INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

British constitutional change

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Alan H

Re: British constitutional change

#41 Post by Alan H » November 17th, 2014, 11:01 am

Latest post of the previous page:

coffee wrote:
Almost certainly the best option, but the Tories didn't want it and, as has been shown, if they have any power, it will never be an option.
I will keep that in mind for the coming election. Thanks
ISTM that that's what the LibDems wanted from their term of power sharing with the Tories. The Tories are better at controlling, so the question that was asked and the debate that was framed meant that the LibDems weren't ever going to get their way - it would have been a disaster for the Tories, therefore it could never be - and was never - allowed to happen. All the LibDems have therefore been able to do in 'power' was kowtow to their Lords and Masters and bide their time, hoping the backlash wouldn't be too bad. I think they'll be in for a surprise because just about everything that this Government has done is the antithesis of LibDem ideas and principles.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

animist

#42 Post by animist » November 17th, 2014, 11:34 am

we keep seeing how strong the SNP now are, but Nicola Sturgeon says that she will never work with the Tories. So are they not weakening themselves in advance of a likely hung parliament by hitching themselves to - presumably - Labour and the LibDems?

lewist

#43 Post by lewist » November 17th, 2014, 5:14 pm

The SNP has experience of minority rule. For Ms Sturgeon to say she will not work with the Tories is fine. There was no need for a coalition in 2010; Cameron could simply have gone for minority administration. It works but needs people who will engage with others which might have been a problem for him. Whether the SNP would work with Labour or its north British branch we need to wait and see.

I notice Nick's initially unsupported allegation that a significant proportion of SNP members voted No has now been attributed to 'somebody maybe said it on Newsnight'. To attribute anything to a BBC programme is preposterous given the bias they show. They are simply not to be trusted.

The really interesting question now is, what is Alex Salmond going to do next? I think he should stand here and supplant Danny Alexander. That would give us someone effective in Westminster and me a good and honest MP.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Altfish

#44 Post by Altfish » November 17th, 2014, 6:47 pm

I don't think the SNP could ever even consider working with the Tories, the SNP are to the left of Labour and Labour are unlikely to work with the Tories.

I would expect the SNP would work with Labour subject to some key concessions from Milliband and his troops, after all most of the new SNP voters are Labour defectors. I don't envisage a coalition though, each vote taken on its merits.

I disagree about Salmond being "...a good and honest MP", I've said it before and I'll undoubtedly say it again, anyone who tries to cosy up to Donald Trump is at best dubious.

coffee

#45 Post by coffee » November 18th, 2014, 10:09 am

I am gonna try using my vote to frustrate the big parties into giving us proportional representation and a written constitution that is fair to humanists. That mean there gonna be more coalition governments. :smile:

lewist

#46 Post by lewist » November 18th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Altfish wrote:anyone who tries to cosy up to Donald Trump is at best dubious.
Ok. you have me on that one. The Menie Estate affair was a mistake. Trump went on to think he could rule the nation with his nonsense about offshore wind farms. However, Alex Salmond is not for sale. He saw Trump as an opportunity for Scotland and got it wrong.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Altfish

#47 Post by Altfish » November 18th, 2014, 7:10 pm

It casts him in a very poor light, the way the Iraq War and the 'dossier' did for Blair.
All Salmond's dealings must be questioned in the light of it - Grangemouth???

coffee

#48 Post by coffee » November 19th, 2014, 9:22 am

ISTM that that's what the LibDems wanted from their term of power sharing with the Tories. The Tories are better at controlling, so the question that was asked and the debate that was framed meant that the LibDems weren't ever going to get their way - it would have been a disaster for the Tories, therefore it could never be - and was never - allowed to happen. All the LibDems have therefore been able to do in 'power' was kowtow to their Lords and Masters and bide their time, hoping the backlash wouldn't be too bad. I think they'll be in for a surprise because just about everything that this Government has done is the antithesis of LibDem ideas and principles.
Hi Alan H,

What is ISTM?

And I thought you might like to listen to this

After the Scotish Vote - bbc r4 radio
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04p7zxw

Altfish

#49 Post by Altfish » November 19th, 2014, 9:24 am

coffee wrote: Hi Alan H,

What is ISTM?
I'm not Alan but I think it means

"It seems to me" in internet slang

coffee

#50 Post by coffee » November 19th, 2014, 9:33 am

"It seems to me" in internet slang
Thanks for that, Altfish.

Alan H

#51 Post by Alan H » November 19th, 2014, 10:32 am

Thanks for explaining that Altfish!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?