INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Cortisol and brain damage in children

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
getreal

Cortisol and brain damage in children

#1 Postby getreal » April 28th, 2015, 8:45 am

I was at a seminar at the weekend given by Turid Rugaas a Norwegian dog trainer who has been at the forefront of understanding dog body langage and what she has called "calming signals". There is no doubt she has contributed in a very positive way to the understanding of dog behaviour. I have read a number of her books and, as you may imagine, I was really excited to be hearing her speak.

However, she appeared to make a number of claims which she couldn't really substantiate (when asked for evidence of one claim she made, she said she didn't have time to read all the research and instead had phones Karen Overall- who is an academic who studies dog behaviour and is world renowned- to ask for info.
The claim which raised my skeptic hackles was that "cortisol kills brain cells in puppies" and the inference that all raised cortisol levels are bad. Then I remembered my daughter got into arguments with some crunchy mums over this same subject which seemed to be related to a study done a few years ago (the mums claimed children should never be allowed to cry as it caused brain damage).

Does anyone have any more info/views/comments on this subject?

http://mindhacks.com/2010/05/11/dont-th ... -cortisol/
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

getreal

Re: Cortisol and brain damage in children

#2 Postby getreal » April 28th, 2015, 8:48 am

getreal wrote:I was at a seminar at the weekend given by Turid Rugaas a Norwegian dog trainer who has been at the forefront of understanding dog body langage and what she has called "calming signals". There is no doubt she has contributed in a very positive way to the understanding of dog behaviour. I have read a number of her books and, as you may imagine, I was really excited to be hearing her speak.

However, she appeared to make a number of claims which she couldn't really substantiate (when asked for evidence of one claim she made, she said she didn't have time to read all the research and instead had phones Karen Overall- who is an academic who studies dog behaviour and is world renowned- to ask for info.
The claim which raised my skeptic hackles was that "cortisol kills brain cells in puppies" and the inference that all raised cortisol levels are bad. Then I remembered my daughter got into arguments with some crunchy mums over this same subject which seemed to be related to a study done a few years ago (the mums claimed children should never be allowed to cry as it caused brain damage).

Does anyone have any more info/views/comments on this subject?

http://mindhacks.com/2010/05/11/dont-th ... -cortisol/

This may be the original piece of work which sparked the chatter

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... nnectivity
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Return to “Sciences and pseudo-science”