INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Cumbrian murders

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
jaywhat

Cumbrian murders

#1 Post by jaywhat » June 3rd, 2010, 9:41 am

Alan C,
Only just saw your message that included the fact that you have lost friends in Whitehaven. I knew that your had strong connections there and I am very sorry to hear the news, but I am not good at knowing what to say at times like this. Thinking of you and them at this time.

Fia

Re: Cumbrian murders

#2 Post by Fia » June 3rd, 2010, 10:46 am

{{{Alan C}}} I echo what jaywhat has just said. The situation is a tragedy for all concerned, and so soon after the fatal school bus crash.
My love and thoughts go with you and yours too :kiss:

Lifelinking

#3 Post by Lifelinking » June 3rd, 2010, 1:16 pm

Terrible situation. Thinking about you Alan.
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Alan C.

#4 Post by Alan C. » June 3rd, 2010, 6:32 pm

Thanks for the good wishes folks,

One good friend and one acquaintance dead, another friend critical in hospital, none of my or Mary' family involved thankfully.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

ludite

#5 Post by ludite » June 3rd, 2010, 8:06 pm

my heart goes out to you I just wish that I was more eloquent

Emma Woolgatherer

#6 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » June 3rd, 2010, 8:18 pm

So sorry, Alan. It's all very shocking. Hope your friend pulls through.

Emma

seyorni

#7 Post by seyorni » June 3rd, 2010, 8:58 pm

My sympathies, Alan

jaywhat

#8 Post by jaywhat » June 4th, 2010, 6:40 am

never know what good it does vicars being interviewed or politicians going up there - for the photo opportunity

Marian

#9 Post by Marian » June 4th, 2010, 6:58 pm

AlanC,
I'm sorry to hear about more troubles for you. Very sad indeed. Hugs.
Transformative fire...

lewist

#10 Post by lewist » June 4th, 2010, 11:55 pm

Alan... This is a hard time. All I can say is I've been thinking about you and will contunue to do so.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

getreal

#11 Post by getreal » June 5th, 2010, 12:10 am

Alan C. My thoughts are with you and Mary. A truly terrible situation.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Gurdur

#12 Post by Gurdur » June 14th, 2010, 5:29 am

Hi Alan C.,

I am very sorry to hear you have lost people close to you in this tragedy. My very deepest condolences.

Paolo

#13 Post by Paolo » June 14th, 2010, 1:47 pm

What can you say when this sort of thing happens? What a tragic and unnecessary situation. My thoughts are with you and with the many others affected.

Alan H

#14 Post by Alan H » June 14th, 2010, 9:08 pm

********************************************************************************
"That's the sort of person he was, he was a humanist."
http://www.humanism.org.uk/news/view/566
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"That's the sort of person he was, he was a humanist."

The British Humanist Association (BHA) has paid tribute today to one of its members, Mike Pike, who was killed on June 2nd in the Cumbria shootings.

Chief Executive of the BHA, Andrew Copson, said today, ‘From all that has been written and said in tribute to Mike Pike in the past few weeks it is clear that he was a loving person and a paradigm humanist. He was socially concerned, with a history of standing up for his views, and he was active and hugely respected in his local community.’

BHA celebrant Jan Dunckley will be conducting the humanist funeral for the family today. She said, ‘I met Mike and his wife Sheena when I conducted his mother's funeral last October and he was so delighted to meet me, in my role as a humanist celebrant - we had a good talk about philosophy. He was very proud to be a member of BHA.’

Mike PikeDespite the tragic and unusual circumstances of the death, Mike’s daughter Jude Talbot said, ‘I'm not hugely interested in what actually happened. I'm more interested in celebrating the life my father had. That's the sort of person he was, he was a humanist. He thoroughly believed that we should celebrate life, not rake over coals. So that's what we're doing, focussing on my father and the happy times we've had with him.’

Having started his working life a shipbuilder in Liverpool, Mike and his wife Sheena moved to Cumbria after the birth of their first child. Mike worked at the Sellafield plant, eventually becoming a nuclear decommissioning trainer. He had a long and deep involvement as a trades unionist. ‘He was responsible for lots of the actions to do with safety, and pay,’ said Jude. ‘When he got to about 40 he did an Open University degree, and towards retirement he was a nuclear decommissioning trainer, to make sure that everything was safely. Safety was his number one priority and he spent a lot of time training people, making sure that everyone was safe. Yes, that's what he did.

‘He loved his three grandchildren, my two: Abigail, who's 12 and Sam is 9; and my brother's little girl, Anastasia, who's 7. Very, very proud. Loved his grandchildren. He did a lot for them, as well.

‘He made us laugh until our tummies hurt. He had a great sense of humour, a great sense of fun. And he would have absolutely loved the fact that he was mentioned in the House of Commons. He would have really, really liked that. He would have been upset it was a Tory that mentioned him, but he followed politics like you wouldn't believe. He found it fascinating, really enjoyed it. He'd have been really, really happy that David Cameron mentioned him. Even though it was David Cameron.’

Speaking of the village of Seascale in Cumbria, and all the support the family have received from friends and neighbours, Jude said, ‘This was his paradise. He loved it here. He was so happy. And yeah—he 's all around here.’

[Retrieved: Mon Jun 14 2010 21:07:32 GMT+0100 (BST)]

###################
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Nick

#15 Post by Nick » June 14th, 2010, 9:30 pm

I heard his daughter on Radio 4 soon after the shootings. It struck me as a far more emotionally satisfying attitude than trying to work out why it was the will of any god and looking for some sort of heaven. But then you'd expect a humanist to think that. It did strike Portillo as worthy of comment too, though. Maybe it struck a note with others as well.....

Dave B

#16 Post by Dave B » June 14th, 2010, 10:04 pm

Alan C. I have only just taken anther look at this thread.

May I add my thoughts to you and yours over your losses.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#17 Post by Alan C. » June 14th, 2010, 10:37 pm

Dave B
May I add my thoughts to you and yours over your losses.
This is getting to be a bit embarrassing, can I just put everybody in the picture?
None of my or Mary' family were involved in this tragedy,
But.The solicitor Kevin Commons was a very long standing friend of the family (especially my mother) for whom he did a lot of probate work for no payment following the death of my sister.
I knew the farmer Garry Purdham through amature rugby league, he was a player while I was an administrator, a real nice guy who didn't deserve to be cut down at 31.
The girl wounded in the back of the taxi is an ex girlfriend of my youngest brother, she's affectionately known as mad Maggie but is a really nice lass.
And that's it really.

Neither Mary nor myself have experienced any great loss, although we do feel for those that have, and I appreciate everybody's kind words. Thanks.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Alan H

#18 Post by Alan H » June 14th, 2010, 11:11 pm

Alan

There's certainly nothing to be embarrassed about. You knew people who were killed and others who were directly affected, but we're glad it wasn't any close relatives.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Nick

#19 Post by Nick » June 14th, 2010, 11:18 pm

So dreadfully sorry to hear that you have been caused such embarrasment... Can you ever forgive us.....

:wink:

jaywhat

#20 Post by jaywhat » June 15th, 2010, 6:34 am

My fault for starting the thread but it's the thought that counts and the loss is still a loss.