INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Science videos

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan C.

Re: Science videos

#41 Post by Alan C. » April 8th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Marian
Not sure if you'll have it at your local library. It's called: Dies the Fire by RM Stirling.
I just checked our library online (cool or what?) :)
They don't have it and as it was published in 2004, I doubt they'll get it now if I ask.

PS.
Is the author not S M Sterling?

Sorry for being pedantic.

Edit.
I think we're way off topic here.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Fia

#42 Post by Fia » April 8th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Alan C. wrote:I just checked our library online (cool or what?)
Cool indeed Alan. So did I :smile: I haven't read SF in years - though, over a cuppa, I did get 43 out of 90 in an SF book list recently. There's 2 copies of Dies the Fire (SM Stirling) in Aberdeenshire Libraries, and 1 of Last Light.... I'm assuming you don't mean this one Dave
1943. On an air-force base in Lincolnshire, three young women, all new recruits to the RAF, forge bonds that will last for the rest of their lives.

Anyhow ordered them both, it'll be finding the time to read them, as it adds to my reservation for AC Grayling's 'The Good Book' - the Library has a copy, more than any bookseller has :laughter:

We are delightfully :offtopic: I love how conversation goes :) I'm sure big mamma will move this if we become a complete pain in the arse...

Dave B

#43 Post by Dave B » April 9th, 2011, 9:50 am

Oooer, two books with the same title!

No, Fia, "Last Light" by Alex Scarrow if definitely not the one you describe!

Will have a look in our library catalogue now just for the sake of it! Can you also order books (that are in stock) on-line and have them delivered to the library of your choice?

Edit: also found a book by Andy McNab with the same title.

And another by Terri Blackstock about when electricity ceases to work. Hang on, that sounds similar to Marian's book . . .
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Fia

#44 Post by Fia » April 9th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Dave B wrote:Can you also order books (that are in stock) on-line and have them delivered to the library of your choice?
On the Aberdeenshire one, provided you don't have any overdue books, yes you can order online - what I did last night - and they'll come to your home branch. Here to get into the reservations we use the borrower # and the pin # you use for going online at the library. If you don't have one, just pop in and ask, but of course they system for you may not be the same...

This is now developing into a library thread, but we also have science dvds in our catalogue :laughter:

Dave B

#45 Post by Dave B » April 9th, 2011, 12:34 pm

Isn't there a dormant book themed thread?

Couldn't find it in recent months.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Marian

#46 Post by Marian » April 10th, 2011, 8:17 pm

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/ ... hotography

Here's some sciency stuff and cool too ;)
Transformative fire...

Dave B

#47 Post by Dave B » April 10th, 2011, 8:51 pm

It's crazy the way these diseases sudden;y seem to proliferate, but I suppose that is part of the pattern of nature. We had some bug killing off frogs in Britain a few years back but I think it has gone dormant again.

The biggest problem at the moment is something that kills native crayfish and our native red squirrels. Both pathogens have been imported, one with American signal crayfish and the other with grey squirrels (who also, being more aggressive, out compete the reds.

Some think them cute but to my mind the only thing to do with a grey squirrel is eat it or wear it! OK, not the squirrel's fault I know but it's them or the natives and I'll go for the reds. We used to get a shilling a tail for them as kids, but one must not encourage the little ones to kill anything (except germs) these days.
Me, 2015

Marian

#48 Post by Marian » April 11th, 2011, 1:36 pm

Dave B wrote:It's crazy the way these diseases sudden;y seem to proliferate, but I suppose that is part of the pattern of nature.
In the case above with the frogs, it seems that we are the culprit in many ways by helping global climate shift, pollution, taking up more space etc. I think there is a natural component to help keep the balance but we keep effing it up, imo.
Transformative fire...

Sel

#49 Post by Sel » April 11th, 2011, 5:11 pm

I love this...and the fact that they are creating a site for students.

http://www.ted.com/talks/david_christia ... story.html
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

Alan H

#50 Post by Alan H » April 15th, 2011, 10:54 pm

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#51 Post by Dave B » April 16th, 2011, 9:36 am

I watched that three times and made it 16 every time, not the 15 he said Anyone get 15?

