INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

The ages of man (and woman of course!)

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Dave B

The ages of man (and woman of course!)

#1 Post by Dave B » June 2nd, 2014, 4:55 pm

We oldies often make jokes about the trials and tribulations of old age - but I'll swap it for even teenage angst any day!

For the third time this year I woke up last Tuesday with a bit of a pain in the left foot. By Wednesday it was a limp. By Thursday I was using a stick. Friday the crutches came out of the top of the wardrobe and I ordered my shopping online, for delivery, because there was no way I could drive a car (and operate the clutch - that's relevant for later . . .)

Sunday came and the pain had abated slightly, I could drive the car, carefully, so long as I only used my toes on the clutch, not my instep. Today I could drive almost as normal but still had a heavy limp when walking. Saw GP, he says it is torn tendons - again (and yet again) :-(

So for four days I was house bound and for three of them almost sofa bound - case of working things out so there was more than one thing to achieve per (agonising) hobble about the flat.

Called up local Toyota dealer today and going to see an automatic Aygo (with air conditioning) tomorrow.

[Jut praying the right foot does not go the same way - Aghhh.]

At this rate should I get on the list for a Blue Badge and take a look at the Motability scheme! :wink:
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Nick

Re: The ages of man (and woman of course!)

#2 Post by Nick » June 2nd, 2014, 5:12 pm

You poor old sod! Hope you feel better soon. :)

My mother has done her shoulder a mischief, which may require surgery. The cause? Using a garlic press ( for its intended purpose) a little too vigorously. :sad2:

Altfish

#3 Post by Altfish » June 2nd, 2014, 5:59 pm

I do of course say, "ooh" every time I sit down /stand up

Arthritis is not nice either :sad2:

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » June 2nd, 2014, 7:10 pm

Know what yer mean mate . . .

Specially when it seriously interfered with the really important things in life - drinking and eating!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

lewist

#5 Post by lewist » June 3rd, 2014, 1:51 pm

Dave, the automatic Aygo sounds like a good idea. I would also apply for a Blue Badge, though I think that will need your doctor's support. The Motability scheme is a good one and only costs your DLA which is not bad.

Get everything you can. You paid for it all your working life; you're due it.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Dave B

#6 Post by Dave B » June 3rd, 2014, 3:55 pm

lewist wrote:Dave, the automatic Aygo sounds like a good idea. I would also apply for a Blue Badge, though I think that will need your doctor's support. The Motability scheme is a good one and only costs your DLA which is not bad.

Get everything you can. You paid for it all your working life; you're due it.
Yup, I am now the owner of a Caymen Blue, automatic/manual, five door, air conditioned Aygo shopping trolley!

Not sure about the Blue Badge, looking at the regs there is no way I qualify when my foot is OK, mostly I can walk a good half mile on the flat without problems. At the moment I think of everything I can possibly do on every trip to the loo - like fill the washing machine, make a coffee, get the next meal out of the freezer - anything to avoid making one more step than necessary! GP does not seem to have a lot of sympathy at the moment, in shrug mode.

When I went to look at the new car I phoned the salesman from the car park and he brought the car round, delivered me outside the office door after the test drive then drove me back to my car when I left!

What bothers me, if this is something that happens during the night, is if it becomes a serial event, one injury blending seamlessly into the next. This is the third time so far this year and the other two only incapacitated me for a couple of days, not a bloody week!
Me, 2015

Sel

#7 Post by Sel » June 4th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Geesh, Dave. There is nothing like sore feet to make life miserable. Hopefully this too shall pass. Of course, it has been my experience that something new and wonderful will take its place. :twisted:

Glad you solved the driving problem. Take care of yourself and rest that sore foot.
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B » June 4th, 2014, 3:44 pm

Sel wrote:Geesh, Dave. There is nothing like sore feet to make life miserable. Hopefully this too shall pass. Of course, it has been my experience that something new and wonderful will take its place. :twisted:

Glad you solved the driving problem. Take care of yourself and rest that sore foot.
Yes, its funny how much effect cold or aching feet have on one's general state of well being. I have suffered lower back pain, sometimes for days on end, needing five minutes strategic planning just to get out of bed, the easy chair or the bath, but I would swap this foot pain for that any day!

