INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

At what age is a person aware of their sexuality

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Justme

At what age is a person aware of their sexuality

#1 Post by Justme » September 25th, 2013, 9:07 pm

I just found this picture on Facebook and it irritated me to know end. To me a person that young is incapable of fully comprehending anything as complex as physical and emotional interactions. I think that they understand what they like and what they are comfortable with, but not the differences between liking someone and loving them, in an intimate way.

I think that girls are much more mature about their attractions, but boys are a different story altogether. OI think they see girls as being sob different that they are repelled by them at a emotional level and they stick together because they are comfortable within their own group.

I think that there are those out there on both sides of the political spectrum, that are so into showing just how fervent they are to their ideals that they will use anyone or anything to further their agenda. I think, at times these people are so aggressive in their tactics that those, who are effected by the blow back from these incidents would rather these people shut up and go away. Such people cause controversy that they, themselves don't have to deal with, so they are uncaring except for they way they perceive themselves. themselves.

Two examples of these overstepping fanatics are The Westborough Baptist church and PETA. They both make a mockery of the ideals of others and give their opposition cover to make unfair blanket statements about either side.
Hate, the offspring of fear cannot exist where understanding reigns supreme

draykorinee

Re: At what age is a person aware of their sexuality

#2 Post by draykorinee » September 25th, 2013, 9:16 pm

Couldn't tell you for sure, I only just about remember being 7, I certainly couldn't tell you whether a 7 year old had a real understanding, whatI certainly don't approve of is this crazy notion that you must send a picture of your kid around the world with this written on it.
sanctimonious
ˌsaŋ(k)tɪˈməʊnɪəs/Submit
adjectivederogatory
making a show of being morally superior to other people.

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » September 25th, 2013, 9:42 pm

whatI certainly don't approve of is this crazy notion that you must send a picture of your kid around the world with this written on it.
With you on that, Alex!

Not sure if it starts at seven but do not some kids, boys and girls, get crushes on members of the same sex prior to puberty? More kids these days have a richer vocabulary than I did at that sort of age - "gay" had not been invented and, in my part of London, if you fancied another boy you were a poofter and due a beating. Thus there were very good reasons for not expressing that sort of attraction, even if your heart bounced around like a kitten when the object of your desires came into sight! My heart bounced for the girl across the road but she could not stand me, she was a whole two years older and sooooo sophisticated! But I know that there were boys who fancied other boys, often older ones - a crush or incipient homosexuality?

Now kids can find out, if they are not actually taught, about sexuality and have the vocab to match. They can form opinions about themselves in contexts that I could not, but are they correct opinions? Does it just "sound good"?

I worry about that kid, will dad understand if he suddenly decides girls are the best choice after all?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » September 25th, 2013, 10:40 pm

This appears to be the story: When Your 7-Year-Old Son Announces, 'I'm Gay'

Lessons from Sharing the Story of My (Possibly) Gay 6-Year-Old Son

If it's not, it's very similar. However, I'm not sure we know whether that is a photo of the boy concerned. His mother writes under a psrudonym.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Justme

#5 Post by Justme » September 25th, 2013, 11:14 pm

Dave B wrote:
Now kids can find out, if they are not actually taught, about sexuality and have the vocab to match. They can form opinions about themselves in contexts that I could not, but are they correct opinions? Does it just "sound good"?
This is what comes strikingly home to me. I was raised hyper religiously in the Jehovah's Witnesses. At that age, all I could think about is pleasing the adults around me. I went so far as to get baptized in their faith because that's what I thought would please them. Now, if this kids parents were over the top on this, they might just grasp at boys being boys at that age and drive him into determining something that would please them instead of letting nature take it's course.

I remember a tale about some parents that wanted to raise their son. gender neutral, so they bought him dolls and a playhouse. I remember their horror when they found out that the playhouse was turned into a garage and Barbie and Ken turned into solders fighting on a battlefield. Parents expectations should be centered around the health and well being of a child. Not around political expedience.

If the kid is gay, I have nothing against that and would support him in whatever he ends up being. I

draykorinee

#6 Post by draykorinee » September 26th, 2013, 6:52 am

Alan H wrote:This appears to be the story: When Your 7-Year-Old Son Announces, 'I'm Gay'

If it's not, it's very similar. However, I'm not sure we know whether that is a photo of the boy concerned. His mother writes under a psrudonym.
Well that sure would be unfortunate for the kid, to be associated with what is for all intents and purposes,a homosexual propaganda story. I agree that if he is gay, so be it, I can't think of any particular reason why I should be concerned by it personally, living in Brighton, gay men/woman are prevelant, its almost the norm, but this whole gay rights has almost become a parody, it sometime feels like little Britain, a crusade to anounce who is gay first and how proud we are they have come out.
Obviously this is based on life in Brighton, I imagine in America where this story is probably based, the understanding and tolerance is about zero so can understand these 'goodwill' gay stories.
sanctimonious
ˌsaŋ(k)tɪˈməʊnɪəs/Submit
adjectivederogatory

jaywhat

#7 Post by jaywhat » September 26th, 2013, 10:40 am

When I was young we were all gay. We had a jolly happy time and frolicked about hither and thither.

Alan H

#8 Post by Alan H » September 26th, 2013, 10:51 am

draykorinee wrote:Obviously this is based on life in Brighton, I imagine in America where this story is probably based, the understanding and tolerance is about zero so can understand these 'goodwill' gay stories.
I think it is still needed in many sections of UK society as well - it's not all like Brighton.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

getreal

#9 Post by getreal » September 26th, 2013, 11:36 am

sexuality is rarely an "either/or" issue. It's a spectrum. It takes most kids many years of experience and experiment to decide about this.

