INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Tips

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Dave B

Tips

#1 Post by Dave B » September 20th, 2010, 5:57 pm

Not sure were else to put this:

Tips for using those little elastic thingies girls (!) use to hold their hair in pig tails or whatever (but ones without a metal crimp). . .

1. Holding the cap of a USB memory stick to the body (if both have a securing loop)

2. As a band around the lens to keep the lenscap of your camera on a leash.

Any other similar application.

In both cases you may need a loop of some sort of cord that is strong but thinner than the elastic whatsit to pass through a small attachment loop.
This is as used on my USB microscope.

Alan, I set the image size as 640 x 480 in PhotoPlus it was "over 700 wide" and could not be used. Then I set it 20 x 15 (via several stages) using PhotoBucket's editor and it still came out huge - any idea why?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Dave B

Re: Tips

#2 Post by Dave B » September 20th, 2010, 6:02 pm

Tip 2 for today:

Painted something (smallish) white yesterday then got a call that it was needed in a hurry - but I was out of white spirit. I thought of something we did at work (with an adhesive that refused to stop being tacky) and dusted the whole thing with talcum powder. That "dried" the paint and a polish (within five minutes) with a tissue gave a nice "silk" finish!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » April 9th, 2016, 9:54 am

Got a cupboard with lots of height but a dearth of shelves in the upper region? Use a "clothes line"!

I have one such cupboard in the kitchen; my solution is to stretch a strongish "parachute" type cord across it between two hooks. Using either clothes pegs, or those stronger plastic clips, it is now adorned with half-used packets of this and that.

May offer to do a similar job in a friend's "cleaning" cupboad so she can hang up more dusters etc. but still leave height behind for the floor brush and mop handles. Might be useful in her shed as well, it's half full of soft stuff no ""man-cave" would entertain!
Me, 2015

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » May 13th, 2016, 12:00 pm

COLD PACK

One of my knees has decided to play up, probably bursitis, swollen, red, very painful. Needed a cold pack. No ice, damn!

:idea:

Ah, have a flexible plastic refill pouch of hand wash almost empty - refill all hand wash bottles. Great.

Wash out, shake as much water out as possible and 3/4 fill with car anti-freeze,0. Squeeze gently to expel any air, fit cap, check seal, stick in freezer for three hours.

Wrap in one layer of tea towel, apply to knee (or wherever), hold in place with elastic strap, tight tee shirt or whatepever suitable for site of pain. In my case an old knee length sock with foot cut off (shame, last bit of RAF uniform (tropical kit) left over from tour in Bahrein in 1969! They will still serve as knee warmers in the winter.)

Works well, swelling and pain reduced.
Me, 2015

lewist

#5 Post by lewist » May 14th, 2016, 10:36 pm

Dave B wrote:COLD PACK One of my knees has decided to play up, probably bursitis, swollen, red, very painful. Needed a cold pack. No ice, damn! :idea:
In my primary teaching days, before the invention of ice packs to keep in the fridge, we went to the school kitchen and scrounged a wee bag of frozen peas for minor injuries. The children liked that.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#6 Post by Alan H » May 14th, 2016, 10:42 pm

lewist wrote:
Dave B wrote:COLD PACK One of my knees has decided to play up, probably bursitis, swollen, red, very painful. Needed a cold pack. No ice, damn! :idea:
In my primary teaching days, before the invention of ice packs to keep in the fridge, we went to the school kitchen and scrounged a wee bag of frozen peas for minor injuries. The children liked that.
I bet Brussels sprouts wouldn't have had the same effect... :D
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#7 Post by Dave B » May 15th, 2016, 8:52 am

lewist wrote:
Yeah, thought of veg but only had almost empty bags in my little freezer. Think liquid conducts more heat away for longer, pouch was still cold over an hour later.

But, have been told stories of bags of peas, as emergency measure, in the right place even preventing possible paralysis in cases of spinal injury. Certainly on my first aid technique list!
Me, 2015

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B » May 22nd, 2017, 7:13 pm

I got myself scratched on my arm by a vicious thorny plant thing by the street door. It didn't want to stop bleeding with just a plaster and I had no bandages. Then I remembered the elastic ankle supports I bought when I had foot trouble.

Worked perfectly as a comfortable pressure bandage on the arm, even doubled over - leak stopped quite quickly.

The vicious thorny plant thing has now been hacked back from the door! I would ask the neighbour to cut it right back but it is the only place I have seen honey bees feeding so far this year and the birds love the berries. Just needs some discipline.
Me, 2015