INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Graham Taylor and Satan's Grotto

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
squiffy

Graham Taylor and Satan's Grotto

#1 Post by squiffy » December 15th, 2007, 4:29 pm

Please move this if it would be better elsewhere, or if it has already been mentioned,

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/Sat ... .892117.jp

Alan C.

#2 Post by Alan C. » December 15th, 2007, 4:55 pm

Mr Taylor is author of two worldwide best-sellers on the dangers of the occult, Shadowmancer, which is to be filmed by Universal Studios, and Wormwood. He said: "The grotto is in very bad taste. Satanism is a very real thing."
:laughter:

What a great idea I wish we had one here, it would improve my shopping experience no end.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

squiffy

#3 Post by squiffy » December 15th, 2007, 5:05 pm

I'm really disappointed, I only found it today and I can't get there in time! I will keep an eye out for it next year.

Jaybird

#4 Post by Jaybird » December 16th, 2007, 12:48 pm

Mr Taylor, former Vicar of Cloughton, near Scarborough, said: "It is making a mockery of Christian celebration. If it was making mockery of Islam it would never be allowed. No on would dare do it.
"It would not be politically correct to poke fun at Muslims and Hindus. But because it is Christianity, people think they can get away with it.
I think he's right about this one.

Great idea though. :thumbsup:

Lifelinking

#5 Post by Lifelinking » December 16th, 2007, 1:22 pm

I dunno. The whole Santa thing is after all, largely non Christian (some would argue - anti Christian). As such the marketing ploy of having 'Satan's Grotto' cannot logically be seen as any kind of attack on Christianity.

If being true to the ethos of his religion surely Mr Taylor should be critical of the way that what is ostensibly a Christian festival has been taken over by so many non Christian influences. What the museum is doing is actually more an extension of that than an attack on anything. The good retired vicar's position is ill thought out.
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney