INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

It's still the economy stupid - not religion

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Ted Harvey

It's still the economy stupid - not religion

#1 Post by Ted Harvey » October 9th, 2008, 11:35 am

I found this recent article in the Finacial Times remains thought-provoking. The writer says we are wrong to misconstrue 'creationism' in the USA as really about religion -it's actually about economic inequality and class (something I mostly agree with). But then he worries me that maybe humanists/agnostics are really just part of the 'technocrats' against the 'ordinary' folks. For example:
The anti-evolution activists in America’s small towns are wrong on the science – but wrong in a way that is of absolutely no consequence to them unless they choose a career in horse-breeding or molecular biochemistry. Their feelings of disenfranchisement, on the other hand, are real and consequential. Experts control an ever larger share of decisions about where roads can be built, what people can ingest, what can be taught and whether the decisions of democratic bodies pass constitutional muster. Like so much else in US public life, the battle over evolution is a class conflict disguised as a religious or moral conflict. It is comforting to look at the fight over evolution as one that pits the educated against the ignorant. It is that. But it is also a fight that pits technocrats against democrats.
Full article at:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/71e3e552-7b59 ... 07658.html

Gottard

Re: It's still the economy stupid - not religion

#2 Post by Gottard » October 20th, 2008, 3:08 pm

The columnist made some confusion; alas, sometimes journalists try to squeeze their brain in search for "thoughts" that are not always found.
Believe an economist, creationism and evolutionism have nothing to do with Economics, in the same way there is no relation between technocrats and democrats. I suspect there might have been a word misspelling.
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience