INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Stupid scientology

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
getreal

Stupid scientology

#1 Post by getreal » July 20th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Heard about this on radio 4 this evening and I am absolutly livid! What part of the "code of conduct" is John Dixon supposed to have broken? Are councillors no longer allowed to comment on anything? It's not even as if scientology is recognised as a religion in the UK.

....or have I missed something??
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Dave B

Re: Stupid scientology

#2 Post by Dave B » July 20th, 2010, 10:00 pm

I heard this as well, and had much the same reaction as you, getreal!

I am no legal expert and am only going on things that I have heard in the past: if the complainant could get a ruling that he/she felt that, as a member of an organisation called "stupid" by another, he/she had also been labelled, personally, as such then the chances are there could be a case to answer. In that case the question as to whether Scientology is recognised as a religion does not come into it. What possibly does matter is that the councillor put his comment into the public domain.

There is a difference between, "Scientologists are stupid" (statement) and "I think Scientologists are stupid" (opinion). We are all entitled to publish our opinions, but not things that might be taken as statements that are (possibly) untrue. The comment on the blog was intended as voicing an opinion but comes perilously to being interpretable as a statement of the "status" of those who follow this belief.

Scientology is notoriously defensive and litigious, many people have offered advice to be wary of saying anything about it that cannot be proven in a court of law.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Paolo

#3 Post by Paolo » July 21st, 2010, 12:47 pm

You'll like this from the Daily Mash.

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » July 21st, 2010, 1:08 pm

:pointlaugh: Excellent, Paolo!

After posting my last I realised that this is a bit like the Singh/BCA case, except there it was an organisation.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Manuel

#5 Post by Manuel » July 21st, 2010, 2:49 pm

"Dixon's remarks are just typical of the prejudice we face on a daily basis just because we refuse to bow down to the dogma of scientific proof." :smile:

getreal

#6 Post by getreal » July 21st, 2010, 6:59 pm

Great Paolo!
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

jaywhat

#7 Post by jaywhat » August 27th, 2010, 1:58 pm

Stupid scientology?

Is there any other sort?

Daniel P

#8 Post by Daniel P » September 2nd, 2010, 10:27 pm

jaywhat wrote:Stupid scientology?

Is there any other sort?
I think there is.

Scientologists have successfully managed to manipulate many people, and the legal systems, of many countries, for their own ends, for decades. They have been very clever.

Alan C.

#9 Post by Alan C. » September 3rd, 2010, 12:22 am

Daniel P wrote:

Is there any other sort?
I think there is.

Scientologists, Catholics, Muslims, Anglicans et al, have successfully managed to manipulate many people, and the legal systems, of many countries, for their own ends, for decades. They have been very clever.
There, I fixed it for you Daniel.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Gottard

#10 Post by Gottard » September 3rd, 2010, 2:42 pm

STATEMENT:
As of today, me, in full possession of my mental faculties, officially declare that, henceforth, all my contributions in this forum are just sources of opinion and must not be considered in any way as "statements". :hilarity:
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Dave B

#11 Post by Dave B » September 3rd, 2010, 4:31 pm

Daniel P wrote:

Is there any other sort?
I think there is.

Scientologists have successfully managed to manipulate many people, and the legal systems, of many countries, for their own ends, for decades. They have been very clever.
I disagree, that just means that there are people as or more stupid than the recruiting scientologists. Sure being stupid in the first place is a required qualification for getting taken in by the cult?
Me, 2015

Gottard

#12 Post by Gottard » September 3rd, 2010, 4:53 pm

Dave B wrote:I disagree, that just means that there are people as or more stupid than the recruiting scientologists. Sure being stupid in the first place is a required qualification for getting taken in by the cult?
Dave B, you miss to distinguish: Scientologists are crooks/dishonest while adepts are stupid.
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Dave B

#13 Post by Dave B » September 3rd, 2010, 5:46 pm

Gottard, I sit corrected. :D
Me, 2015

getreal

#14 Post by getreal » September 3rd, 2010, 5:57 pm

I think it's unfair to tar all recruits to scientology as stupid. They prey on vulnerable people and are skilled in persuading people join.

...though for the life of me, I can't imagine how they fall for the space opera nonsense they peddle once someone is hooked. That does take a degree of gullability.

Daniel P

#15 Post by Daniel P » September 3rd, 2010, 6:34 pm

getreal wrote:I think it's unfair to tar all recruits to scientology as stupid. They prey on vulnerable people and are skilled in persuading people join.
I couldn't agree more.

Daniel P

#16 Post by Daniel P » September 3rd, 2010, 8:02 pm

Alan C. wrote:
Daniel P wrote:

Is there any other sort?
I think there is.

Scientologists, Catholics, Muslims, Anglicans et al, have successfully managed to manipulate many people, and the legal systems, of many countries, for their own ends, for decades. They have been very clever.
There, I fixed it for you Daniel.
Let's fix it further:

Scientologists, Catholics, Muslims, Anglicans et al, communists, conservatives, liberals, corporations, chief execs & directors, charity do-gooders, etc., have successfully managed to manipulate many people, and the legal systems, of many countries, for their own ends, for decades. They have been very clever.

Anyone cares to add more?

Dave B

#17 Post by Dave B » September 3rd, 2010, 8:07 pm

Anyone cares to add more?
Any person in any position that requires him or her to obtain something from another person (partners, friends and kids do this also!) I was listening to something on the radio about the tricks the tobacco companies use to get round the laws preventing them, supposedly, recruiting "new smokers". That means kids basically. (Coincidence - it is just being repeated on the World Service!)
Me, 2015

getreal

#18 Post by getreal » October 7th, 2010, 5:15 pm

I missed the recent BBC prog on Scientology ("Secrets of Scientology" Panorama, I think) I have searched iplayer and the BBC site but can't find a way to watch it.

anyone know how I can access this? (from UK)

Thanks

Edit. I think I hae found it here

Has anyone else watched it?

Gurdur

#19 Post by Gurdur » October 12th, 2010, 12:35 am

People should read my blog more. :-p

getreal

#20 Post by getreal » October 12th, 2010, 8:56 pm

Well, I would if you provide a link, gurdur!