INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Madelaine McCann sighted in Belgium?

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Message
Author
Nick
Posts: 11027
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 10:10 am

#21 Post by Nick » September 22nd, 2007, 10:47 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

jaywhat wrote:Saw the first episode of Torn and wonder if it will continue to be as gripping....
Or, indeed, ripping. :grin:

Moose
Posts: 716
Joined: July 8th, 2007, 12:55 pm

#22 Post by Moose » September 29th, 2007, 7:30 pm

I've never heard of it :).

This particular case seems to have gone quietish recently which I suppose is something .. the media coverage was strarting to get hysterical.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain
Time to die

EF

Maria Mac
Site Admin
Posts: 9274
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:34 pm

#23 Post by Maria Mac » September 30th, 2007, 1:14 am

jaywhat wrote:Saw the first episode of Torn and wonder if it will continue to be as gripping. 11 years pass and the missing child is found by its natural mother and ...........
Was it?

I missed the second episode - what night is it on?

User avatar
Alan C.
Posts: 10356
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 3:35 pm

#24 Post by Alan C. » December 14th, 2007, 12:45 pm

Just when you thought this had gone away.
Private Detective: Madeleine McCann Could Be Home By Christmas.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

User avatar
Oxfordrocks
Posts: 673
Joined: September 10th, 2007, 9:45 am

#25 Post by Oxfordrocks » December 14th, 2007, 1:40 pm

Just when you thought this had gone away.
Thanks for that!!!!! :yawn:
There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating staying in EU.

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of staying in the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens will be caused by leaving EU?
3. Should the supreme court ruling on British subjects be based in UK?

squiffy
Posts: 42
Joined: September 26th, 2007, 12:22 pm

#26 Post by squiffy » December 15th, 2007, 4:25 pm

There is something here every day,

http://www.anorak.co.uk/madeleine-mccann/178443.html

It's usually quite horrible.

stevenw888
Posts: 694
Joined: July 16th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Re: Madelaine McCann sighted in Belgium?

#27 Post by stevenw888 » April 25th, 2012, 6:27 pm

I see Maddy McCann is in the news again.
I have noticed something rather revealing over the last few days, while discussing the McCann case with friends. Men (when there are no women around) will say "For God's sake why doesn't Mrs McCann get over it and move on? Surely she realises that this child will never be found and it's time to move forward" (or words to this effect).
However women (or men when there are women around) will say "I quite understand that Mrs McCann will continue to fight till her dying breath for this case to be revisited/reopened/restarted, as one can never, ever get over the loss of a child."

My sympathies tend to lie with the first statement rather than the second. Is this just because I'm a man? Is it because I don't possess those maternal genes? Can a woman ever get over the loss of her child?

And please! don't let the Daily Express get started on this again! They've only recently stopped featuring it as a daily headline!
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6521
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Madelaine McCann sighted in Belgium?

#28 Post by animist » April 25th, 2012, 6:34 pm

stevenw888 wrote:I see Maddy McCann is in the news again.
I have noticed something rather revealing over the last few days, while discussing the McCann case with friends. Men (when there are no women around) will say "For God's sake why doesn't Mrs McCann get over it and move on? surely she realises that this child will never be found and it's time to move forward" (or words to this effect).
However women (or men when there are women around) will say "I quite understandf that Mrs McCann will continue to fight till her dying breath for this case to be revisited/reopened/restarted, as one can never, ever get over the loss of a child."

My sympathies tend to lie with the first statment rather than the second. Is this just because I'm a man? Is it because I don't possess those maternal genes? Can a woman ever get over the loss of her child?

And please! don't let the Daily Express get started on this again!
as Maddy might still be alive I would sympathise with the parents (whether police resources should be used on the search is another matter); if my daughter had disappeared like this I would never give up looking (of course, I am addressing a mixed audience :D )

stevenw888
Posts: 694
Joined: July 16th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Re: Madelaine McCann sighted in Belgium?