Not so bad today. I was trying to keep off pain killers for another day because I started a new medication a week ago and was booked for a blood test for warfarin today - trying not to put more than one factor in the equation at a time. But, last night, there was so much pain at about 2am (on trip to loo) that I took paracetamol - was able to walk more easily today.

Thanks for the thoughts y'all. Its another (thing that makes one) cross to bear!
Me, 2015

Fia

#9 Post by Fia » June 5th, 2014, 9:35 pm

{{Dave}}
Our lovely Val taught me a very important lesson. She was far more disabled than many folk I work with in their own homes who do nothing and go nowhere. Yet she had her mobility car, wheelchair, an excellent painkilling regime and a deep determination to be engaged with and enjoy life. I know ageing ain't for fearties but she personified the wholehearted grasp of what living the one life we have, that life isn't just for living, it's doing that well.

Dave B

#10 Post by Dave B » June 5th, 2014, 10:17 pm

Fia wrote:{{Dave}}
Our lovely Val taught me a very important lesson. She was far more disabled than many folk I work with in their own homes who do nothing and go nowhere. Yet she had her mobility car, wheelchair, an excellent painkilling regime and a deep determination to be engaged with and enjoy life. I know ageing ain't for fearties but she personified the wholehearted grasp of what living the one life we have, that life isn't just for living, it's doing that well.
Thanks, Fia.

Don't worry, within the widest bands of ability the foot has not stopped my social life - just taught be to wait until I need to go to the loo to catch up on all those other jobs on the way! For three days merely getting off the sofa was painful, I needed something to lock my ankle and support the foot - just the weight of the lifted foot pulling the tendons hurt :sad:

Getting the inventor's head on when I get a chance to see what's in the attic and get some wide, soft bandaging from the chemist's . . .
Me, 2015

Sel

#11 Post by Sel » June 5th, 2014, 10:49 pm

Dave
When a friend had an operation on her foot and lower leg, she rented a device that was a bit like a scooter. It had wheels and a "seat" for her to kneel on with injured leg and she pushed it around the house. There was quite a bit of support there for the sore leg - it did not dangle. She found it very useful.

Perhaps you could invent a similar device. I have attached a picture.
http://www.alegup.biz/pictures/ss1.jpg
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

Dave B

#12 Post by Dave B » June 6th, 2014, 9:48 am

Sel wrote:Dave
When a friend had an operation on her foot and lower leg, she rented a device that was a bit like a scooter. It had wheels and a "seat" for her to kneel on with injured leg and she pushed it around the house. There was quite a bit of support there for the sore leg - it did not dangle. She found it very useful.

Perhaps you could invent a similar device. I have attached a picture.
http://www.alegup.biz/pictures/ss1.jpg
Thanks, Sel, yes a fairly simple design, once I had access to the kit for actually making such things! That is one of the bad thing about retirement in my case!

I was actually going to look into such things after I had finished here. Was actually thinking of one of those electric scooters, like a kid's one but with a motor, have seen adult sized jobs. I can balance on one foot OK and think that would be fun for shopping! They also do the with a little petrol motor but those are noisy but one is not allowed to use them on public paths and they aren't road legal. Need something I can get easily into the tiny luggage space of my car.
Me, 2015

sandymere

#13 Post by sandymere » June 10th, 2014, 1:16 pm

If the "new medication " is not a pain killer then keep in mind analgesia works better if taken regularly, Non steroidal meds may not be a good idea on warfarin but paracetamol is ok for most. Pain equals stress and stress has a negative effect on healing so take pain killers to reduce the pain, inflammation and the stress these cause = get better quicker. :wink:

Dave B

#14 Post by Dave B » June 10th, 2014, 2:18 pm

sandymere wrote:If the "new medication " is not a pain killer then keep in mind analgesia works better if taken regularly, Non steroidal meds may not be a good idea on warfarin but paracetamol is ok for most. Pain equals stress and stress has a negative effect on healing so take pain killers to reduce the pain, inflammation and the stress these cause = get better quicker. :wink:
Cheers, sandy. Using paracetamol, think I can use co-codamol as well but need to check on that.

Know about NSAIDs and warfarin, though I am now on 75mg aspirin a day - my GP says it takes up to 600mg 3 times a day to act as an effective anti-inflamatory. That would help with my bursitis as well but that not so much of a problem at the moment. I have not been walking much, and thus aggravating the bursas, 'cos me foot is duff (though now not as duff as it was.)

