INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

The Geek Manifesto

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan H

The Geek Manifesto

#1 Post by Alan H » May 11th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Mark Henderson was science editor at The Times until the start of this year when he moved the the Wellcome Trust as Head of Communications. His latest book has just been published and is available at any good online or offline bookshop...

It's titled The Geek Manifesto: Why science matters

Review
With over a decade of experience as the science correspondent for the Times, Henderson has seen it all. Today science is enjoying unprecedented coverage in the media and recognition in popular culture. Here is the account of how and why this has happened, how science works and how it is perceived, warts and all.. Fascinating stuff. --Jim Al-Khalili

In this timely and important book, Mark Henderson explains why Geeks are on the march - and why the world will become a better place as a result.

--Tim Harford

Mark Henderson's new book shows that CP Snow's 'Two Cultures' are still all too apparent in today's society, and also charts the frustrating tussle for power between forces of irrationality and the rational over recent years. Henderson advances a compelling argument that we shouldn't be ashamed of rational thinking, but instead, we need to recognise and embrace the importance of science in our politics, education, economy and culture. --Professor Alice Roberts
Book Description
One of Britain's leading science communicators makes an agenda-setting argument that scientific evidence is crucial to all aspects of public life with a rallying call to all geeks and wannabe geeks to take action.
Yours truly gets a mention on page 4 no less and the Nightingale Collaboration gets a couple of mentions later on (and both Maria and I have our own entries in the index!).

I've not bought it yet, but Mark is at Westminster Skeptics in the Pub on Monday so I'll get one then - it looks like a great read!

Mark also has a column in today's Guardian:

We need an Office for Scientific Responsibility
Politics doesn't value evidence-based policy, but policy-based evidence. It's time for ministers to realise that science matters
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

getreal

Re: The Geek Manifesto

#2 Post by getreal » May 12th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Ooops! I must try to read more carefully. I thought this said "Greek". An understandable mistake, I would have thought in the current economic climate. However, I shall certainly read the link.

Aw! Link not available.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#3 Post by Alan H » May 12th, 2012, 4:54 pm

:laughter:
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » May 12th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Yeah, I read the "r" into it as well! :redface:
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#5 Post by Alan H » May 12th, 2012, 6:08 pm

getreal wrote:Aw! Link not available.
Odd. I've asked Mark about it.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#6 Post by Dave B » May 12th, 2012, 6:41 pm

Both links work for me.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » May 12th, 2012, 7:01 pm

The Guardian still isn't working for me, but the same article on their mobile site is still there.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B » May 12th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Oooer, when I click on it now I get
We need an Office for Scientific Responsibility

Politics doesn't value evidence-based policy, but policy-based evidence. It's time for ministers to realise that science matters

This content has been removed as our copyright has expired.
Strange.
Me, 2015

Boxertwin

#9 Post by Boxertwin » May 13th, 2012, 12:20 am

It's in the Kindle store too, just downloading a sample first to try it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Geek-Manife ... 763&sr=1-1
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"

Charles Dickens

Cathy

#10 Post by Cathy » May 13th, 2012, 10:12 pm

Alan H wrote:Mark Henderson was science editor at The Times until the start of this year when he moved the the Wellcome Trust as Head of Communications. His latest book has just been published and is available at any good online or offline bookshop...

That sounds a useful book to have around, with a very important message.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Alan C.

#11 Post by Alan C. » May 13th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Cathy wrote:
Alan H wrote:Mark Henderson was science editor at The Times until the start of this year when he moved the the Wellcome Trust as Head of Communications. His latest book has just been published and is available at any good online or offline bookshop...

:wave: Hiya Cathy, nice to see outside the religious threads. :wink:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Cathy

#12 Post by Cathy » May 13th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Alan C. wrote:
Cathy wrote:

:wave: Hiya Cathy, nice to see outside the religious threads. :wink:
Well, I can safely say that a book looks useful. On some of the other threads I don't know enough to contribute, so I don't.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

stevenw888

#13 Post by stevenw888 » May 17th, 2012, 3:17 pm

I have this book in .mobi (kindle) and .epub format. Does anyone object if I upload it as an attachment here?
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Alan H

#14 Post by Alan H » May 17th, 2012, 8:28 pm

stevenw888 wrote:I have this book in .mobi (kindle) and .epub format. Does anyone object if I upload it as an attachment here?
Erm...yes!
Alan Henness

Dave B

#15 Post by Dave B » May 17th, 2012, 8:50 pm

So do I.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#16 Post by Alan H » May 17th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Dave B wrote:So do I.
I meant yes, as in I object to it being attached in clear breach of Mark's copyright!
Alan Henness

Alan C.

#17 Post by Alan C. » May 17th, 2012, 9:02 pm

I think Dave was agreeing with you Alan, (correct me if I'm wrong Dave) the complexities of language eh!
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Dave B

#18 Post by Dave B » May 17th, 2012, 9:09 pm

I was agreeing with you, Alan.

We have had the discussion about pirate music on this forum and perhaps this should be extended to books intended for sale.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#19 Post by Alan H » May 17th, 2012, 9:29 pm

Dave B wrote:I was agreeing with you, Alan.

We have had the discussion about pirate music on this forum and perhaps this should be extended to books intended for sale.
:redface: Sorry Dave!
Alan Henness

Val

#20 Post by Val » May 18th, 2012, 9:27 pm

I picked this book up in Waterstones tody and the man standing next to me reached for a copy and said "they have soon got this out, will another election change it?" Seems lots of us have mis=read the title. ( I did not buy it, my budget for payday already spent)