INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Retirement and pensions

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Dave B

Re: Retirement and pensions

#21 Postby Dave B » April 9th, 2015, 9:16 am

Latest post of the previous page:

We would still end up paying for it via taxes, all tax payers would be affected whether they used pubklic transport or not - but I still like the idea carbon savingwise!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Ron Webb

#22 Postby Ron Webb » April 9th, 2015, 3:23 pm

Dave B wrote:We would still end up paying for it via taxes, all tax payers would be affected whether they used pubklic transport or not - but I still like the idea carbon savingwise!

Sure we would, and that's just fine with me. I took the bus daily for most of my working life. I didn't mind paying for it then, and I don't mind continuing to pay for it for it now that I'm retired and don't expect to be using it much any more. In my experience, the people who depend on public transportation are not generally rich. I'm happy to see their fares subsidized by those who can afford to drive cars instead.

And let's not kid ourselves, by the way. We all end up paying for all those extra cars too: in road construction and maintenance, traffic congestion, urban sprawl, infrastructure costs, etc.

Dave B

#23 Postby Dave B » April 9th, 2015, 3:34 pm

Ron Webb wrote:
Dave B wrote:We would still end up paying for it via taxes, all tax payers would be affected whether they used pubklic transport or not - but I still like the idea carbon savingwise!

Sure we would, and that's just fine with me. I took the bus daily for most of my working life. I didn't mind paying for it then, and I don't mind continuing to pay for it for it now that I'm retired and don't expect to be using it much any more. In my experience, the people who depend on public transportation are not generally rich. I'm happy to see their fares subsidized by those who can afford to drive cars instead.

And let's not kid ourselves, by the way. We all end up paying for all those extra cars too: in road construction and maintenance, traffic congestion, urban sprawl, infrastructure costs, etc.
Yeah, I remember going through my wages once: so much for incone taxman, buy something - so much for VATsales taxman. Shopowner makes a profit - so much for the taxman . . .

In the end it all ends up passing through the taxman's hands in one way or another!

But yes, distributed funding, even if one does not use the service (like education at the moment), is one of the marks of a developed society. Of coyrse, some societies use such things more than others . . .
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

getreal

#24 Postby getreal » April 9th, 2015, 9:00 pm

I qhve a small pension from the scottish public pensions agency (NHS) which I started drawing around 5 years ago.

I was under the impression the new changes did not reply to pensions like mine (public final salary schemes) but having done a quick search, I'm not so sure- or at least, I'm more confused!

I don't think I will get my state pension till I'm 67, so that's a good while yet.

Last week I got a pensioners special at a cafe in Troon. Soup and sandwitch for 30% off! Not bad (even though I've a few months till I'm 60). The friend I was with did qualify but we forgot I actually didn't till after we'd paid.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#25 Postby Alan H » April 9th, 2015, 11:24 pm

Athena and I have started going swimming - she goes several times a week to build up her arm after her fracture and operation and I go with her once a week because, well, I need to!

When we were there on Tuesday, we had paid and were on our way to the changing room when one of the young women at the desk called me back and asked in hushed tones if I was 60! I assume she might have thought I was retired because she had seen be there during the day and not because I looked it...

I should have been affronted and claimed I was only 50, but that's maybe stretching it a bit - I've got till the very end of this year before I get in for free!

But she never asked Athena... :D
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Return to “Miscellaneous Discussions...”