INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Big Brother Tightens His Grip

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
pantodragon

Big Brother Tightens His Grip

#1 Post by pantodragon » December 5th, 2013, 2:46 pm

In the post today was a letter accusing me of failure to own a TV licence. My non-ownership is to be formally investigated.

The story..........

…………a letter arrived from TV Licencing. It was addressed to The Occupier (i.e. not to me personally). It informed me that my household is one of only 5% in the UK that does not own a TV licence. They therefore feel compelled to write to me to inform me of this and to enquire whether or not their information is correct and if it is, why I do not possess said licence. Further, they informed me that this compulsion to write with these requests is an obsession for which the only cure is a communication from myself assuring them that their suspicions are groundless. In other words, it seems that unless I perform certain actions as prescribed by them, I can expect to continue to receive letters. This situation is reminiscent of Harry Potter: when the Dursleys refused to allow Harry to read his letter from Hogwarts, further letters were delivered, and the more the Dursleys refused to respond, the greater the number of letters that poured through their letter box, down their chimney etc. So it appears I can expect something similar from the TV Licencing people. Fortunately, having seen Harry Potter, I have been shown the method by which such invasive tactics should be dealt: I will relocate to a remote rock somewhere off the coast of the UK. (I am assuming, of course, that the TV licencing people do not have access to flying motorbikes or other magical transportation that would allow them to foil my attempted evasion.)

As a matter of interest, the reason I do not possess a TV licence is because my digital TV packed in and I was not sufficiently inspired by what was on offer from the TV broadcasting companies to feel that I wished to buy a new TV. I did write to the TV licencing people explaining the situation and informing them that I would no longer require a TV licence. This occurred several years ago and seems to have no bearing, in the minds of the TV licencing people, on the current situation.

The serious side of this is that I am currently being hounded for the crime of failing to possess a TV licence for no better reason than that I do not possess a TV licence……………guilty until proven innocent.

The bizarre side of this is that it is getting very close to the kind of handling of the law as is portrayed in Kafka’s The Trial.

draykorinee

Re: Big Brother Tightens His Grip

#2 Post by draykorinee » December 5th, 2013, 3:10 pm

For once I agree, the BBC can stick the tv licence where the sun don't shine, sick and tired of that coming out of my account every month to pay for something I never ever watch.
sanctimonious
ˌsaŋ(k)tɪˈməʊnɪəs/Submit
adjectivederogatory
making a show of being morally superior to other people.

animist

#3 Post by animist » December 5th, 2013, 3:22 pm

I am not sure about all the details, but a family member recently had bailiffs round about an unpaid licence at her previous address and has had to pay a large fine - obviously Panto is in a different position if she does not actually own a set, but it shows the authorities' determination over this

thundril

#4 Post by thundril » December 5th, 2013, 3:35 pm

I've had this every time I've lived in a house. The person comes round, asking why I haven't got a current TV license, and can't accept that I haven't got a TV. I tell them to go get a search warrant. That usually shuts them up for 6 months or so. Then they come round again, and I tell them to go get a search warrant. Etc.
Sometimes (like last time, the guy seemed friendly and it was pissing down so I didn't feel like being hostile) I let him come in to the front room. He glances around, and very officially notes 'tenant does not have a TV".
PSB is important (at least some of it is) but we really need a better way to fund it.

Alan H

#5 Post by Alan H » December 5th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Not having a TV is one thing, but watching live TV on your PC also requires a TV licence.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

getreal

#6 Post by getreal » December 5th, 2013, 7:40 pm

My brother sent them a long letter saying it was against his religious beliefs to own or watch TV. It was a load of lod bollocks as he's an atheist, but they left him alone. I think they were afraid of appearing discriminatory. :hilarity:

worked for him.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

thundril

#7 Post by thundril » December 5th, 2013, 7:49 pm

Alan H wrote:Not having a TV is one thing, but watching live TV on your PC also requires a TV licence.
I've been wondering about that.
Does owning a computer capable of internet connection require a TV licence?
Does every building that has an internet connecton need a TV licence?
Can the Beeb check with your internet service provider to see whether you have downloaded any live progs?
:puzzled: :shrug: :finger:

Cam

#8 Post by Cam » December 5th, 2013, 8:04 pm

According to the TV Licencing website:
The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

Dave B

#9 Post by Dave B » December 5th, 2013, 8:25 pm

thundril wrote:
Alan H wrote:Not having a TV is one thing, but watching live TV on your PC also requires a TV licence.
I've been wondering about that.
Does owning a computer capable of internet connection require a TV licence? No.
Does every building that has an internet connecton need a TV licence? No.
Can the Beeb check with your internet service provider to see whether you have downloaded any live progs? Dunno.
:puzzled: :shrug: :finger:
As Cam said, you can watch any TV prog after it has been broadcast using catch-up services. I presume that also applies to asking your mate to record a programme for you.