This piece saddens me as it is much too simplistic.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Justme

#10 Post by Justme » September 26th, 2013, 1:42 pm

draykorinee wrote:
Alan H wrote:This appears to be the story: When Your 7-Year-Old Son Announces, 'I'm Gay'

Well that sure would be unfortunate for the kid, to be associated with what is for all intents and purposes,a homosexual propaganda story. I agree that if he is gay, so be it, I can't think of any particular reason why I should be concerned by it personally, living in Brighton, gay men/woman are prevelant, its almost the norm, but this whole gay rights has almost become a parody, it sometime feels like little Britain, a crusade to anounce who is gay first and how proud we are they have come out.
Obviously this is based on life in Brighton, I imagine in America where this story is probably based, the understanding and tolerance is about zero so can understand these 'goodwill' gay stories.
You'd be surprised at how many flock to the flavor of the day. The most sacred and solemn word of the day is tolerance and everybody is beside themselves to prove who is more tolerant.

Of course people who actually accept others for who they are,don't feel there is anything that the other person is doing to be tolerant of. but that concept hasn't struck home to those fighting to board the band wagon nick named open mindedness. They just think others hate the object of there newest issue because the opposition sees them as the loons they act like.

Fia

#11 Post by Fia » September 28th, 2013, 10:15 pm

draykorinee wrote:I imagine in America where this story is probably based, the understanding and tolerance is about zero
this, filmed in Texas of all places surprisingly suggests otherwise.

There are good folk everywhere. We're just not news.

Dave B

#12 Post by Dave B » September 28th, 2013, 10:45 pm

That was definitely surprising! Thanks, Fia.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Justme

#13 Post by Justme » September 29th, 2013, 1:10 am

Could someone please explain to why this video is so surprising? Has anybody met everyone in the state of Texas, in order to have any knowledge of their stance on gay marriage? The press in this country have a field day running around finding all the outlandish wackos that fit their image of everyone outside the area they reside in. They illuminate the lunacy of these people, like the preacher that burned the Koran and suddenly everyone decides that the entire area is infested by these same people.

draykorinee

#14 Post by draykorinee » September 29th, 2013, 8:04 am

Justme wrote:Could someone please explain to why this video is so surprising? Has anybody met everyone in the state of Texas, in order to have any knowledge of their stance on gay marriage? The press in this country have a field day running around finding all the outlandish wackos that fit their image of everyone outside the area they reside in. They illuminate the lunacy of these people, like the preacher that burned the Koran and suddenly everyone decides that the entire area is infested by these same people.
You ask why we would find this video surprising then answer your own question, there is no smoke without fire either i'm afraid. That being said it was an amazing video, and offered a good insight in to Texas, one of 29 states where people can be refused for being gay..
sanctimonious
ˌsaŋ(k)tɪˈməʊnɪəs/Submit
adjectivederogatory

Justme

#15 Post by Justme » September 29th, 2013, 3:30 pm

draykorinee wrote:
Justme wrote:Could someone please explain to why this video is so surprising? Has anybody met everyone in the state of Texas, in order to have any knowledge of their stance on gay marriage? The press in this country have a field day running around finding all the outlandish wackos that fit their image of everyone outside the area they reside in. They illuminate the lunacy of these people, like the preacher that burned the Koran and suddenly everyone decides that the entire area is infested by these same people.
You ask why we would find this video surprising then answer your own question, there is no smoke without fire either i'm afraid. That being said it was an amazing video, and offered a good insight in to Texas, one of 29 states where people can be refused for being gay..
Wrong! there is smoke when one constantly search for it in a specified place. My question is why there are not equal attention given to the areas of the country where the populous is considered liberated. This is a prejudicial video that attempts to portray a group of people in a certain light. It doesn't not even attempt to be fair and impartial.

Humanism and humanity doesn't stop at the Mason/Dixon line, but those people who wish a target to look down upon would will it to be so, so they can amuse themselves. I don't care what part of any country you reside. You deserve to be treated with dignity and not be stereotyped as this vid attempts to do.

Prejudism is a vile a disgusting thing and is not deligated to the right wing in this country or any country.

draykorinee

#16 Post by draykorinee » September 29th, 2013, 7:22 pm

Justme wrote:
Wrong! there is smoke when one constantly search for it in a specified place.
ummm, but there is still smoke, therefore there is fire, doesn't matter if you go looking in specific places, thats the whole point of the saying, no smoke without fire...so no, not wrong.
Justme wrote:My question is why there are not equal attention given to the areas of the country where the populous is considered liberated.
Clearly there was because they did the exact same set up a year ago in New York and got different results, they said this in the video.
sanctimonious
ˌsaŋ(k)tɪˈməʊnɪəs/Submit
adjectivederogatory

Cam

#17 Post by Cam » November 2nd, 2013, 5:40 pm

Depends how you define sexuality. One definition is: the capacity to have erotic experiences and responses.

I would presume that is not what they mean in this case. I might be wrong, but at age seven, I would not expect the capacity to have erotic experiences and responses to be in force.

My earliest memory of a 'crush' was at age ten, but there was no erotic element to it.

Also, some people's sexuality changes over time and they wrestle with the definitions and 'pidgeon holes' that society has to force them into. So bearing that in mind, I don't think the original question can be answered very easily if at all.

I can understand what the father is saying in principle but posting that on the internet is definately not wise.