INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Inspirational People

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
petemster

Inspirational People

#1 Post by petemster » August 8th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Every so often we come across someone truly inspirational. Here's one.

No Arms No Legs No Worries - Nick Vujicic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciYk-Uwq ... re=related

Do you know of any others ?

Dave B

Re: Inspirational People

#2 Post by Dave B » August 8th, 2011, 2:28 pm

All I can think of is, wow!

I have seen other videos of people with disability that have used them to shape their lives, but this guy has found another dimension to add to that. I would think that he is a very positive force on the majority of the kids he talks to - hope so anyway.

One can only admire those who achieve the seemingly impossible, like Evelyn Glennie, a profoundly deaf person who is a world leading percussionist. They prove that physical disability is not a barrier.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#3 Post by Alan H » August 9th, 2011, 12:15 am

And wow again!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan C.

#4 Post by Alan C. » January 11th, 2012, 3:29 pm

I can't find anywhere more suitable for this so here goes. From Maryam Namazie' blog.
Women cane morality police.

Lots of positive posts below the story including the one below, it fairly brightened my day :smile:
Maryam Namazie says:
January 10, 2012 at 12:33 pm

No they took the canes off the Islamists and beat them with their own weapons! LOL
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » January 11th, 2012, 5:33 pm

freethoughtblogs must be very busy, gave up waiting for a connection to them! Will try again another time.

Hmm, found the address for the lady's blog and got an "Error 503, service unavailable" message - server overloaded!

Got there in the end.

Hope this starts a nationwide movement!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#6 Post by Alan C. » January 11th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Oops! Didn't read Dave's penultimate line, this post is redundant so I've removed it.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Fia

#7 Post by Fia » January 11th, 2012, 9:37 pm

Thanks for reminding us of Maryam, Alan. She well deserved her Secularist of the year award a few years ago.
And well good on the brave women who fought back...

Val

#8 Post by Val » January 11th, 2012, 10:22 pm

Re Nick Vijujic, If you watch others of his films you will see that he is o.k. because his God makes it ok, He preaches and proselitises to the kids, he is a real believer.

Marian

#9 Post by Marian » January 11th, 2012, 11:51 pm

Val wrote:Re Nick Vijujic, If you watch others of his films you will see that he is o.k. because his God makes it ok, He preaches and proselitises to the kids, he is a real believer.
I didn't know that, Val. I had looked at the cover of his book but didn't really feel compelled to study it at all. I don't know why. Interesting perspective he's got with the god thing. I guess if he preaches that keeps him in god's good books? :)
Transformative fire...

Dave B

#10 Post by Dave B » January 12th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Val wrote:Re Nick Vijujic, If you watch others of his films you will see that he is o.k. because his God makes it ok, He preaches and proselitises to the kids, he is a real believer.
Oh, dear, every silver lining has to have a cloud!
Me, 2015

Dave B

#11 Post by Dave B » January 29th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Me, 2015

Alan H

#12 Post by Alan H » January 29th, 2012, 10:40 pm

Seen it before, but still as powerful and moving a second time.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#13 Post by Alan H » February 25th, 2012, 5:42 pm

I think this definitely qualifies...

24-month-old deaf child having a conversation.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#14 Post by Dave B » February 25th, 2012, 6:02 pm

Loverly! :smile:
Me, 2015

Compassionist

#15 Post by Compassionist » February 25th, 2012, 8:59 pm

I am very impressed by his attitude and achievements. Thank you petemster for sharing the link.

:offtopic: Administrators are free to put the following into a new thread elsewhere.

Why doesn't God miraculously give him normal arms and legs? Surely, his testimony such a miracle would convert everyone on Earth? Incidentally, I found some Christian miracles on You Tube:

Testimony of Sindhuja

Boy in Africa Raised From the Dead, after being dead for 24 hours!

Frances Finn's leg

Are these true? If so, do they prove Christianity to be true? Should we all become Christian without delay?

