INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

What temperature does water freeze and boil at?

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan H

#1 Post by Alan H » July 24th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Maybe this should go in the pedants thread, or even the comedy thread, but it's still interesting!

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

Re: What temperature does water freeze and boil at?

#2 Post by Dave B » July 24th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Ahem.

!!PEDANT WARNING!! - !!PEDANT WARNING!! - !!PEDANT WARNING!!

"But in 1994 a new convention was adopted and the triple point of water was defined as "zero point zero nought degrees", that is 0.01 deg Celsius."

"zero point zero nought degrees" = 0.00 degrees, not "0.01 degrees".

Apart from that I found it quite confusing!

But I did like the, typical, double blind Stephen Fry pulled!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#3 Post by Alan H » July 24th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Damn! I spotted that but forgot to point it out. Who will forgive me?
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » July 24th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Me

:laughter:
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

tubataxidriver

#5 Post by tubataxidriver » July 24th, 2010, 9:39 pm

What was missing from all this material was that the triple point is defined in terms of both temperature and pressure (partial pressure in the case of water vapour).

At 1 atmosphere pressure you will find it difficult to get to the triple point, which can only be achieved at the right partial pressure. In the case of water this is 0.006 atmospheres, practically a vacuum in the absence of any other gases.

Gurdur

#6 Post by Gurdur » July 24th, 2010, 11:58 pm

tubataxidriver wrote:What was missing from all this material was that the triple point is defined in terms of both temperature and pressure (partial pressure in the case of water vapour). ....
Bingo. Was going to say this myself.

The boiling point of water is quite different up on Everest.

Dave B

#7 Post by Dave B » July 25th, 2010, 9:42 am

What was missing from all this material was that the triple point is defined in terms of both temperature and pressure (partial pressure in the case of water vapour).
Forgot that Tuba.

I don't think the article was written by a scientist some how.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#8 Post by Alan H » July 25th, 2010, 11:46 am

Gurdur wrote:The boiling point of water is quite different up on Everest.
Yeah, but where do you plug the kettle in?
Alan Henness

Gurdur

#9 Post by Gurdur » July 25th, 2010, 4:06 pm

If you do not carry a quick plug-in power supply and AC/DC convertor together with large solar-cell array around with you at all times in your anorak, you have absolutely no geek cred at all.

Dave B

#10 Post by Dave B » July 25th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Gurdur wrote:If you do not carry a quick plug-in power supply and AC/DC convertor together with large solar-cell array around with you at all times in your anorak, you have absolutely no geek cred at all.
Is this to balance the laptop on the other side?
Me, 2015

Gurdur

#11 Post by Gurdur » July 25th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Not only the laptop, but the mini-flame-torch, the electrical & mechanical worktools kit, and the survivalist kit to deal with everything from zombies to psychopaths.

All means you gotta have an anorak with strong pockets, but it makes a man outta you. A very weighed-down man, true, but we all have our own burdens.