INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

The privatisation of the Police?

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Alan H

The privatisation of the Police?

#1 Post by Alan H » February 6th, 2012, 12:18 am

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

Re: The privatisation of the Police?

#2 Post by Dave B » February 6th, 2012, 8:18 am

I seem to remember something about this from some time ago, police being paid for extra patrols in certain areas.

Perhaps there is a case for police licensed, even trained, private detectives to investigate such things as fraud - so long as the companies pay for it and a police officer has to be present for any court agreed searches (similar to the situation regarding bailiffs now) and only a police officer can make an arrest.

The idea that the size of one's wallet determines the response one gets is frightening.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Nick

#3 Post by Nick » February 6th, 2012, 1:54 pm

Sometimes there is justification (IMO) for private or corporate money to be paid for police services. The extra costs of patrolling football matches is one example. "Privatisation" is an emotive term, which is not always useful or appropriate.

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » February 6th, 2012, 2:16 pm

Nick wrote:Sometimes there is justification (IMO) for private or corporate money to be paid for police services. The extra costs of patrolling football matches is one example. "Privatisation" is an emotive term, which is not always useful or appropriate.
Do not the sports stadia have to pay for extra Plods for the matches?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Val

#5 Post by Val » February 6th, 2012, 5:48 pm

I think the clubs pay for the police stationed within the stadium but not for the extra needed to control the crowds to and fro the city centres.

Alan C.

#6 Post by Alan C. » February 6th, 2012, 6:49 pm

I think you're right Val.

The sectarian Orange order pay nothing for the policing of their obnoxious marches in Scotland.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » February 6th, 2012, 7:29 pm

On now on BBC London is an item about charging football clubs for policing.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

duncolm

#8 Post by duncolm » February 6th, 2012, 7:36 pm

Donald Trump seems to think the police are his already....

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... e.15321686
The Big Bang Question:
If a universe pops into existence but no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Alan H

#9 Post by Alan H » February 6th, 2012, 7:42 pm

Surely, if we want to maintain absolutely impartiality and complete transparency, the police should be entirely publicly funded, at arms-length from Government? Anything short of that leaves the door open to manipulation and reduced confidence in the police.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#10 Post by Dave B » February 6th, 2012, 8:28 pm

That is a frightening scenario in Scotland, but somehow it does not surprise me. Trump has a rating close to zero the gap cannot be measured on my scale of "People I Admire"! But I admire the local police from doing their best to stand up to him.

It has struck me that this is one type of situation where the FoIA can work to the advantage of such organisations as the police. I would think that they normally dislike having to "tell all", but when up against a man like Trump it can help them to let the public see what they face and how they are handling it. May even be a part in their decision to record all meetings to cover their posteriors, Joe Public might ask what went on.

Just hope they are not manipulating the choice of released documents.
Me, 2015

Marian

#11 Post by Marian » February 11th, 2012, 1:10 am

Alan H wrote:Surely, if we want to maintain absolutely impartiality and complete transparency, the police should be entirely publicly funded, at arms-length from Government? Anything short of that leaves the door open to manipulation and reduced confidence in the police.
I'm in absolute agreement but alas here in Toronto, policing is tied in with local government for funding. What a nightmare. You just know there has to be some level of corruption over and above the usual. Scary stuff.

In the case of private hiring of police here, every other street corner downtown you'll see a uniformed officer. And what is he doing? He's being paid $66 per hour to stand next to a hole in the pavement that's being re-paved. That's a lot of tax-payers money. I could see policing football games if potential riots occur but that almost never happens here (Vancouver is the one exception to that)
Transformative fire...