I looked for compression/support wear for the feet, main choices knee length socks or ankle supports. Bought a cheap pair of the latter knowing there is a long "upright" and only a short foot bit.

They arrived today and, guess what, they are parallel - so put them on "upside down" and the long bit covers the foot to the base of the toes. Just what I wanted. Have to wear sandals with them though, too thick for shoes.
Me, 2015

getreal

#15 Post by getreal » June 12th, 2014, 3:10 pm

Dave, you can't take co coda ol AND paracetamol together. Co codamol contains paracetamol (500mgs per tablet) so you would effectively be taking twice the dose of paracetamol - something not to be recommended.

This old age is a pain in the arse. Currently I'm attending the pain clinic at the local hospital. It's a bit of an eye opener.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#16 Post by Alan H » June 12th, 2014, 5:28 pm

getreal wrote:Dave, you can't take co coda ol AND paracetamol together. Co codamol contains paracetamol (500mgs per tablet) so you would effectively be taking twice the dose of paracetamol - something not to be recommended.
Definitely not! However, paracetamol and ibuprofen can usually be taken together (or staggered) as long as there are no contraindications - consult your pharmacist or GP.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#17 Post by Dave B » June 12th, 2014, 6:03 pm

getreal wrote:Dave, you can't take co coda ol AND paracetamol together. Co codamol contains paracetamol (500mgs per tablet) so you would effectively be taking twice the dose of paracetamol - something not to be recommended.

This old age is a pain in the arse. Currently I'm attending the pain clinic at the local hospital. It's a bit of an eye opener.
:smile: Don't worry, getreal, I know that. Have enough nowse and interest to apply instructions and also to do research on what I am taking and what can't mix with it. Querid with GP when I was put back on aspirin and when I realised that I had three of the "conditions" the leaflet said should preclude the use of that particular nitrate.

95% of the time I trust the doctors but have anecdotes of people who have suffered because one consultant has not read what another has written in the notes. My friend Mike had an unnecessary 3 month stay in hospital because of exactly that situation. The consultant was lucky not to be sued - Mike was simply in too bad a state to face the hassle and his wife talked him out of it. I do believe what she said to the consultant ensured that he did not need a shave for several days though.

So I check up on them every time and query if I am unsure.
Me, 2015

getreal

#18 Post by getreal » June 12th, 2014, 6:29 pm

Pharmacists are a greatly underused resource.

Sorry, Dave. I clearly misunderstood your post.

I was told by my GP that I must never take tramadol with amatriptylene. And never take co codamol with tramadol (I'd had them all at one point). However someone I know was prescribed all 3 by an emergency GP called to her house when she hurt her back and told to take them all at the same time if needed. Pretty sure that'd not be a very clever idea.

Similarly, I was prescribed gabapentin by the neurologist, who failed to tell me that if I stopped taking it I must come off it slowly or risk seizures. Needless to say, I stopped taking it suddenly and had severe pins and needles I. My hands and feet for a few days. When I went to see him, he said I was extremely lucky not to have had a seizure!
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Dave B

#19 Post by Dave B » June 12th, 2014, 7:21 pm

Blimey, getreal, do you think all doctors need a warning notice, "Not to be consulted without taking extreme precautions"?
Pharmacists are a greatly underused resource.
:thumbsup:

I told two GPs and one cardiac consultant that I was suffering fro dizzy spells in the mornings. They had nothing to offer in terms of advice, except the consultant said I would be put on an ambulatory ecg monitor when one was available. At a meeting I mentioned this to the speaker, the senior pharmocologist at the hospital and he asked, "When do you take your medications?"

"At 9am," I replied,

"All of them?"

"All barring the warfarin at 6pm and the statin at 10pm."

"There's you problem, you are suffering spells of low blood pressure as a side effect of too many medications at once, mover this, that and that to 6pm."

I moved them "down" one hour a day for the next 9 days. Problem solved!

Each year I loose more confidence in some parts of the NHS, I know some are overworked but . . .
Me, 2015

Alan H

#20 Post by Alan H » June 12th, 2014, 7:40 pm

Dave B wrote:Each year I loose more confidence in some parts of the NHS, I know some are overworked but . . .
It's OK. It'll all be fine and rosy once it's fully privatised and the workers are incentivised by competition and the profit motive.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?