INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Fox attack! Really?

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Alan H

Re: Fox attack! Really?

#61 Post by Alan H » June 21st, 2010, 11:22 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Child 'bitten by fox' at school in Brighton
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Marian

#62 Post by Marian » June 21st, 2010, 12:53 pm

"The playgroup was closed on Monday while staff considered how to ensure the safety of its children"

Um, I wonder if they've considered watching the children they are paid to take care of. I guess that kid and those caregivers just ran out of good luck... :wink:
Transformative fire...

getreal

#63 Post by getreal » June 22nd, 2010, 11:50 pm

"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Marian

#64 Post by Marian » June 23rd, 2010, 1:52 am

:pointlaugh:
Transformative fire...

jaywhat

#65 Post by jaywhat » July 1st, 2010, 6:46 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10468276.stm

Worth a read considering some of what we have been saying here.

getreal

#66 Post by getreal » July 1st, 2010, 11:36 pm

Unfortunatly, I only saw the tail end of the BBC programme. I'm hoping it'll be available on iplayer later. Even though I think there has been a bit of a hysterical reaction to this incident, I don't for one second condone any threats made to the family from so called animal activists. What has happened to these two babies is indeed awful and I hope they make a good recovery.

But, it remains a very unusual incident. Any wild animal with teeth can attack (my daughter has even been bitten by a vole and a field mouse. Both had been brought in by the cat but were alive and kicking and objecting to being handled) but we have to keep a sense of proportion over this. It makes sense not to encourage foxes - apart from any (very unlikely) danger they would pose by attacking- they smell terrible (and the smell lingers where they have been) and they are often infected by sarcoptic mange, which can also affect domestic dogs and though in dogs it is fairly easily treated, it's not very nice.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

jaywhat

#67 Post by jaywhat » July 2nd, 2010, 6:33 am

The BBC prog was well worth seeing. Various people said it was certainly a very unusual incident but the point is - it was true.
Some good advice came out of it and some relevant facts. The huge number of urban foxes surprised me and although one old lady has been feeding 'her' foxes for many years - we are strongly advised not to.

Alan H

#68 Post by Alan H » July 2nd, 2010, 7:52 pm

Did I hear correctly that one of the police officers at the house caught the fox on his phone camera? If so, if this had been published at the time, it might have done a lot to quash the rumours.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan C.

#69 Post by Alan C. » July 2nd, 2010, 8:11 pm

Yes Alan a policeman did get a (not very good) photo of a fox outside the patio window, there is a half hour documentary here on iplayer for anybody interested. (Probably restricted to UK.)
After watching the documentary, I am left now wondering about the severity of the injuries, I've no doubt a fox can give a nasty nip but listen to the surgeon who says "it's the worst/most severe attack he has ever witnessed," and he has seen thousands of dog attack injuries (his words).
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.