INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Homeopathy

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan H

Re: Homeopathy

#601 Postby Alan H » August 15th, 2010, 11:42 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

And another:

Reality Is My Religion · I applied to be a homeopath

I found NHS Tayside on Twitter, so they have a few choice tweets waiting for them in the morning! :D
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#602 Postby Alan H » August 15th, 2010, 11:51 pm

And another!

Bad Reason: Job Application for Speciality Doctor in Homoeopathy

I'll consolidate the list some time...
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

lewist

#603 Postby lewist » August 16th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Alan H wrote:And another!

Bad Reason: Job Application for Speciality Doctor in Homoeopathy

I'll consolidate the list some time...

And here's the first comment from a pal of ours!

2 comments:

Dr. Nancy Malik said...

Real is scientific homeopathy. It cures even when Conventional conventional Medicine (CAM) fails. Nano doses of evidence-based modern homeopathy medicine brings big results for everyone
August 16, 2010 8:29 AM
Will she apply? She'd be a strong candidate, surely? :hilarity:
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#604 Postby Alan H » August 16th, 2010, 11:40 pm

Competition in the job war intensifies:

My Contribution to the Dundee Comedy Festival
Alan Henness

Alan H

#605 Postby Alan H » August 17th, 2010, 12:35 pm

Alan Henness

Alan H

#606 Postby Alan H » August 17th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Alan Henness

Alan H

#607 Postby Alan H » August 17th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Alan Henness

Fia

#608 Postby Fia » August 17th, 2010, 7:21 pm

Wow, fun reading today :smile:. The blogosphere resounds with scepticism, humour, creativity whilst making a very good point :thumbsup:

Although we cannot be the flies on the wall we would all like to be, it must be a very interesting meeting which considers the applications :D

I also wonder if it would be worth sending a link to this part of the thread on... From the Dundee and Perth locals to further afield...? Even those who would use homoeopathy might well baulk at the cost.
NHS Tayside might even be shamed into doing the rational thing or forced to substantiate their need to employ a Dr of Woo.
Or even employ one of the good applicants who have applied. They could take their expenses, do a bit of education twice a week and give the rest back to NHS Tayside to undertake real medicine...

Nick

#609 Postby Nick » August 17th, 2010, 8:09 pm

:laughter: I feel deprived, not having been spammed by "Dr." Nancy. :cross:

I'm off to prepare my application now! :exit:

getreal

#610 Postby getreal » August 17th, 2010, 10:26 pm

Dr of Woo.

Ooo! Dr Woo!!

Sorry. That seemed funnier in my head...
Attachments
dr who too.jpg
dr who too.jpg (41.33 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

kevinbradshaw

#611 Postby kevinbradshaw » August 17th, 2010, 10:32 pm

@Nick
:pointlaugh: lol, I got spammed by the good doc Nancy!
I'm sure she'll get 'round to you :wink:

Alan H

#612 Postby Alan H » August 17th, 2010, 10:48 pm

I decided to write a blog post about the homeopathic 'doctor' job:

NHS Tayside want to employ a new doctor
Alan Henness

Nick

#613 Postby Nick » August 18th, 2010, 12:56 am

Here's my application:

Please find herewith my application for Specialty Doctor in Homeopathic Medicine at the Clinic in Dundee. This is most heroic of me, as I realise that 2 sessions per week is really more than the human body can cope with, but I’m prepared to make that sacrifice for NHS patients.

On the other hand, as no self-respecting GP or Hospital Consultant (not even in Tayside and Fife) would ever dream of committing professional suicide, after all those years of study and training, by referring any patient to a quack, it can’t be so arduous after all, as there should be nothing to do.

Though this is the first I have ever heard of the Faculty of Homeopathy, I do not think I would have any difficulty in becoming a member, as I do not see how it would be possible to discern any improvement or deterioration in any patient of mine attributable to the application of homeopathic remedies. This should ensure minimum side effects and hence very low compensation payouts to bereaved relatives.

Outpatient sessions sound OK to me, as any patient needing any real treatment should sure as hell not be an in-patient. Likewise, auditing the service should not be a problem, as it can clearly be seen, even by the most ignorant auditor, that the service provides no discernable medical benefit whatsoever. So long as I state that in every audit, I can’t see where I can go wrong.

