INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Homeopathy

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Dave B

Re: Homeopathy

#881 Post by Dave B » January 3rd, 2012, 8:53 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Took a Google at this, Nick, but could find no recent refs - stuff about unis dropping homoeopathy courses over the last few years but . . .

Perhaps it is a matter of attrition, the practice has come in for so much of a slagging from the scientific community recently that I would think unis are a bit embarrassed to promote it.

Now, can we manage the same for all kinds of woo, theology for example?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#882 Post by Alan H » January 3rd, 2012, 11:05 am

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#883 Post by Alan H » January 3rd, 2012, 12:06 pm

Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Nick

#884 Post by Nick » January 3rd, 2012, 4:25 pm

That's probably the one that Today was citing- thanks Alan.

getreal

#885 Post by getreal » January 3rd, 2012, 6:21 pm

:clap:

Great! Let's hope the trend continues. The continued use of homeopathic clinics within the NHS legitimises their witch craft. Lets hope 2012 is the year the NHS starts to dismantle this medieval "treatment".
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#886 Post by Alan H » January 5th, 2012, 1:01 am

I love it when you call me Big Pharma

I don't usually like rap, but this is good. What is sad is that there are so many quacks out there who really do seem to believe that Big Pharma pay the like of us big bucks to attack quackery. They just can't grasp that some of just don't like seeing other being ripped off and defrauded by quackery.
Alan Henness

Val

#887 Post by Val » January 15th, 2012, 7:36 pm

Did you hear about the homeopath who overdosed last week? He did not take his pills.

Alan H

#888 Post by Alan H » January 20th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Homeopath to start offering ‘assisted-suicide’ remedy

A homeopath in Banbury has decided to take politics into her own hands and start offering an assisted-suicide treatment. The service will be offered to those with terminal illnesses where traditional homeopathic treatments have not worked. The number of eligible people is thought to be high.

The practitioner, who goes by the name Chi Wind-Chime, explained that the ‘remedy’ used has been through the emotional turmoil of death, which is then remembered, and injected into the patient. ‘We take our special ‘faucet hydrogen dioxide’ formula to a funeral, where it is surrounded by mourning people. This emotional experience of someone passing is remembered by the special solution. We take this back to my ‘living room laboratory’ where it is diluted with more of the original solution to create a remedy that is so weak its strength is lethal.’

‘When the time comes, a family member can inject the patient, then wait for the treatment to work,’ Ms Wind-Chime continued. ‘The ‘passing room’ is painted lilac and we play whale song to create an atmosphere that is relaxed and peaceful, which is just as well because the effects of treatments on the terminally ill can take up to two years.’

Brenda Roberts took her mother to the homeopath to assist her in ending her life, but was not happy with the results. ‘She had got to a point where her quality of life was not what we wanted, so we convinced her that life was not worth living. So for her 50th birthday we all chipped in and paid for her trip to Ms Wind-Chime and she went through the treatment. That was 4 years ago and we are still waiting for her to keel over.’

Scientists have studied the claims made by the homeopathic community that this treatment works. But as Professor Brown, from the Department of Real Life, Oxford University said, ‘more people died on the toilet last year than died from this treatment’. He went on to explain: ‘Although those who practise alternative medicine will stand by their claims, we found through extensive research, testing, and common sense, that death rates amongst the terminally ill are already quite high’.

But Ms Wind-Chime brushed the criticism off her velvet coat and explained: ‘Those in the business of scientific fact don’t understand the remedy or how it works. In fact, as proof of its effectiveness, last week a man came in having a heart attack. The remedy was so good that he died before we could administer it.’
Spoiler:
It's a spoof, of course...you all did realise that, didn't you?

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2012/01/19/h ... de-remedy/
Alan Henness

Alan H

#889 Post by Alan H » February 13th, 2012, 10:46 pm

Ha ha! Anarchic Teapot has been at it again.

Homeopathy FAQ
Alan Henness

anarchic-teapot

#890 Post by anarchic-teapot » February 15th, 2012, 10:13 am

Alan H wrote:Ha ha! Anarchic Teapot has been at it again.
At it, at it... They were begging for it. Getting a fair amount of people arriving from Facebook and Yahoo/Google mail, so I must be annoying somebody in the quackiverse.

I'm debating whether or not to pillory this: Milk in homeopathy, a spiritual perspective. Outstanding dumbitude. Your thoughts?

