INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Would you make a good UK citizen?

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Alan H

Would you make a good UK citizen?

#1 Post by Alan H » July 7th, 2009, 12:42 pm

Can you pass the UK Official Practice Citizenship test?

Some of the questions are utterly, utterly, utterly stupid!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

getreal

Re: Would you make a good UK citizen?

#2 Post by getreal » July 7th, 2009, 1:16 pm

Jeez, I only got 58%!!

Who makes these tests up? Whay are they trying to test?

A while ago my daughter and I did one of these tests (for fun). Some of the questions included how wide is the UK at it's widest part? Which is further south insert name of two insignificant english towns? What type of government does the UK have?

While my daughter and I only got about 60% right, her husband (a non UK national) scored higher.

Not sure what that says about us :D
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Paolo

#3 Post by Paolo » July 7th, 2009, 3:12 pm

11 out of 24 (46%)

All the questions were irrelevant nonsense. One of my friends recently took the test and passed, but only because she bought the test book and learned the answers. The whole test is an exercise in book selling.

This test is as pointless as half of the exams that kids have to pass as they move through school. It's box-ticking at its most cynical and banal - it might be useful for pub quizzes though.

Emma Woolgatherer

#4 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » July 7th, 2009, 3:35 pm

18 out of 24 (75%) but some lucky guesses. I agree, though. It's a stupid test. If you get the right answer to the one about when women were first allowed to divorce in the UK, for example, then you've either learned that bit of information, possibly for the purposes of the test, or you made a lucky guess. It has absolutely no bearing on your ability to be a good UK citizen. None of them does.

Emma

jdc

#5 Post by jdc » July 7th, 2009, 4:33 pm

You have failed the practice citizenship test.

Questions answered correctly: 13 out of 24 (54%)

Time taken: 02 minutes 26 seconds
So... when am I being deported then?
My Blog; Twitter.
Email: 325jdc325 (at) googlemail.com

Alan H

#6 Post by Alan H » July 7th, 2009, 4:38 pm

jdc wrote:So... when am I being deported then?
Just send me your passport, your credit cards and all other means of identification and then hand yourself into the nearest immigration office...
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

lewist

#7 Post by lewist » July 7th, 2009, 8:17 pm

Seventeen - fail. Do I care? As others have said the questions are totally pointless and without meaning.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

getreal

#8 Post by getreal » July 7th, 2009, 8:18 pm

Since so many of you have also failed, I shall wear my fail as a badge of honour!
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Lord Muck oGentry

#9 Post by Lord Muck oGentry » July 8th, 2009, 12:11 am

Which of the following does the test have greater difficulty in knowing from its arse:

a) its elbow, or
b) a hole in the ground?
What we can't say, we can't say and we can't whistle it either. — Frank Ramsey

Ron Webb

#10 Post by Ron Webb » July 8th, 2009, 12:12 am

You have passed the practice citizenship test.

Questions answered correctly: 18 out of 24 (75%)

Time taken: 08 minutes 49 seconds
:hilarity:
For the record, I was flat-out guessing on at least half of the questions. My strategy was:

(1) generally to pick the answer that would be most flattering to the British government, but
(2) rarely to pick the most extreme answer unless I was confident or unless principle 1 strongly applies.

Nick

#11 Post by Nick » July 10th, 2009, 6:53 pm

So all us Brits failed. That proves conclusively that we are British, as only sneaky foreigners would cheat by practicing beforehand.

Still, I am going to steal these questions for my next quiz. Thanks, Alan! :D

getreal

#12 Post by getreal » July 10th, 2009, 7:08 pm

I've just taken that test AGAIN and still only scored 50%. This time I checked the answers. A few of the questions are total rubbish.
It claims you cannot attend a hospital without a GPs letter (WTF is that?) unless it's an emergency. That is clearly untrue. My local hospital has a drop in hearing aid clinic which my dad uses when he has problems with his hearing aid. A nearby hospital runs a self referral physio clinic for back pain. You don't need a GPs letter for that. You just refer yourself.

It also says the contents of census are not revealed for 100 years. This is also untrue as they are available online. I used these in my work at the local NHS. HTF could you plan services if you were not allowed to know how many children/ethnic minorites/elderly people there were in the area. It was essential to local planning. http://www.scrol.gov.uk/scrol/common/home.jsp Grr...

