INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

What kind of brain do you have?

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Jem

#21 Post by Jem » November 2nd, 2007, 1:53 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

It's a bit fishy...

Alan C.

#22 Post by Alan C. » November 2nd, 2007, 3:11 pm

All I see is a mish-mash of colours :shrug:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#23 Post by Maria Mac » November 2nd, 2007, 4:10 pm

I see the fish (whale?) but I needed both eyes to see it.

Beki

#24 Post by Beki » November 7th, 2007, 2:10 pm

This is so cool. My dad used to have this horrible patterned wallpaper in the kitchen and I realised when I was about 8 or 9 that if I kind of relaxed my eyes and made them go fuzzy then re-focused, the wall-paper 'jumped out' about a foot. I think it is the same thing for the magic eye pictures, I don't have any problem getting the picture to jump out. Still not sure how it works though....

As for the Ballerina, she seems to go both clock-wise and anti-clockwise depending on when I start looking at it. As with others, she seems to change if I move the image into my peripheral vision and back again. Weird!

Lifelinking

#25 Post by Lifelinking » November 7th, 2007, 10:18 pm

away the lefties!

(only us corrie fisters are in our right minds....)

L
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Shake

#26 Post by Shake » November 16th, 2007, 8:09 pm

Jem wrote:It's a bit fishy...
That's what I thought.

Also, someone somewhere else said that the spinning woman automatically changes directions every so often.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#27 Post by Maria Mac » November 16th, 2007, 10:05 pm

Shake wrote: Also, someone somewhere else said that the spinning woman automatically changes directions every so often.
Nah. Alan and I have stared at the same pic of her and she does different things for each us. Just now she was changing direction every few seconds for me but stayed resolutely clockwise for Alan.

Alan H

#28 Post by Alan H » November 16th, 2007, 10:30 pm

Maria wrote:Nah. Alan and I have stared at the same pic of her and she does different things for each us. Just now she was changing direction every few seconds for me but stayed resolutely clockwise for Alan.
To prove it once and for all, we did a double-blind experiment, but we're still in the dark.

Heurismus

#29 Post by Heurismus » December 1st, 2007, 12:35 am

As to Zoe's wallpaper.

Bloody creationists get everywhere! :wink:

And as to the RH/LH Dominant side relating to any of the claimed attributes- YAWN. I'd love to know who is peer reviewing this overgeneralised 1st year dissertation and how many of them in that department see the dancer actually bending over and having a crap in the middle of the stage. (Actually I should have said; I bet they are all left handed)
The most cogent reason for restricting the interference of government is the great evil of adding unnecessarily to its power. - J.S. Mill

Jem

#30 Post by Jem » December 1st, 2007, 9:43 am

Heurismus wrote: how many of them in that department see the dancer actually bending over and having a crap in the middle of the stage.
Sorry to be pedantic but.....do girls really bend over to have a crap?

:shock:

Jings, I never knew that!

Alan H

#31 Post by Alan H » December 1st, 2007, 9:45 am

Jem wrote:do girls really bend over to have a crap?

Do girls actually crap?

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Heurismus

#32 Post by Heurismus » December 4th, 2007, 12:23 am

Jem wrote:
Heurismus wrote: how many of them in that department see the dancer actually bending over and having a crap in the middle of the stage.
Sorry to be pedantic but.....do girls really bend over to have a crap?
Alan H wrote:
Jem wrote:do girls really bend over to have a crap?
jings, I never knew that!
Do girls actually crap?
:hilarity:

Effluviate prettily then!
The most cogent reason for restricting the interference of government is the great evil of adding unnecessarily to its power. - J.S. Mill

Zeston

#33 Post by Zeston » December 17th, 2007, 4:00 am

I was watching it go clockwise and said, "well how can someone not see her going clockwise?"

Then I looked at the reflection and looked back at the figure and it was going counter-clockwise! :puzzled:

"What the hell?" I said, and started thinking it had a time-out factor.

So I sat and counted to 60. Nothing happened.

So I shrugged and thought "whatever".

and then like on cue it changed directions!!!

WTF?!!! :puzzled:

Maybe I'm "dual-brained". :)

Thomas

#34 Post by Thomas » December 17th, 2007, 12:49 pm

I doubt this has anything much to do with the sides of the brain. She switches direction every time I turn my head from side to side and back again.

I still can't get into that bloody wallpaper!

Lancaster_Daf

Re: What kind of brain do you have?

#35 Post by Lancaster_Daf » January 26th, 2008, 2:15 am

That's strange, i see it going clockwise and i can't for the life of me see it go the other way, but i have a firm left-brain personality.

Now here's where it gets interesing. When i was about 8 i got assessed for dyslexia and i seem to remember being told that for most people each side of the brain controls the opposite side of the body (the left hand is controled by the right side of the brain) but i work in reverse
(my left hand is conroled by my left hemisphere).

So who knows, maybe i am left brained, it's just that my left hemisphere is in the right side of my skull....

xman

#36 Post by xman » January 26th, 2008, 7:55 pm

She moves clockwise (bird's eye view perspective) for me which would contradict how people describe my nature, as logical and deeply contemplative. Perhaps I have been exercising my weaknesses all these years. As a result, with some concentration I can see her rotating counterclockwise for brief moments. My wife can only see her moving counterclockwise.

X
Always remember, it's your right to have a SUPER day.
If you're wrong, call me ... I'll have one for you!

Critical Thinking - http://www.skepdic.com/refuge/ctlessons.html

Don Alhambra

Re:

#37 Post by Don Alhambra » January 27th, 2008, 2:55 pm

Thomas wrote:I doubt this has anything much to do with the sides of the brain.
Thomas nails it. Left/right brained isn't really a good way of looking at this at all. They're not really dichotomous. Everyone uses all of their brain, all the time.

And: I love magic eye pictures, me. :)

Alan C.

#38 Post by Alan C. » January 31st, 2008, 10:25 pm

How smart is Your Right Foot?

Just try this. It's from an orthopedic surgeon............ This will boggle your mind and you will keep trying over and over again to see if you can outsmart your foot, but you can't. It's preprogrammed in your brain!

1. While sitting where you are at your desk in front of your computer, lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles.

2. Now, while doing this, draw the number '6' in the air with your right hand. Your foot will change direction!

I told you so!!! And there's nothing you can do about it! You and I both know how stupid it is, but before the day is done you are going to try it again,

silly but true.
I keep trying, but can't keep my foot going clockwise :cross: :puzzled:

Felicia

#39 Post by Felicia » January 31st, 2008, 10:42 pm

Alan, that is so utterly weird! WHAT is going on? Can anyone explain?

Alan H

#40 Post by Alan H » January 31st, 2008, 11:50 pm

Brilliant!

Because it's a lot easier if you use left foot/right hand or right foot/left hand or moving hand and foot in the same direction, it obviously has something to do with one side of your brain not being able to cope with your foot going in one direction and your hand in the other direction.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan C.

#41 Post by Alan C. » February 1st, 2008, 12:28 am

Felicia
Alan, that is so utterly weird! WHAT is going on? Can anyone explain?
:laughter: Brilliant! Isn't it!
The brain works in mysterious ways :shrug: