INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Flags

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Manuel

Flags

#1 Post by Manuel » March 29th, 2011, 10:20 am

I've never been a flag waver. The football season brings them out in force, flapping on the roofs of cars, painted onto vans, stuck to house windows, on people's clothes. I find the idea of wearing that ugly flag badge a bit backward and distasteful, and I've never really been swept along with the 'passion' and 'pride' in this context. I also suspect there are some that use the whole furore as an opportunity to stick two fingers up at foreigners.

Anyway, far be it from me to want to stop people doing what they want to do, and I of course expect the same consideration in return. So when the next European Championships are in full swing, I shall attach two German flags to the roof of my hatchback, and go about my business. Why shouldn't I? Perhaps I have a german relative, or maybe I just like the colours. The reaction will be interesting.

Nick

Re: Flags

#2 Post by Nick » March 29th, 2011, 10:26 am

Just be careful! I seem to remember Top Gear (I think) leaving a car with flags of St. George parked in Glasgow. It was wrecked within hours. I think it says more about yobs than flags. And why can't soccer fans keep their violence on the pitch like us rugger buggers? :wink:

animist

#3 Post by animist » March 29th, 2011, 11:23 am

Nick wrote:Just be careful! I seem to remember Top Gear (I think) leaving a car with flags of St. George parked in Glasgow. It was wrecked within hours. I think it says more about yobs than flags. And why can't soccer fans keep their violence on the pitch like us rugger buggers? :wink:
saying what happened in Glasgow is more about yobs than flags is a bit like those US gunslinging prats of the NRA saying that it's people who kill, not guns. I detest all patriotism, partisanship and flags (though the subject of flags, and for that matter football gear, is quite interesting, and I'm always mentally desiging new colours and designs!) Why is it that people have so little to interest them that they have to join some human band, symbolised by a meaningless flag and connected with a meaningless pursuit, and then attack some other band or its symbol?

petemster

#4 Post by petemster » March 29th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Nick wrote:Just be careful! I seem to remember Top Gear (I think) leaving a car with flags of St. George parked in Glasgow. It was wrecked within hours. I think it says more about yobs than flags. And why can't soccer fans keep their violence on the pitch like us rugger buggers? :wink:

Well I just want to say . . . . It wasn't me !

Actually, Nick, you make a very good point, but forgive me for questioning your memory. There was indeed an
incident which happened in Eyemouth in the Borders, during the last Football World Cup, when two St, George's
flags attached to a parked car were set alight, causing minor damage.
There was also an incident where the Nairn Coastguard left a Toyota Hilux on a beach where it was submerged by
the tide and rendered "undriveable" - a feat that Top Gear had failed to achieve with the same model, having
tried fire, water, and crushing.
Maybe these two incidents have become coupled together, much like the phrases "Top Gear" and "wrecked car".
Anyway, if the incident you describe did take place, I wonder which of the actions was the more irresponsible.

Don't get me wrong. I know we have our fair share of nutters but most of us simply enjoy the friendly rivalry,
although speaking for myself, I don't have much time for those dreadful national anthems. They are a total
embarrassment.
It all raises the question : to what degree should we take pride in the achievements of our fellow
countrymen and women, or our native city or even our own family members ? I don't know.

As with many moral issues there seems to be a spectrum of possibilities, from quiet pride in worthwhile
accomplishment to completely unfounded and despicable claims of racial superiority.
I'm reminded of Richard Feynman's account of the student who, for the alleged purpose of completing a
dissertation or thesis, asked his permission to include him (Feynman) in a list of Jews who had made
outstanding achievements in the fields of science, arts, etc. etc.
Feynman rejected the request saying that he disapproved of such racism.

Yes, we do have to watch out for these racist tendencies. I suppose Glasgow has its own problems. You're right !