INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Australian Guides show the way

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Nick

Re: Australian Guides show the way

#41 Post by Nick » July 12th, 2012, 12:25 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

OK.... instead of:

"I promise that I will do my best; to be true to myself and develop my beliefs; to serve my community and Australia, and live by the Guide Law."

how about....

"I promise to endeavour to do my best, to use reason and humanity to guide me, to treat others with tolerance, consideration and compassion, to make a positive contribution to the society in which we all live, and to keep the Guide Law."

(Not sure what the Guide Law is, though.... "Follow the Umbrella and Don't Miss the coach"? :D )

Dave B

#42 Post by Dave B » July 12th, 2012, 12:38 pm

(Not sure what the Guide Law is, though.... "Follow the Umbrella and Don't Miss the coach"? :D )
(Saw one female guide in London with a large plastic sunflower - much more distinctive! :laughter: )
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Kismet

#43 Post by Kismet » July 13th, 2012, 5:51 am

Alan H wrote:Hmmm...Not much clearer. And it still doesn't tell me much about what you think a secular state is.
Think about this... if you were living your life in Nazi Germany, and say you were an ardent follower of Hitler, I'm not saying this state of affairs is right or wrong.... but I am saying you would have a lot more conviction in yourself.... and thus be living in BEING. Every action is a commitment, in such a scenario as they might say. That is the power of ideology.

The same might go for living in Medieval Europe where God is a living presence. Or in a South American tribe where dangerous night time tracks are a sacred rite. You are no longer living for yourself, but on behalf of BEING.

But what is a secular state? Easy: a milquetoast.

Altfish

#44 Post by Altfish » July 13th, 2012, 7:32 am

Kismet wrote:But what is a secular state? Easy: a milquetoast.
I admit, I had to look it up...
A milquetoast is a weak, ineffectual or bland person

On what basis do you come to this conclusion?

Dave B

#45 Post by Dave B » July 13th, 2012, 9:26 am

You beat me to it, Altfish.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#46 Post by Alan H » July 13th, 2012, 10:44 am

Kismet wrote:
Alan H wrote:Hmmm...Not much clearer. And it still doesn't tell me much about what you think a secular state is.
Think about this... if you were living your life in Nazi Germany, and say you were an ardent follower of Hitler, I'm not saying this state of affairs is right or wrong.... but I am saying you would have a lot more conviction in yourself.... and thus be living in BEING. Every action is a commitment, in such a scenario as they might say. That is the power of ideology.

The same might go for living in Medieval Europe where God is a living presence. Or in a South American tribe where dangerous night time tracks are a sacred rite. You are no longer living for yourself, but on behalf of BEING.

Utter tosh. Your analogy fails on every level. And you still have little idea about what a secular state is.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Kismet

#47 Post by Kismet » July 13th, 2012, 7:37 pm

Alan H wrote:
Kismet wrote:

Utter tosh. Your analogy fails on every level. And you still have little idea about what a secular state is.
Well, that is your opinion, I guess. :laughter:

animist

#48 Post by animist » July 13th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Kismet wrote:So the point is, you can't be neutral and secular, because then you default to secularism.
that is false inasmuch as it is meaningful; neutrality is the essence of secularism. It is not "irreligious", whatever that means, or atheistic, but simply non-religious. It is not, in short, a view about the existence or otherwise of God, but a demand that religion be kept in the private rather than the public sphere

Kismet

#49 Post by Kismet » July 13th, 2012, 9:47 pm

animist wrote:
Kismet wrote:So the point is, you can't be neutral and secular, because then you default to secularism.
that is false inasmuch as it is meaningful; neutrality is the essence of secularism. It is not "irreligious", whatever that means, or atheistic, but simply non-religious. It is not, in short, a view about the existence or otherwise of God, but a demand that religion be kept in the private rather than the public sphere
In theory perhaps you would be correct but practically a secular state is like a magnet: it attracts ferrous material in the form of atheists and agnostics and repels theists. So, on that basis, you end up having a nation as jaded as this here forum. Especially when something does not fit into the "critical thinking" vault. Anything new, (even a new God!) is thrown out the window in utero.