I also own devices capable of receiving TV signals but, after several quite aggressive letters from the TV licence people they finally seem to have believed me that I do not watch live TV on these, that the aerial cable socket in the wall has been replaced by a blanking plate, that I have no TV input from Virgin and no TV receiver or converter for my computer.

I suggested that if they let me know when they wished to inspect my installation I would make sure I was home to welcome the inspectors, get some biscuits in and put the kettle on. If they made a surprise visit they would have to take pot luck as to whether I was home and on the presence of biscuits.

Sent a copy of their letter to my MP with a complaint about the tone, the groundless implied accusations etc. I have heard of others doing the same. So in that respect I sympathise with Pants.

Haven't heard from them since.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

draykorinee

#10 Post by draykorinee » December 5th, 2013, 8:35 pm

Dave B wrote: I have heard of others doing the same. So in that respect I sympathise with Pants.
That must have been hard to write :P

I can't wait till the bbc loses this licence debacle, I knows its a long way off but it will have to happen one day.
sanctimonious
ˌsaŋ(k)tɪˈməʊnɪəs/Submit
adjectivederogatory

Alan H

#11 Post by Alan H » December 5th, 2013, 10:29 pm

thundril wrote:Does owning a computer capable of internet connection require a TV licence?
Does every building that has an internet connecton need a TV licence?
No, as I understand it., just if you watch live TV.
Can the Beeb check with your internet service provider to see whether you have downloaded any live progs?
Not as far as I know, but who knows - perhaps in the future?
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#12 Post by Alan H » December 5th, 2013, 10:30 pm

draykorinee wrote:
Dave B wrote: I have heard of others doing the same. So in that respect I sympathise with Pants.
That must have been hard to write :P

I can't wait till the bbc loses this licence debacle, I knows its a long way off but it will have to happen one day.
If we all no longer pay for the BBC, what then?
Alan Henness

getreal

#13 Post by getreal » December 5th, 2013, 11:00 pm

We have to fund a (reasonably) independant broadcaster somehow. It's not just TV either, there is also radio. The license fee seems to be the most reasonable way to pay for this.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#14 Post by Alan H » December 5th, 2013, 11:19 pm

getreal wrote:We have to fund a (reasonably) independant broadcaster somehow. It's not just TV either, there is also radio. The license fee seems to be the most reasonable way to pay for this.
Agreed. They need to sort out their impartiality and conflicts of interest (particularly things like Chris Patten's private health company links and the BBC's shamefully poor cover of the NHS privatisation), but it's a bargain.
Alan Henness

lewist

#15 Post by lewist » December 6th, 2013, 8:37 am

I agree. It's a concern how public broadcasting will work here after independence.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Dave B

#16 Post by Dave B » December 6th, 2013, 9:29 am

Although I don't pay it (I would happily pay for the radio if that was a separate licence) I agree that it should remain a fee paid service. The thought of it being commercial with the almost inevitable slide into even more progs designed purely to get as many people watching as possible (thus, usually, the lowest common factor) to get the ratings up!!!

It does annoy me that there are so many repeats on the radio but I suppose that is inevitable without enough funding to pay for new stuff every moment.

And, yes, they still have many out of date attitudes and practices to get rid of.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Cam

#17 Post by Cam » December 6th, 2013, 2:31 pm

To be honest, I was always in favour of the traditional TV channels of BBC1 & 2, but these days it's just garbage. Lowest common denominator rubbish. My wife & stepdaughter watch our TV but most of the things I watch are either on DVD or youtube and I watch them with my laptop while those two are watching the crap! :laughter: I sometimes listen to internet radio but for that I guess I'd need a licence. Can't stand commercial radio though. I can get through about 3 of the adverts with the high speed terms & conditions section at the end of each before I have ground my teeth down to dust. :angry:

draykorinee

#18 Post by draykorinee » December 6th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Alan H wrote:but it's a bargain.
Its a bargain for yourself, for me its a total rip off, I have a TV so I can play games, not to watch bbc.
sanctimonious
ˌsaŋ(k)tɪˈməʊnɪəs/Submit
adjectivederogatory

Dave B

#19 Post by Dave B » December 6th, 2013, 4:25 pm

I agree it can be a bargain for those who want to watch a fair portion of the output - I know those addicted to unreality TV and Strictly Come Cooking etc. who do nothing but watch hours a day.

For me it usually took at least one whole week before I could record enough, to my interest, to last a single evening. Even with the catch-up channels I watch about two hours, or less, of TV originated progs a week.

Rather get my nose in a book!
Me, 2015

Nick

#20 Post by Nick » December 7th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Alan H wrote:
getreal wrote:We have to fund a (reasonably) independant broadcaster somehow. It's not just TV either, there is also radio. The license fee seems to be the most reasonable way to pay for this.
Agreed. They need to sort out their impartiality and conflicts of interest (particularly things like Chris Patten's private health company links and the BBC's shamefully poor cover of the NHS privatisation), but it's a bargain.
Oh, for heaven's sake. Does that mean that no TV personnel can belong to a union, then?