Emma Woolgatherer

#13 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » July 10th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Nick wrote:So all us Brits failed. That proves conclusively that we are British, as only sneaky foreigners would cheat by practicing beforehand.
Ahem! I didn't fail. And I didn't cheat. And if you're such a true Brit, how come you just spelt "practising" the American way? [-X
getreal wrote:It also says the contents of census are not revealed for 100 years. This is also untrue as they are available online. I used these in my work at the local NHS. HTF could you plan services if you were not allowed to know how many children/ethnic minorites/elderly people there were in the area. It was essential to local planning. http://www.scrol.gov.uk/scrol/common/home.jsp Grr...
That's just the statistics, getreal, not the contents of the census [---][/---] the details of the individual census records themselves. I only know that because I did some family history research for my dad a few years back when I worked round the corner from the Chancery Lane Public Records Office (as it then was), and I remember being pleased when the 1890 census became available. I was able to find out where my grandparents were in 1890, and who their siblings were, and what my great-grandparents occupations were, and things like that.

Emma

getreal

#14 Post by getreal » July 11th, 2009, 12:14 am

Emma Woolgatherer wrote: , getreal, not the contents of the census [---][/---] the details of the individual census records themselves. I only know that because I did some family history research for my dad a few years back when I worked round the corner from the Chancery Lane Public Records Office (as it then was), and I remember being pleased when the 1890 census became available. I was able to find out where my grandparents were in 1890, and who their siblings were, and what my great-grandparents occupations were, and things like that.

Emma
Yeah, I'm aware of that, Emma, but the question was worded "the information from the census is kept secret for 100 years".
It's not. The information is available (almost) right away. Only personal details of individuals is kept secret for 100 years.

Emma Woolgatherer

#15 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » July 11th, 2009, 1:24 am

getreal wrote:Yeah, I'm aware of that, Emma, but the question was worded "the information from the census is kept secret for 100 years".
It's not. The information is available (almost) right away. Only personal details of individuals is kept secret for 100 years.
It was badly worded, I agree. But just to be horribly nitpicky, it was "information in the census" not "information from the census". That's still ambiguous, but it does more strongly suggest content rather than statistics. And in the alternative statement, "Information in the census is immediately available for the public to search", to me the word "search" suggests looking for particular names or addresses in the census returns themselves, rather than just accessing a range of reports and tables that summarise the data. All the same, the question should have been clearer. As should the hospital question. I wouldn't say that the questions were "total rubbish", but the answers were oversimplified. Presumably, the vast majority of people who take the test do read the book of practice questions first, so they'll have been guided to answer "correctly". It's just a memory test, really. It requires no real understanding. Which makes it pretty pointless.

Emma

Nick

#16 Post by Nick » July 11th, 2009, 10:05 am

Emma Woolgatherer wrote:
Nick wrote:So all us Brits failed. That proves conclusively that we are British, as only sneaky foreigners would cheat by practicing beforehand.
Ahem! I didn't fail. And I didn't cheat. And if you're such a true Brit, how come you just spelt "practising" the American way? [-X

Emma

Nope! You're wrong. It just proves I don't practiscscscsce spelling either. :D

getreal

#17 Post by getreal » July 11th, 2009, 4:36 pm

If we're being picky here, I think I said "a few of the questions were total rubbish" not that all the questions were. But I will give you that it was hardly a very well thought out post from me :wink:

So many of the questions were badly worded and poorly thought out.
A lot of people in Scotland (maybe even a majority) would not know any other name for the anglican church. It's hardly very big here!

The questions about a job application requiring a covering letter and...Could be your national insurance number (I have been asked for this when applying for jobs).

Nick

#18 Post by Nick » July 14th, 2009, 12:27 am

Some of the question were complete rubbish, or even wrong. Just taking getreal's example, suppose you are coming to Britain and go for a job as a fruit-picker. I scarcely think Farmer Giles will want a CV, but given that he can be prosecuted for employing illegal immigrants, and is obliged to deduct NI contributions where required to do so, producing proof of identity and knowing the NI number might be useful, don't you think?

THe rot starts right at question 1. It is not at all clear what is meant by
'In the 1980s, the largest immigrant groups were from the West Indies, Ireland, India and Pakistan.'
Do they mean only those who actually arrived in the 1980's or does it include their beloved 'communities'? Grrr!

And when my parents tried the test, the 4th option didn't even appear on the screen! Likewise, it gave "your employer" as one of the correct answers! Doh!

jaywhat

#19 Post by jaywhat » July 14th, 2009, 5:48 am

Got 17 and failed, but it was not so much the questions that bothered me as the whole idea of the bloody thing in the first place.

Nick

#20 Post by Nick » July 14th, 2009, 9:27 am

I quite agree, jaywhat. To mug up for 24 questions proves absolutely nothing.

Having said that, what questions do you think should be asked to test whether someone knew something of Britain?