank refusing to put any meat on the bones of your "argument", such as it is, for socialism, leads me to reluctantly conclude that the position you are presenting is less than sincere.
I don’t feel that a response like this is valid for this debate. It’s too personal and not on topic.

Whether you think it's valid or off topic is of no consequence. If you behave in a way that is suspicious or discourteous (and in your short time here you have done both) it will be pointed out to you. We're not stupid on this forum and trolling is against the rules.

As for responding to the points there I was not aware I was under any obligation to respond to them, perhaps you know different? I hope the good people of this forum understand that I may not have time to get round to that and will be able accept that.
Yes, I do know different. If a poster starts a thread with a provocative OP that gets a number of responses, including some that are phrased as questions, then that poster is obligated to return to the thread to respond to any points raised. As I suggested in my first post, it's basic good manners. If you don't have time to participate fully in the threads you start, then your starting new ones will not be appreciated.

Thanks for that. Anything else you want to add?

Post Reply