Alan C.

#50 Post by Alan C. » July 13th, 2012, 9:58 pm

you end up having a nation as jaded as this here forum.
If that's your view of the forum feel free to fuck off and take your nonsensical ramblings with you.
Close the door on your way out. :smile:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Kismet

#51 Post by Kismet » July 13th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Alan C. wrote:
you end up having a nation as jaded as this here forum.
If that's your view of the forum feel free to fuck off and take your nonsensical ramblings with you.
Close the door on your way out. :smile:
Sorry, is it wrong to give my opinion?

Why are you so angry and pissed off? :hilarity: Could it be you have an inadequate view to the truth? I think so, but I'm just giving you my P.O.V.

Dave B

#52 Post by Dave B » July 13th, 2012, 10:11 pm

Give your opinion as much as you like, it may only have any value to yourself though. But it gets tiresome after a while, like a child who finds a soft spot in another and worries at it.
Me, 2015

Kismet

#53 Post by Kismet » July 13th, 2012, 10:15 pm

Dave B wrote:Give your opinion as much as you like, it may only have any value to yourself though. But it gets tiresome after a while, like a child who finds a soft spot in another and worries at it.
I am doing no such thing. I was abused for making one comment.....

My opinion of this board has gone down though before it was hopeful. :C

Too many 'fucks' as it were......

Alan H

#54 Post by Alan H » July 13th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Kismet wrote:
Alan H wrote:Utter tosh. Your analogy fails on every level. And you still have little idea about what a secular state is.
No need to guess. I own up, that is my opinion.

But you still are jumping the gun rather a lot: you keep telling us in your own inimitable way that you think a secular state is utterly abhorrent to you and the road to hell, but the problem is that we would appear to have quite different views on what a secular state is. I've asked you several times what you think it is, but I'm none the wiser as to what you think it is any why you have such a poor view of it.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Kismet

#55 Post by Kismet » July 13th, 2012, 10:41 pm

Alan H wrote:
Kismet wrote:
Alan H wrote:Utter tosh. Your analogy fails on every level. And you still have little idea about what a secular state is.
No need to guess. I own up, that is my opinion.

But you still are jumping the gun rather a lot: you keep telling us in your own inimitable way that you think a secular state is utterly abhorrent to you and the road to hell, but the problem is that we would appear to have quite different views on what a secular state is. I've asked you several times what you think it is, but I'm none the wiser as to what you think it is any why you have such a poor view of it.
Wha? Abhorrent? No, I'm just saying its not neutral. Because the result of it is not neutral. Just look at all this cynical smarmy hatred of religion on these forums. It comes from embracing humanist values. Just so, secular values would rob humans of conviction. It is a state contra conviction, not merely neutral.

getreal

#56 Post by getreal » July 13th, 2012, 10:48 pm

Kismet, are you saying there is something intrinsically "bad" about a secular state? Why do you think this would be so? Are you saying a state in which religion is enshrined in the constitution would be better? How much religion (or how little) would there be? What religion would be enshrined? How would this be decided?

I'm really tired so i hope this makes sense outside my head.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Kismet

#57 Post by Kismet » July 13th, 2012, 10:49 pm

getreal wrote:Kismet, are you saying there is something intrinsically "bad" about a secular state? Why do you think this would be so? Are you saying a state in which religion is enshrined in the constitution would be better? How much religion (or how little) would there be? What religion would be enshrined? How would this be decided?

I'm really tired so i hope this makes sense outside my head.
I'm not saying its bad, just boring.

getreal

#58 Post by getreal » July 13th, 2012, 11:01 pm

How can a political entity be boring?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#59 Post by Alan H » July 13th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Kismet wrote:Wha? Abhorrent? No, I'm just saying its not neutral. Because the result of it is not neutral. Just look at all this cynical smarmy hatred of religion on these forums. It comes from embracing humanist values. Just so, secular values would rob humans of conviction. It is a state contra conviction, not merely neutral.
Ah! Now we're getting to the bottom of your problem and misunderstanding. And indeed, you undermine your own position.

