INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

EU Referendum

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Nick

Re: EU Referendum

#21 Post by Nick » October 18th, 2015, 1:38 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Jus' wundrin' how the Scots would react to a referendum repudiating the Barnett Formula......

animist

#22 Post by animist » October 18th, 2015, 8:59 pm

Nick wrote:Jus' wundrin' how the Scots would react to a referendum repudiating the Barnett Formula......
this would not be a constitutional issue, would it?

animist

#23 Post by animist » October 24th, 2015, 4:11 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendu ... ed_Kingdom

"Referendums are not legally binding, so legally the Government can ignore the results; for example, even if the result of a pre-legislative referendum were a majority of ‘No' for a proposed law, Parliament could pass it anyway, because parliament is sovereign. Legally, Parliament at any point in future could reverse legislation approved by referendum because the concept of parliamentary sovereignty means no Parliament can prevent a future Parliament from amending/repealing legislation. However, it is unlikely many governments would attempt to reverse legislation approved by referendum as it would probably be controversial and potentially damaging to its popularity."

I can see big trouble if a vote to leave were in effect ignored by Parliament, but I still think that this could well happen if the result were close. One other point is that there is likely to be quite a delay between the referendum and any legislation to effect it, as the government, other parties and the EU attempt to sort out some alternative relationship after a secession (I remember reading about the complications attendant on referendums in an article which appeared soon before the Scottish referendum). It is even possible that all this could run up into the 2020 election campaign.

Emma W on Facebook mentioned something like this and also suggested that it could end with a second "are your sure?" referendum, but I don't see this occurring