Not sure what the point of the "message" was. Given a task, such as count the red cards, surely the correct action is to concentrate on that? There is a contrast between concentration and observation. The first (seemingly the quality asked for) required a focused attention and the latter may, I repeat, may, benefit from a wider attention. In that test seeing the "message" was not part of the spec as requested.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#52 Post by Alan H » April 16th, 2011, 10:54 am

It's a bit like the ape walking through the scene while counting the baseball passes, but no where near as startling. I counted 16 as well...
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#53 Post by Dave B » April 16th, 2011, 11:11 am

Alan H wrote:It's a bit like the ape walking through the scene while counting the baseball passes, but no where near as startling. I counted 16 as well...
Not sure about that, Alan. With the ape one is looking at a fairly wide field of vision, watching the ball moving around - even close to the ape.

In this case there are two areas of focus, the hand dealing the cards and the cards themselves. Asked to look for red cards I focussed my visual attention, centre of vision (quite small area), on the faces of the cards as they landed. The peripheral visual field was not of importance to the requested task.

Getting onto nasty subjects: when in the RAF we were given instruction on battlefield observation, taught to alternate our attention between our designated focus (most) and the wider area (least) because one could not extract detail from both at the same time. If there is a gross event in the peripheral field of vision one logs it but it may not be relevant to the designated task. Training helps make that decision - an explosion seen to one side usually means you were not the target and have survived (two explosions, getting closer, mean something else!) A tank approaching might mean time to take evasive action!

In this case I would suggest the "message" was in the "peripheral field" in both the visual and psychological sense.

Interesting subject to consider and plays an important part in witness account analysis I would guess.

Edit: meant to say that if there really were 16 red cards then I don't think much of the so-called mentalist! Can't even count.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#54 Post by Alan H » May 2nd, 2011, 1:32 pm

Alan Henness

Dave B

#55 Post by Dave B » May 2nd, 2011, 3:42 pm

That was good fun Alan.

Back in the days when they used to broadcast the OU progs I watched many of them. One of the physics series involved pendulums.

One demo is easy to do at home and great fun if you like a little chaos. A string is tied, as a catenary, between two uprights (I used chair backs for my try). At various points, at random but so they do not collide, different length pendulums with varying weights attached are tied to the catenary. Put a fairly heavy and long one near the middle.

Pull back that last pendulum and let go. The other pendulums will begin to react to the sway in the catenary induced by that first mover.

The random periods interact, adding and subtracting constantly as they influence the catenary and thus the other pendulums, to produce the "chaotic" (it is probably predictable with a computer and the right program!) patterns. It may all seem to slow and begin to settle, then leap suddenly back into life.

I miss those OU progs, with the silly moustaches, long hair and collars and flared trousers!

Later: I had checked (memory not what it was) that "catenary" was the right word. Part of the definition I found was "an inextensible cable, chain [etc.]" Hmmm, what if the above was done using a piece of elastic as the horizontal support? Add "elastic" to next shopping list . . .
Me, 2015

Alan H

#56 Post by Alan H » May 3rd, 2011, 5:17 pm

Alan Henness

Nick

#57 Post by Nick » May 6th, 2011, 3:03 pm

Alan H wrote:High speed jelly
*yawn* So why should that be interesting....?

*....but rushes off to find out*

*returns some moments later*

Wow!! :laughter:

Alan H

#58 Post by Alan H » May 23rd, 2011, 3:29 pm

More engineering than science, but still amazing!
Alan Henness

Dave B

#59 Post by Dave B » May 23rd, 2011, 4:42 pm

So am I - just thinking about working out the control systems and linkages makes me feel dizzy!

I have sent the link off to Carole's trainbrain son, suggesting he build a model of it!
Me, 2015

Alan H

#60 Post by Alan H » May 23rd, 2011, 5:25 pm

Dave B wrote:I have sent the link off to Carole's trainbrain son, suggesting he build a model of it!
With Lego?
Alan Henness

Dave B

#61 Post by Dave B » May 23rd, 2011, 6:23 pm

Alan H wrote:
Dave B wrote:I have sent the link off to Carole's trainbrain son, suggesting he build a model of it!
With Lego?
If they make N gauge scale Leggo yes . . . (might need a microscope though.)
Me, 2015