INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Gravitational Waves Detected 100 Years After Einstein’s Prediction

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan H

#1 Post by Alan H » February 11th, 2016, 6:15 pm

For the first time, scientists have observed ripples in the fabric of spacetime called gravitational waves, arriving at the earth from a cataclysmic event in the distant universe. This confirms a major prediction of Albert Einstein's 1915 general theory of relativity and opens an unprecedented new window onto the cosmos.

Gravitational waves carry information about their dramatic origins and about the nature of gravity that cannot otherwise be obtained. Physicists have concluded that the detected gravitational waves were produced during the final fraction of a second of the merger of two black holes to produce a single, more massive spinning black hole. This collision of two black holes had been predicted but never observed.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

Re: Gravitational Waves Detected 100 Years After Einstein’s Prediction

#2 Post by Dave B » February 11th, 2016, 6:32 pm

Yeah, cool, eh?

And there just happened to be a couple of black holes getting close and personal at the right time!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

John G

#3 Post by John G » February 12th, 2016, 7:24 am

I watched the new conference, live this morning.

Heady stuff. You could see how excited the scientists were. Bubbling with excitement. The signal they caught was done during an engineering run.

I have not looked into how frequent they think these events are. It felt a little like the moon landing. The science was well explained at least as to what they detected. The computational power needed to analysis these signal must be pretty amazing.

One more data point to add to Professor Einstein's theory. One physic forum I subscribe to commented on how many GUT theories have been sidelined with this discovery.

Complex science. I often wonder how much we should spend on research like this.

They did a good job with the PR.

Do scientist undersell their findings? (No wall of text this time. I'll just listen to my Senpai's.)
A good learner is forever walking the narrow path between blindness and hallucination. ― Pedro Domingos, The Master Algorithm

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » February 12th, 2016, 11:22 am

John G wrote:They did a good job with the PR.

Do scientist undersell their findings?
A frequent complaint is that some science press releases oversell the science, but this is usually hype added in by ignorant University PR departments. There is also the ever-increasing prssure on scientists to produce good results and good PR for their institution and to get the next grant. None of this helps science.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » February 12th, 2016, 11:47 am

Alan H wrote:
John G wrote:They did a good job with the PR.

Do scientist undersell their findings?
A frequent complaint is that some science press releases oversell the science, but this is usually hype added in by ignorant University PR departments. There is also the ever-increasing prssure on scientists to produce good results and good PR for their institution and to get the next grant. None of this helps science.
I am always glad when, like the srarting up of the LHC and the finding of the Higgs particle, the landing on the comet etc., these events are more like comments by the people doing the job rather than PR and media circuses involving the political masters.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

paradigm

#6 Post by paradigm » March 11th, 2016, 10:27 am

It wasn't gravity waves that were detected but shock waves from an exploding star. Gravity is caused by the absorption of emission (light) so that a gravity wave and an emission (light) wave is one and the same thing.

Space is composed of the emission of planets and stars

The curved space idea works because the emission (gravity) field of a planet or star decreases in density with the distance from the planet or star.

The ultimate proof that gravity is caused by the absorption of emission is the fact that the paradigm of types which represents all of biology also represents cosmology and the paradigm requires that gravity be caused by the absorption of emission. In other words, if you as a biological organism exist then gravity is cause by the absorption of emission.

The irrefutable science of the paradigm of types in cosmology and biology is introduced in an essay located at home.spin.net.au/paradigm/211.pdf

The science revolution that is the paradigm of types has already begun.

paradigm

Dave B

#7 Post by Dave B » March 11th, 2016, 11:11 am

Well, paradigm, from my understanding your paradigm of the Universe seems a tad wonky. ''Shock waves'', as those from an explosion on the surface of Earth say, are merely the displacement of air and the expanding volume of gas that formed the explosion, mass is involved.

There is little mass in inter-stella space and, every time energy passes from one piece of mass to another it is attentuated. Furthermore most forms of radiation are subject to the inverse-square-law, at twice the distance from the origin the radiation is a quarter of the original per square unit of area, at the same distance again again it is a sixteenth - and so on.

Surely it is the case that most forms of radiation ''travel'' in waves? Even magnetism, which can form stable, steady fields, can also be projected, though the detection of those projections are usually via an analogue, the current they generate in a conductor.

As I understand it gravity exists as a standing field, associated with mass, only - it does not propagate, it is not a form of radiation as are those energies in the electro-magnetic spectrum, we cannot make a gravity transmitter (yet). The only form of detection is the effect of gravity on a mass. Stand still long enough and dust motes in the air will be attracted to your personal gravity field (but the thermal convection currents of your body will probably prevent most of them settling , any electro-static differential will also have an effect - likes repelling :) )

But should a large stells mass loose its cohesion, as in a nova, what happens to its gravity? Is that field cast loose or does it simply cease to exist? The explosion of a nova overcomes its own gravity field to eject its mass into the surrounding space, with that mass goes the gravity, spreading out at an incredible speed. But getting more diffuse every meter it travels. But that still ties gravity to mass in the thinking so far.

What happens when two large masses, as in black holes, collide? Do they simply form a larger gravitic bubble, a deeper well in time-space, or is there a resultant ''explosion'' that causes the gravity field to ''ripple'', transmit its effect (since (so far as we kinow) it has no mass in itself) over a huge expanse of space-time?

The Moon exerts a gravitational effect on the Earth, causing the tides mainly. Its own ''light'' is merely that shining on its surface from the Sun. So where is the link between radiated energy and gravity there? It is, surely, only the mass-distance that matters and the field is steady, not radiating.

Not offering answers here, just asking those questions that form in my mind. I am a mere layman in this fascinating field.
Me, 2015

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B » March 12th, 2016, 8:45 pm

Me, 2015