INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Madelaine McCann sighted in Belgium?

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Moose

Madelaine McCann sighted in Belgium?

#1 Post by Moose » August 3rd, 2007, 5:10 pm

I don't have a link cos I read this on AOL news which I don't think non AOL users can get but I just read a story that said that a woman believes (was '100% sure' actually) that she had seen Madelaine McCann with a woman and man at a restaurant in Belgium..

It would be great if this little girl were to be found safe and well but what worries me is that ... well, to me at least one little girl looks very like another and I would have thought it was easy to be mistaken. Apparently there are going to be DNA tests taken from the cup she was drinking from to try and establish whether it was her.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain
Time to die

EF

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#2 Post by Maria Mac » August 3rd, 2007, 8:10 pm

I read the story on the front page of a newspaper while I was in the supermarket and had a sense of impending doom that it would be another case of false hopes raised and dashed as happened so many times with Ben Needham and the little girls who were murdered in Soham.

:sad:

Moose

#3 Post by Moose » August 4th, 2007, 5:52 pm

It could be yes. To be honest I had the feeling, from a week or two after the disappearance, that it would be another Ben Needham and the child would never be found. That must be appalling torture .. never knowing what had happened :(
Time to die

EF

Lifelinking

#4 Post by Lifelinking » August 4th, 2007, 6:07 pm

I know nothing about this particular sighting, but I know that witnesses can be and often are terribly wrong, even when they are genuine and claim to be 100% right, in missing person cases.

Terribly sad situation.

L
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Moose

#5 Post by Moose » August 4th, 2007, 6:08 pm

Claiming to be 100% right was a mistake I think - it just raises the parents' hopes. I certainly couldn't be even 50% confident that I was not mistaken when it came to identfying a small child.
Time to die

EF

lewist

#6 Post by lewist » August 4th, 2007, 10:38 pm

A man has been charged in connection with the disappearance of Vicky Hamilton who disappeared in 1991. It does seem another young woman - Angelika Kluk - had to die before the evidence was found, but sometimes the police make progress years later.

Alan C.

#7 Post by Alan C. » September 7th, 2007, 5:31 pm

This is a turnup for the books.
Kate McCann declared a suspect.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

ranter

#8 Post by ranter » September 11th, 2007, 9:12 pm

For those who know me from a previous life- I'm not saying a word!

Lifelinking

#9 Post by Lifelinking » September 11th, 2007, 9:52 pm

I know what you mean Ranter, and think that given the ways things are developing there is probably no better nor appropriate response. I note with some dismay that much of the media coverage is still serving to generate a great deal more heat than light.

L
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Alan C.

#10 Post by Alan C. » September 11th, 2007, 10:21 pm

I felt really foolish after making that last post, you would of course have all already seen it on the news :redface:
ranter
For those who know me from a previous life- I'm not saying a word!
Hey! ranter are you just back from your hols? did you have a great time?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

ranter

#11 Post by ranter » September 12th, 2007, 8:34 am

Ranter is back with a vengeance! Had a brill holiday and yes, eaten alive.....
Getting ready for a residential project with work on the Isle of Arran next week, so it's all go. As they say- no rest for the wicked!
x

Phaedo

#12 Post by Phaedo » September 12th, 2007, 10:47 am

ranter wrote:For those who know me from a previous life- I'm not saying a word!
Impossible. -- Welcome back Ranter - you missed some fun!!!
True lovers of knowledge are temperate and brave...
Socrates

Lifelinking

#13 Post by Lifelinking » September 16th, 2007, 10:30 pm

William McIlvanney

Moose

#14 Post by Moose » September 20th, 2007, 6:54 pm

SOme of the tabloids seem to have been really going for the parents in a big way - makes me angry. Make judgements when you know the hard facts, not before. As far as I can see, they're just indulging in hysterical speculation.
Time to die

EF

Felicia

#15 Post by Felicia » September 20th, 2007, 8:18 pm

It's this awful tendency of humanity to find the only way of dealing with pain is to blame someone. Media are particularly good at this, and of course the police (so, might I add, are the mentally ill -- in fact I have come across the theory that more people blame others the more nutty they are - its about an external locus of control, the root of paranoia). I don't know whether Madeleins's parents are to blame or not, and we may never know for sure. A horrible situation for all concerned.

whitecraw
Banned

#16 Post by whitecraw » September 20th, 2007, 8:18 pm

Sells newspapers and the advertising therein, entertains... The whole affair has been a soap opera from the start.

What's the bets there will be a movie at the end of it all.

Lifelinking

#17 Post by Lifelinking » September 20th, 2007, 9:06 pm

I believe there is a TV 'movie' being screened very shortly with a very similar theme..
William McIlvanney

gcb01

#18 Post by gcb01 » September 21st, 2007, 2:27 pm

What bugs me is the never-ending stream of friends, relatives, etc. on TV news saying its ridiculous that anyone could think the parents had any involvement in her disappearance - not that these people, say that but that it is considered news. It is not, it is of the "dog bites man" type.
Regards

Campbell

jaywhat

#19 Post by jaywhat » September 22nd, 2007, 7:52 pm

Saw the first episode of Torn and wonder if it will continue to be as gripping. 11 years pass and the missing child is found by its natural mother and ...........

Nick

#20 Post by Nick » September 22nd, 2007, 10:47 pm

jaywhat wrote:Saw the first episode of Torn and wonder if it will continue to be as gripping....
Or, indeed, ripping. :grin: