INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Aunty in Peril (again!)

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
thundril

Aunty in Peril (again!)

#1 Post by thundril » October 1st, 2015, 7:29 pm

Just posted this in a FB discussion about the Beeb wanting our support:
The BBC political team needs to get up to speed, though, if they want to maintain some semblance of impartial reporting. Which is the whole justification for their existence, in my opinion. And is therefore the whole basis for my support. Remember democracy, how it was supposed to work? People say what they honestly think. Politicians say what they actually stand for. They argue about it. They try to get enough consensus to form a party policy. If the majority of the party supports a policy, then it's that party's policy, until another discussion reconsiders it. The Debate should be open, and the BBC is supposed to report the facts, as impartially and dispassionately as it can. Remember that 'democracy' thang? No? Well, this is how it's going to be. Someone doesn't toe the Party line; someone disagrees with the Party leader. Someone doesn't want to stay in the cabinet if they can't in conscience support an agreed policy.OK.This is healthy, democratic politics. It's normal. It's not a sensational breaking- news drama, every time the minister for this or that doesn't stick like glue to Aleister Campbell's dictated line. The spin doctors are out of power, in the Labour Party at least. Maybe the other parties will follow suit. Whatever. The BBC needs to catch up with this reality, if they want my support.. It's not the job of a BBC interviewer to try to tease out every hint of a disagreement between a minister and her 'Leader', and then report it breathlessly as some sort of a giant split. This leads to politicians and reporters playing this deathly game, where the politicians end up trying to not say anything at all. Corbyn doesn't want to play that game, and the BBC should give it up too. It's what turned a generation off politics altogether. ~Which might be precisely what certain sections of the Establishment wanted..
Comments?

Altfish

Re: Aunty in Peril (again!)

#2 Post by Altfish » October 1st, 2015, 7:57 pm

Are they any worse than Sky News or ITV News?

thundril

#3 Post by thundril » October 1st, 2015, 8:15 pm

Altfish wrote:Are they any worse than Sky News or ITV News?
They're certainly not as biased as either of those, Alt, in my estimation. But that's not the point, is it? They're supposed to be better. They're supposed to promote culture that isn't profitable for the commercial stations to promote. They're supposed to present educational documentaries that are not cheap, tawdry, sensationalist or populist. (ie not profitable.) And they're supposed to produce robust, honest and unbiased political journalism. If they can't do those things; if they insist on trying to 'compete with' the commercial stations for popular audience, if they insist on playing the same game of tabloid political 'gotcha' interviews, why should any of us support them?

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » October 1st, 2015, 9:04 pm

thundril wrote:Just posted this in a FB discussion about the Beeb wanting our support:
It's not the job of a BBC interviewer to try to tease out every hint of a disagreement between a minister and her 'Leader', and then report it breathlessly as some sort of a giant split. This leads to politicians and reporters playing this deathly game, where the politicians end up trying to not say anything at all. Corbyn doesn't want to play that game, and the BBC should give it up too. It's what turned a generation off politics altogether. ~Which might be precisely what certain sections of the Establishment wanted..
Comments?
^^^^ Spot on.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » October 1st, 2015, 9:11 pm

I think that the BBC allow far too many politicians to get away with evasion and misdirection - regardless of their party.

If, on the second time of asking, a politician has not factually answered the question asked, going off on their own agenda, the interview should be terminated. I think politicians would soon be queuing to make statements of fact rather than trying to spin things in the time allotted to them.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

thundril

#6 Post by thundril » October 1st, 2015, 10:56 pm

Dave B wrote:I think that the BBC allow far too many politicians to get away with evasion and misdirection - regardless of their party.

If, on the second time of asking, a politician has not factually answered the question asked, going off on their own agenda, the interview should be terminated. I think politicians would soon be queuing to make statements of fact rather than trying to spin things in the time allotted to them.
This is just where I think Corbytn's open style could encourage a change in the dreary patterns of the political interview. Interviewer asks a question, politician feels free to say exactly what she thinks. If the answer isn't clear, the interviewer asks for clarification. It doesn't prevent probingf and difficult questions, but it would discourage evasive or rote answers.

Dave B

#7 Post by Dave B » October 2nd, 2015, 8:35 am

thundril wrote:
Dave B wrote:I think that the BBC allow far too many politicians to get away with evasion and misdirection - regardless of their party.

This is just where I think Corbytn's open style could encourage a change in the dreary patterns of the political interview. Interviewer asks a question, politician feels free to say exactly what she thinks. If the answer isn't clear, the interviewer asks for clarification. It doesn't prevent probingf and difficult questions, but it would discourage evasive or rote answers.
Let's hope he does prsent an openbattitude and actually answer the questions. But will his colleagues do the same.

MPs know that any interview has a fixed duration, if they can talk over the interviewer, not answering the difficult question and presenting the line they want, they will do so - every bloody day. So, no concise and relevant answer? Cut their microphone, whichever party they come from. Explain this at the head of every programme so they can't complain when it happens.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

thundril

#8 Post by thundril » October 2nd, 2015, 11:31 am

Dave B wrote: So, no concise and relevant answer? Cut their microphone, whichever party they come from. Explain this at the head of every programme so they can't complain when it happens.
It's not for the BBC editors to determine what a politician can say, or refuse to say, on air. Their job is to ask questions, and offer the opportunity for the politician to reply. Place even more political information control in the hands of news editors? No thanks. I'd tather watch the politicians squirming and evading. Then we can draw our own conclusions.

lewist

#9 Post by lewist » October 3rd, 2015, 9:43 am

The BBC bias in this country is appalling. During the Referendum campaign it acted as the Westminster propaganda machine, and it has not improved. We in Scotland need a balanced service, not something controlled from another country that acts directly against our interests.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Altfish

#10 Post by Altfish » October 3rd, 2015, 1:41 pm

I must be very gullible, I do not see all this BBC bias. I suppose it has always leaned towards the status quo/establishment but I find it no more biased than other tv news.

I worry greatly when political parties call out the BBC; all they are trying to do is blame their failings on a tv channel and hope to get the BBC to be gentle with them. It is like when footballer managers claim that referees are biased against their team, they are just trying to influence the referee to think twice and not give the obvious decision against their team.

Dave B

#11 Post by Dave B » October 6th, 2015, 5:43 pm

Going back to one of the bees in my bonnet...

Once again Auntie still has not got joined up news. The air incursions from Syria into Turkey are still being reported as "Russian aircraft". Well, this is true in that all the aircraft were made in Russia. But the World Service says at least one of the incursions was carried out by aircraft of the Sryan air force.

So most listeners think that it is the Russians alone that are being provocative. If a Russian airforce plane were to be shot down over Turkey it would be more serious than if it were a Syrian air force one. But R4's version implies the potential for a worsening of the situation is twice what it may be.

That is if the listener thinks about it at all.

Accuracy in news casting is critical for Auntie, but she still can't get it right, and never will until there is a single department writing everyone's script.
Me, 2015

Altfish

#12 Post by Altfish » October 7th, 2015, 6:09 pm

Good riddance to Robert Peston, never liked him

Dave B

#13 Post by Dave B » October 7th, 2015, 6:57 pm

+1
Me, 2015