I must admit, however, I am a little mystified by the concept of CPD. After all, homeopathy can hardly be called a profession, can it? And development implies some sort of expansion- surely not what is required in improving the Health Service and its patients. And as for ‘continued’.... well I’m assuming that’s just been inserted to catch out the unwary applicant (not me!). Obviously one would not want to continue it would you?

Likewise, I’m sure I’ll find the post-grad supervision a breeze. So long as they confirm that all the homeopathic treatment has no discernable benefit beyond placebo, they will be doing OK.

Now I realise I have hitherto been modest about my own abilities and experience, but now is the time to lay out my stall. My entire adult life has been dedicated to the homeopathic way of life. Once upon a time, I half read a bit of a medical text-book. This made me feel quite poorly. Conducting my own original research, I found that lack of alcohol had a similar effect. For the last 30-odd years, therefore, I have been diluting sobriety on a daily and exponential basis, not forgetting that succession has been provided by many willing bouncers, angry boyfriends (not mine, of course) and burly police officers of various ranks, who presumably have appreciated the finer points of homeopathy.

There, now. I’m done. I realise that rather knocks the stuffing out of the other applicants’ rather feeble efforts. For them it must be like submitting a first class paper and finding the other candidates have submitted a paper worth a Starred First, Cum Laude. Still, such is life. Only the best is good enough for Tayside and Fife, and it saves you having to look through the pile of dross I’m sure you’ve received.

You’ll forgive me if I take the money in an undiluted form. Won’t you? I think, as your resident expert, I would be the one best suited to dissipating it throughout the economy, don’t you think? If you’re shy about replying and confirming the appointment, don’t worry. I understand. I’ll just show up on the day, and let HR have my bank details during a quiet patch.

Now then, just whereabouts is Dundee.......?

Alan H

#614 Postby Alan H » August 18th, 2010, 1:23 am

:pointlaugh: Added to my blog post.
Alan Henness

Aphra

#615 Postby Aphra » August 18th, 2010, 1:27 am

Excellent. If it was up to me, you'd get the job. Or maybe Dean should get it. It's so hard to choose, I've come over all peculiar and may need some restorative homeopathy. Is it OK if I dilute it with gin?

MikeHypercube

#616 Postby MikeHypercube » August 18th, 2010, 1:35 am

I would imagine that not being a paid up member of the Faculty of Homeopathy or whatever it is, would not be a problem. All the prospective applicant needs to do is walk past their headquarters and succuss themselves vigorously.

Mike
----
Mike

lewist

#617 Postby lewist » August 18th, 2010, 8:49 am

Aphra wrote:Excellent. If it was up to me, you'd get the job. Or maybe Dean should get it. It's so hard to choose, I've come over all peculiar and may need some restorative homeopathy. Is it OK if I dilute it with gin?
Of course that's ok, Aphra, providing you succuss it with a lime and some homeopathic ice.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Mojo

#618 Postby Mojo » August 18th, 2010, 11:05 am

Nick wrote:Here's my application:

Though this is the first I have ever heard of the Faculty of Homeopathy, I do not think I would have any difficulty in becoming a member...

You need to be a "statutorily registered healthcare professional" for full or associate membership, although they do include osteopaths in that definition. For full membership you have to pass an exam. Possibly not as rigorous as the judging exams, although homoeopaths do like to use Latin names to make their remedies look more sciency. Excrementum can looks so much more medicinal than the English translation, for example.

Alan H

#619 Postby Alan H » August 19th, 2010, 12:34 am

Hi Mojo! Good to see you here.

I don't think I've seen that Peter Cook sketch before, but it's brilliant!
Alan Henness

Emma Woolgatherer

#620 Postby Emma Woolgatherer » August 19th, 2010, 3:20 pm

In today's Pulse: Ten PCTs pull NHS funding for homeopathy
A prescribing advisory group covering ten PCTs has stepped in to prevent commissioners from funding homeopathic treatments, claiming the effects are not significant enough to warrant NHS cash ...

The Greater Manchester Medicines Management Group (GMMMG) has told PCTs and commissioners across the region that homeopathic treatments cannot be recommended, as an independent review commissioned by another trust, NHS West Kent, found they are neither clinically nor cost effective.

Tim Evans, chair of the GMMMG and chief executive of NHS Bolton, told Pulse he was keen not to appear to be wasting NHS resources.

:dance:

Alan H

#621 Postby Alan H » August 20th, 2010, 12:19 am

This is excellent news!
Alan Henness

Return to “Sciences and pseudo-science”