INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Atomic Structures and Isotopes

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Sel

Atomic Structures and Isotopes

#1 Post by Sel » April 26th, 2014, 12:14 pm

I mentioned a poem my late husband wrote to give an overview of "Atomic Structures and Isotopes". Dave has encouraged me to post it.

It is attached, I hope, as a pdf file.

The poem was presented as a lecture at his high school, Bishop Carroll. This was an individual study high school with no formal classes.(That has been modified somewhat, of late) Once a year the science teachers would present a fun lecture for general interest. Joe gave this lecture every three years. I found eight rewrites of this poem as he kept up with the science as it developed. This last one is probably from about 1998.

There were slides to accompany this lecture but I have not found them.

This is quite long! Enjoy and try not to read it in a sing-song manner. LOL
Attachments
Atomic Structure and Isotopes-word.pdf
(97.49 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

Dave B

Re: Atomic Structures and Isotopes

#2 Post by Dave B » April 26th, 2014, 12:37 pm

Have only read page one and love it already!

Had to try hard not to "rap" it in my mind though . . .

Thanks, {{Sel}}.

And :notworthy: to Joe's memory.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Compassionist

#3 Post by Compassionist » April 26th, 2014, 10:05 pm

Sel wrote:I mentioned a poem my late husband wrote to give an overview of "Atomic Structures and Isotopes". Dave has encouraged me to post it.

It is attached, I hope, as a pdf file.

The poem was presented as a lecture at his high school, Bishop Carroll. This was an individual study high school with no formal classes.(That has been modified somewhat, of late) Once a year the science teachers would present a fun lecture for general interest. Joe gave this lecture every three years. I found eight rewrites of this poem as he kept up with the science as it developed. This last one is probably from about 1998.

There were slides to accompany this lecture but I have not found them.

This is quite long! Enjoy and try not to read it in a sing-song manner. LOL
I loved the poem. Thank you ever so much for sharing it with us. I am very impressed. If your husband wrote more poems you might like to publish them as an anthology.

Sel

#4 Post by Sel » April 26th, 2014, 10:43 pm

Dave: The first editions were written well before rap; but, I have to admit the cadence lends itself readily to a rap rhythm. Glad you enjoyed it.

Compassionist: Joe wrote many poems but most are for specific situations - a retirement, a 40th birthday, one totally disrespectful ordination poem, and 100's of Limericks for and about his fellow teachers and school administration!

He would have appreciated the compliments.
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

lewist

#5 Post by lewist » April 27th, 2014, 10:37 am

It's good, Sel. It's also good that you have posted it in his memory.

{{{Sel}}}
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Compassionist

#6 Post by Compassionist » April 27th, 2014, 10:14 pm

Sel wrote:Dave: The first editions were written well before rap; but, I have to admit the cadence lends itself readily to a rap rhythm. Glad you enjoyed it.

Compassionist: Joe wrote many poems but most are for specific situations - a retirement, a 40th birthday, one totally disrespectful ordination poem, and 100's of Limericks for and about his fellow teachers and school administration!

He would have appreciated the compliments.
Sounds like you have the opportunity to publish his collected works. http://www.lulu.com is good for self-publishing.