This forum is not neutral - it is a place where we can all give our views on whatever we like and sometimes on religion. That would be the same wherever we were based, whether in a highly religious theocracy or in a neutral, secular state. (I hope it's not lost on you that it is very likely to be the religious theocracy that would seek to limit our freedom of speech here.)

This forum is not secular, but it is a place where many secular humanists meet. This forum does not need to be neutral - and I've no idea what a neutral forum would even look like if it was only allowed to say things that were neutral and free of judgement.

However, that has nothing whatsoever to do with a secular State.

The UK isn't a secular state - religions hold sway and have undeserved influence and power. In the US, the state is nominally separate from religion, but religion there too has unearned influence. But it's closer to being secular than some - but not as secular as others - but we're at the secular end of the spectrum.

But a secular state is not one where Humanists have the same level of undue power and influence that religions currently have in our countries: it is one where decisions are made on the basis of the strength of arguments, not on the basis of what one religion says their holy book says.

But that does not mean that people are prevented or hindered in any way from believing whatever they like. As now, we are free in both countries to think what we like - we can be devoutly religious; we can believe in aliens from the planet Zog; we can believe gods created the Universe 6,000 years ago; or we can believe she didn't.

That's as it should be (unless you'd like a totalitarian state where we are told what religious beliefs we should have?). But there are some limitations put on how we express our beliefs. Although each country has different laws, there are not many fundamental differences between us.

Think what a secular UK or US would be like. For example, we would not have (only) male Bishops in the House of Lords by right (ie just because they are the Church of England and not because they have any particular expertise or unique knowledge) influencing our laws; we would not have the state funding religious schools (they would have to fund their own, with careful controls to ensure they did not indoctrinate).

Life would go on much as it is at the moment - just that bit of influence of religions would disappear. The State would not be influenced by religions and would give no favour nor privilege to religions. Nor would they give favour or privilege to Humanists. It would be neutral. And it would carry on with policies and laws not really that much different to what they do now, basing them on a consideration of the evidence.

But the big mistake you seem to be making is thinking that a secular state would force us all to be atheists. Utter nonsense. This (very nearly, certainly compared to some theocracies) secular State that we live in here does not force us to be religious (although this current Government is heading in that direction and the religious influence in the US seeks to curb rights there).

Unless of course, you think we should all be forced to be religious, indoctrinated from a very early age into whatever is the dominant religion of the day?
Alan Henness

Kismet

#60 Post by Kismet » July 14th, 2012, 4:06 am

Alan H wrote:But the big mistake you seem to be making is thinking that a secular state would force us all to be atheists. Utter nonsense. This (very nearly, certainly compared to some theocracies) secular State that we live in here does not force us to be religious (although this current Government is heading in that direction and the religious influence in the US seeks to curb rights there).
Of course secular states which are democratic do not 'force' anyone to give up religion (unless they legislate in unauthorized ways). My whole point is that they gradually denude religions of power and efficacy, and so they shrivel up. This reductionism of religion from inhabiting the public square is I think a bad thing.
Alan H wrote:Unless of course, you think we should all be forced to be religious, indoctrinated from a very early age into whatever is the dominant religion of the day?
Nah, I have a somewhat more nuanced view. I believe religion should be an integral part of politics, but not in any sectarian fashion. In my view there is no dominant religion of the day. Truth is eternal and any particular religion is simply an interpretation of that one Being.

animist

#61 Post by animist » July 14th, 2012, 10:13 am

Kismet wrote: Nah, I have a somewhat more nuanced view. I believe religion should be an integral part of politics, but not in any sectarian fashion. In my view there is no dominant religion of the day. Truth is eternal and any particular religion is simply an interpretation of that one Being.
gibberish. Since religions are inconsistent with each other, how can they all validly interpret some one thing? And why should religion, whatever you mean by that, have any part in politics?