Alan H

#16 Post by Alan H » February 25th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Compassionist wrote:Why doesn't God miraculously give him normal arms and legs? Surely, his testimony such a miracle would convert everyone on Earth? Incidentally, I found some Christian miracles on You Tube:

Testimony of Sindhuja

Frances Finn's leg

Are these true? If so, do they prove Christianity to be true? Should we all become Christian without delay?
The first is a money-making scam using an unverified anecdote.

I didn't watch all of the second, but there's no reason to believe it.

The third is a very common con trick used by religious 'healers'. There are two very simple tricks that even I could do and fool people with a bit of practice.

There are far, far more likely explanations with all of them than to jump to the conclusion that they were miracles - with all the ramifications that come with that.
Alan Henness

Compassionist

#17 Post by Compassionist » February 26th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Alan H wrote:
Compassionist wrote:Why doesn't God miraculously give him normal arms and legs? Surely, his testimony such a miracle would convert everyone on Earth? Incidentally, I found some Christian miracles on You Tube:

Testimony of Sindhuja

Frances Finn's leg

The first is a money-making scam using an unverified anecdote.

I didn't watch all of the second, but there's no reason to believe it.

The third is a very common con trick used by religious 'healers'. There are two very simple tricks that even I could do and fool people with a bit of practice.

There are far, far more likely explanations with all of them than to jump to the conclusion that they were miracles - with all the ramifications that come with that.
Thanks for your thoughts. I would like to know more about how the 'tricks' were carried out. I know that televangelists rake in fortunes from gullible people. Does anyone know more details?

In the 'dead boy resurrected' video the doctor who saw the boy before he 'died' converted from idol worshipping to Christianity. He claimed that his doctor friends also converted. I wonder why it was not reported in any medical journals.

Alan H

#18 Post by Alan H » February 26th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Compassionist wrote:I would like to know more about how the 'tricks' were carried out. I know that televangelists rake in fortunes from gullible people. Does anyone know more details?
I'll look at the 'dead' boy video later, but the leg length one is easy to debunk.

Sit with your legs straight out in front of you - your legs should be of equal length with your soles and heels level with each other. Now swing both legs slightly to one side...Another trick is to pull one shoe (they are always wearing shoes) down a bit (while diverting the audience) - lo! one foot is shorter than the other. To create a miracle, simply say your incantation and push it back.

There's a good video by Randi that debunks this.
Alan Henness

Compassionist

#19 Post by Compassionist » February 26th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Alan H wrote:
Compassionist wrote:I would like to know more about how the 'tricks' were carried out. I know that televangelists rake in fortunes from gullible people. Does anyone know more details?
I'll look at the 'dead' boy video later, but the leg length one is easy to debunk.

Sit with your legs straight out in front of you - your legs should be of equal length with your soles and heels level with each other. Now swing both legs slightly to one side...Another trick is to pull one shoe (they are always wearing shoes) down a bit (while diverting the audience) - lo! one foot is shorter than the other. To create a miracle, simply say your incantation and push it back.

There's a good video by Randi that debunks this.
I loved the James Randi video. Many thanks for the link. What puzzles me is why would people go up to the stage and go along with the leg lengthening charade? The little girl's mum is complicit in the charade as she tells the story of how the little girl's leg got two inches shorter. Do they get paid to lie? What's going on?

Alan H

#20 Post by Alan H » February 26th, 2012, 4:43 pm

Compassionist wrote:I loved the James Randi video. Many thanks for the link. What puzzles me is why would people go up to the stage and go along with the leg lengthening charade? The little girl's mum is complicit in the charade as she tells the story of how the little girl's leg got two inches shorter. Do they get paid to lie? What's going on?
People are easily fooled and I suspect the mother was not complicit (although it's a very well known tactic for these money-grabbing evangelicals). Just think magicians: some no doubt use stooges, but even members of the public can be easily fooled into seeing things that are not really happening. Then put yourself in the position of a believing mother who wants more than anything else to see her daughter's problem resolved. (Didn't AA Allen in the video say that the girl's leg was two inches shorter? Is that believable? She seemed capable of walking fairly normally.)
Alan Henness