Alan H

#891 Post by Alan H » February 15th, 2012, 11:14 am

anarchic-teapot wrote:I'm debating whether or not to pillory this: Milk in homeopathy, a spiritual perspective. Outstanding dumbitude. Your thoughts?
What kind of homeopathic brain comes up with the following:
I recently prescribed lac felinum to a patient who had an emotionally absent mother and only remembers her relationship with her cat.
Love this and the response it got!
Thanks so much for the wonderful article! - a great contribution in the dynamic legacy of Hahnemann toward "romancing the stone", i.e., discerning the Mind above Nature (Coleridge) and the essence (Wesen) of dynamic substances for the remediation (Heilkunst) of humankind. Hahnemann clairvoyantly discerned spirit in nature, and as a principled scientist, he gave us the key to our exodus from the Old School conventional state of mind - the one-eyed, colorblind "onlooker consciousness" of the intellect. That key is to fully participate nature (provings), participate patients (discernment of disease), and participate the resonance between them (remediation). If we can do that, says Hahnemann, we partipate in the true remedial art of wholing - Heilkunst.
Alan Henness

getreal

#892 Post by getreal » February 16th, 2012, 11:56 pm

I have just been on to my pet insurance (PetPlan) to check if they will pay for hydrotherapy (swimming in a pool with a real physio who has done extra vet training-but she's not a vet). Yes they said. Providing it's vet referred. It will be limited to 10 sessions and will incur a £75 excess (even though I've paid the excess this year already for his arthritis).

Sounds fine. Untill she told me this:

PetPlan will pay for the following complimentary therapies: hydrotherapy,homeopathy, acupuncture, chiropractic and osteopathy. HOWEVER, hydrotherapy is limites to 10 treatments over the life of the dog, while you can claim £1000 a year (every year!) for the other junk. WTF!! Where is the logic in that? the ONLY therapy which has a scientific basis is the only one they limit!

I shall be contacting them post haste*

*where does that phrase come from anyway?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#893 Post by Alan H » February 17th, 2012, 12:53 am

getreal wrote:I shall be contacting them post haste*

*where does that phrase come from anyway?
Interesting...
Etymology

From the former instruction on letters "haste, post, haste," later reinterpreted as a compound of post + haste.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#894 Post by Alan H » February 17th, 2012, 12:53 pm

Anyone who argues with quacks regularly quickly comes across the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Here is it brilliantly explained by John Cleese.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#895 Post by Dave B » February 17th, 2012, 4:12 pm

John's closing comment was the best of the lot IMHO :hilarity:
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#896 Post by Alan C. » February 17th, 2012, 5:49 pm

getreal
PetPlan will pay for the following complimentary therapies: hydrotherapy,homeopathy, acupuncture, chiropractic and osteopathy. HOWEVER, hydrotherapy is limites to 10 treatments over the life of the dog, while you can claim £1000 a year (every year!) for the other junk. WTF!! Where is the logic in that? the ONLY therapy which has a scientific basis is the only one they limit!
Pet insurance has far too many get out clauses, which is why we've never had it.
Having said that though, we could have probably saved almost £1,000 in Vet bills (two major incidents that they couldn't have wriggled out of) over the past two years, had we had it.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Dave B

#897 Post by Dave B » February 17th, 2012, 6:07 pm

But how much would it have cost you in premiums, Alan? OT but I am still up on the deal after refusing to take out dental insurance eight years ago when my dentist went private, preferring to "pay-as-you-go". Even a cap would not put me in the negative on this at the moment. Find out what the premiums are and put that money in an interest earning account with the dog's name on it!
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#898 Post by Alan C. » February 17th, 2012, 7:22 pm

But how much would it have cost you in premiums, Alan?
I've no idea Dave but surely less than £500 a year, getreal will know what the premiums and "voluntary" excesses are.
OT but I am still up on the deal after refusing to take out dental insurance eight years ago when my dentist went private, preferring to "pay-as-you-go". Even a cap would not put me in the negative on this at the moment.
Don't get me started on dental treatment! Everybody should have access to free (at point of delivery) dental treatment on the NHS.
Find out what the premiums are and put that money in an interest earning account with the dog's name on it!
Well I suppose we sort of do that now, only the account is shared by myself, Mary and the dog.
I use a computer program to track our finances/expenditure, so if I want to I can look back over ten years or more and see exactly what's been spent on what.

lewist

#899 Post by lewist » February 17th, 2012, 8:57 pm

Alan C. wrote:...only the account is shared by myself, Mary and the dog...
So how does Toby sign when he makes withdrawals, Alan? Pawprint? :laughter:
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan C.

#900 Post by Alan C. » February 17th, 2012, 11:20 pm

lewist wrote:
Alan C. wrote:...only the account is shared by myself, Mary and the dog...
So how does Toby sign when he makes withdrawals, Alan? Pawprint? :laughter:
Have you never seen that horse that can tap out numbers with it's hoof? Toby doesn't need to sign as he has our PIN No, although he hasn't seen fit to use it as yet, he trusts me to pay the bills :D

Alan H

#901 Post by Alan H » February 18th, 2012, 1:09 am

Alan C. wrote:Have you never seen that horse that can tap out numbers with it's hoof? Toby doesn't need to sign as he has our PIN No, although he hasn't seen fit to use it as yet, he trusts me to pay the bills :D
Very sensible...
Alan Henness