#29 Post by stevenw888 » April 26th, 2012, 10:01 am

It may be that Maddy is still alive, but by now she'd be 8 years old and living with another family, who presumably would love her, and had spent a lot of money to purchase her. She'd have no knowledge of her previous life and would (presumably) be happy and content.
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6521
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Madelaine McCann sighted in Belgium?

#30 Post by animist » April 26th, 2012, 10:35 am

stevenw888 wrote:It may be that Maddy is still alive, but by now she'd be 8 years old and living with another family, who presumably would love her, and had spent a lot of money to purchase her. She'd have no knowledge of her previous life and would (presumably) be happy and content.
I have to say that this gobsmacks me, but I won't elaborate till other people have a chance to react

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Madelaine McCann sighted in Belgium?

#31 Post by Tetenterre » April 29th, 2012, 11:53 am

I have to disagree with what Steven says. Firstly, I don't think one can make any assumptions about the current status of Madeleine McCann. Secondly, whilst I think it is obscene that, of all the children that "go missing" in this country (and don't even think about getting me started about those who get slaughtered in various conflicts and atrocities worldwide, or die from preventable diseases or malnutrition), the nation is obsessed with one very photogenic little girl and her very tenacious and pushy (objective fact, not a pejorative judgement) mother, I hope that, if it was my child or grand-child that had "gone missing" I would be equally tenacious and pushy and would not let it drop.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

stevenw888
Posts: 694
Joined: July 16th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Re: Madelaine McCann sighted in Belgium?

#32 Post by stevenw888 » April 30th, 2012, 10:07 am

Fair point Stephen, but consider the following.
Assuming Maddy McCann was abducted, she was abducted for one of three reasons.
1) Kidnap for ransom
2) Kidnap for onward selling to rich people unable to have children of their own.
or 3) Other horrible stuff that I don't wish to contemplate.

We have never heard of any ransom note being received, therefore we must assume that 1 is untrue. Let us, for argument's sake assume that no 2 might be true and that Maddy is now living in Brazil, the daughter of a wealthy couple who paid a lot of money for her. By now she will be a) totally immersed in her current life, b) fluent in Spanish (but not English) and c) have no knowledge of her former existence of her former life. Therefore, if the police find her, and go about the very difficult process of reuniting her with her biological parents, this will be an unbelievable wrench for her and one that she would be ill-equipped to deal with. It would not be in her best interests to reunite her with her biological parents. The culture shock would be massive.
If she's dead, then finding her killer is going to be a) very difficult and b) very expensive. Her abductor was not a serial baby kidnapper as we did not see an outbreak of baby kidnappings take place in the same area over the last five years. Therefore one can assume that the abductor was an opportunist. Catching an opportunist after five years strikes me as an impossible task.
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Madelaine McCann sighted in Belgium?

#33 Post by Tetenterre » April 30th, 2012, 12:02 pm

stevenw888 wrote:Fair point Stephen, but consider the following.
Assuming Maddy McCann was abducted, she was abducted for one of three reasons.
1) Kidnap for ransom
2) Kidnap for onward selling to rich people unable to have children of their own.
or 3) Other horrible stuff that I don't wish to contemplate.

We have never heard of any ransom note being received, therefore we must assume that 1 is untrue.
I agree that it is unlikely.
Let us, for argument's sake assume that no 2 might be true and that Maddy is now living in Brazil, the daughter of a wealthy couple who paid a lot of money for her. By now she will be a) totally immersed in her current life, b) fluent in Spanish (but not English) and c) have no knowledge of her former existence of her former life.
I think you underestimate what she might remember. I think that it is perfectly reasonable for her parents to keep seeking her whilst this remains a possibility. (Minor Point: I think you mean fluent in Portuguese, not Spanish)
It would not be in her best interests to reunite her with her biological parents.
I disagree.
If she's dead, then finding her killer is going to be a) very difficult and b) very expensive (...) Catching an opportunist after five years strikes me as an impossible task.
Nevertheless, if I was that parent, I would still want to know if my child was dead. The worst thing would be living with the uncertainty.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Post Reply