INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Science videos

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Dave B

Re: Science videos

#61 Post by Dave B » May 23rd, 2011, 6:23 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Alan H wrote:
Dave B wrote:I have sent the link off to Carole's trainbrain son, suggesting he build a model of it!
With Lego?
If they make N gauge scale Leggo yes . . . (might need a microscope though.)
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Dave B

#62 Post by Dave B » May 23rd, 2011, 8:12 pm

I could not work out where this fits but since it's about science . . .
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Gottard

#63 Post by Gottard » May 25th, 2011, 5:13 pm

:pointlaugh: :thumbsup:
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Alan H

#64 Post by Alan H » June 13th, 2011, 12:36 am

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Fia

#65 Post by Fia » June 13th, 2011, 8:11 pm

:thumbsup: despite being very grey...

Alan H

#66 Post by Alan H » June 17th, 2011, 12:13 am

Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Gottard

#67 Post by Gottard » June 17th, 2011, 4:38 pm

Either extraordinary or a doctored film :puzzled:
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Dave B

#68 Post by Dave B » June 17th, 2011, 5:11 pm

I was worried by it, but have trouble putting my finger on why. T

a) The light mass of such a model would make it very susceptible to any vagrancies of the wind, making predictive control difficult.
b) The speed and the low altitude at times meant that the controller would need very, very fast reaction times.
c) Unless he could reverse the pitch of the blades no chopper can fly in the modes that that model did.
d) Even if he could reverse the pitch inertia and momentum would have made it very difficult to achieve some of the reverses.
c) Adding reverse pitch controls would make things even more difficult than with normal (not easy) helicopter controls - bit like rubbing your tum and patting your head whilst hopping backwards on one leg with your eyes closed (try it!)

On might go on, I have forgotten most of by dynamics and aerodynamics. It just felt very false.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#69 Post by Alan H » June 17th, 2011, 6:55 pm

I have been assured it is 100% genuine from someone who flies model helicopters, has seen this guy flying them and is thinking of getting the same one himself. Extraordinary as it may seem, I believe it is not faked in any way!
Alan Henness

Dave B

#70 Post by Dave B » June 17th, 2011, 7:05 pm

OK, then he is a very able model controller.

(Still wanna know how it flies upside down!)
Me, 2015

Alan H

#71 Post by Alan H » June 20th, 2011, 8:34 pm

This time, in the dark.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#72 Post by Alan H » June 21st, 2011, 10:42 pm

Alan Henness

Dave B

#73 Post by Dave B » June 22nd, 2011, 9:15 am

Clever.

I am guessing that there are actuators behind the elements driven from a video cam. Watching "Weave Mirror" you get a glimpse of these at the edge of the mirror towards the end of the clip.

But still clever.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#74 Post by Alan H » September 12th, 2011, 9:31 pm

Not really a video, but...

The Scale of the Universe
Alan Henness

Dave B

#75 Post by Dave B » September 12th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Great, Alan! The two things that surprised me were the smallest of the CD pit and the largeness of the giant earth worm!

I have a book that has pictures of stars as comparatives in terms of seize, there are so mighty big stars out there - make the Sun look like a sparkle off a sparkler.
Me, 2015

Fia

#76 Post by Fia » September 12th, 2011, 10:15 pm

I liked this too. Scale is darn hard to comprehend. I have a newspaper cutting of a solar flare pic on my kitchen wall and recently tried to show my youngest the approximate scale:

Alan H

#77 Post by Alan H » September 13th, 2011, 10:20 am

Wow!
Alan Henness

Alan H

#78 Post by Alan H » September 13th, 2011, 9:28 pm

The light of life

Sometimes the simplest of solutions are the best.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#79 Post by Dave B » September 13th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Just the kind of application of science I really like!
Me, 2015

Gottard

#80 Post by Gottard » September 14th, 2011, 11:19 am

Alan H wrote:The light of life

True! and great!

Sel

#81 Post by Sel » September 14th, 2011, 3:48 pm

Alan H wrote:The light of life

Wow. Amazing.
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell