INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Air car

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan C.

Air car

#1 Postby Alan C. » September 19th, 2007, 9:41 pm

The car that runs on compressed air.
Could this bring an end to the wars over oil?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Lifelinking

#2 Postby Lifelinking » September 19th, 2007, 9:59 pm

Interesting stuff Alan. The commute in and out of the city would be so much nicer without all those fumes.
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Fred

Re: Air car

#3 Postby Fred » September 20th, 2007, 8:34 am

Alan C. wrote:The car that runs on compressed air.

Not until there are alternative energy sources for compressing the air and manufacturing the cars. It does look to be a great step in the right direction though.
Fred

Tom Rees

#4 Postby Tom Rees » September 20th, 2007, 10:03 am

Alan C. wrote:The car that runs on compressed air.

I've been following news on the air car on and off for the past few years. It hasn't really progressed - until the news from TATA in the summer.

The basic problem, according to critics, is that the energy density of compressed air is simply too low. As a result, the car can't be built solid enough to meet safety standards.

From reading around, it seems that TATA has bought into the technology with a view to developing a hybrid engine (perhaps natural gas/compressed air) for the Indian market - to meet anticipated changes in regulations (to clean up urban air). The critics say this is an option in India because safety standards are lower...

Alan C.

#5 Postby Alan C. » September 20th, 2007, 11:22 am

Tom Rees
The basic problem, according to critics, is that the energy density of compressed air is simply too low. As a result, the car can't be built solid enough to meet safety standards.
That's not the impression I got from watching the video, the guy doing the test drive said the car would be available in Europe some time next year.

Tom Rees

#6 Postby Tom Rees » September 20th, 2007, 12:25 pm

Alan C. wrote:That's not the impression I got from watching the video, the guy doing the test drive said the car would be available in Europe some time next year.

They've been saying similar things every year since 2000 :sad: And there's nothing on the air car or MDI websites.

But there does seem to be something in the air at the moment. The Air Car website has been updated after lying dormant for a couple of years. There was a brief report in Popular Mechanics saying they'd be available in India as of August 2008. But I can't find any confirmation on the TATA or air car websites.

Alan C.

#7 Postby Alan C. » September 22nd, 2007, 5:01 pm

Ok, if the Air car isn't yet viable, how about the car that runs on water? Sorry it's a poor quality video but still worth watching.

Tom Rees

#8 Postby Tom Rees » September 22nd, 2007, 8:21 pm

Alan C. wrote:Ok, if the Air car isn't yet viable, how about the car that runs on water? Sorry it's a poor quality video but still worth watching.

A perpetual energy machine! :thumbsup:

Alan C.

#9 Postby Alan C. » September 27th, 2007, 4:18 pm

I can't believe I forgot to mention this earlier :redface:
Yet this, the only road-licensed hydrogen fuel cell car on Britain’s roads, is the evidence of a quiet energy revolution being led by a company with its roots in a small community project
This car was developed on Unst our most northerly Island, and was put on the road early last year.
Read the article here.
But for the first time in Britain, wind power is being used directly to create fuel cells and Pure’s Sandy Macaulay is the man who captured the wind. “We have this incredible wind resource,” he said. “The British average load factor of wind power [the proportion of time in which a turbine is operating at its peak] is 29%, and here we get 51%, which put us in the Guinness Book Of Records.”

gcb01

#10 Postby gcb01 » September 27th, 2007, 7:40 pm

What about a car that runs on fart gas? Then I could connect my children to it and drive for free.
Regards

Campbell

Alan C.

#11 Postby Alan C. » September 27th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Too late to edit :cross: so I'll add here, the guy that developed the car mysteriously disappeared last October, and hasn't been heard of since.
See here

Tom Rees

#12 Postby Tom Rees » September 28th, 2007, 9:20 am

Alan C. wrote:Too late to edit :cross: so I'll add here, the guy that developed the car mysteriously disappeared last October, and hasn't been heard of since.

He's still listed as a Director at their website. So perhaps they found him?

Alan C.

#13 Postby Alan C. » September 28th, 2007, 11:35 am

Nope! this is from today's paper [url=http://www.shetlandtoday.co.uk/Shetlandtimes/content_details.asp?ContentID=23742]26 September 2007
Police urge public to come forward with information on missing man Sandy Macaulay[/url]

Alan C.

#14 Postby Alan C. » February 20th, 2008, 4:20 pm

I'll resurrect this thread with two links, first regarding the Unst guy who disapeared after developing the hydrogen cell, Sandy Macaulay

And the latest on the Air car.
Forget biofuel, try a car that runs on air.
It looks like it could soon be a reality.

Alan C.

#15 Postby Alan C. » June 9th, 2010, 7:48 pm

Christ! I can hardly believe this thread is nearly two and a half years old.
This is a short video of Unst and a very short bit at the begining showing the Hydrogen powered car and explaining it's carbon neutrality.
I wonder why the idea hasn't taken off?

Fia

#16 Postby Fia » June 9th, 2010, 10:22 pm

I can't believe I missed this thread until Alan bumped it :redface:
This is a short video of Unst ...

59 minutes short? Time does clearly go at a different pace up there :)

However, I'll be delighted to watch the absolutely gorgeous Neil Oliver when I have more time, and Unst too... if it wasn't so damn remote it would be my first choice of places to live...

There certainly seems to be something very unsettling about Sandy Macaulay's demise...

getreal

#17 Postby getreal » June 9th, 2010, 10:49 pm

Ooooh! Neil Oliver!!
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan C.

#18 Postby Alan C. » June 10th, 2010, 4:10 pm

Fia
59 minutes short? Time does clearly go at a different pace up there :)
:puzzled: The video I watched (and thought I'd linked to) was only 10 minutes, I'll have another look at the link and see if I can get the full hour.

Dave B

#19 Postby Dave B » June 10th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Interesting idea, basically a jumped up steam engine! You can't get free energy, you can only convert it (inefficiently no matter how hard you try - an application of the first law of thermodynamics applies.

So, if it takes x kW to move any given mass a certain distance you have to put at least that amount into the system first. Most current systems, globally, of generating electricity still burn fossil fuels. Wonder if this car's total pollution cost, assuming electricity is used to compress the air, is actually reduced, without using renewable energy only.

OK, if you have totally renewable energy (after deducting all the energy needed in making the renewable energy; like mining the materials, processing them, transport, manufacturing, transport, construction, servicing, disposal etc.) you might get some advantage.

It would be interesting to see a direct comparison to an electrical (mains rechargeable) vehicle, a steam vehicle, an air driven vehicle, fuel cell type etc. all of identical body/steering design and weight. Just the drive system changed.

However, if, as claimed, the system, as a petrol/air hybrid, can cover a given distance, carrying the same load, as a petrol only car but with a fraction of the petrol used, that is a gain. But I would like to see the details of that sort of trip and I emphasise that it would have to be under directly comparable conditions of load etc.

I would go for a wood fuelled steam car myself, with the fuel delivered by horse and cart! Just have to get up early to stoke up the boiler and get a head of steam ready to go to work or do the shopping. I think it was the Stanley Steamer that broke the hundred miles an hour road record. :wink:
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#20 Postby Alan C. » June 10th, 2010, 4:25 pm

Dave B, the electricity is generated using a wind turbine and plain old tap water is used to produce the hydrogen.
Watch the video I linked to.

Return to “Sciences and pseudo-science”