INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Indian man claims not to have eaten, drank water for 74 year

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.

Lifelinking

Re: Indian man claims not to have eaten, drank water for 74 year

#2 Post by Lifelinking » April 30th, 2010, 9:11 am

fraud
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

jaywhat

#3 Post by jaywhat » April 30th, 2010, 9:55 am

Lifelinking wrote:fraud

and liar ......

don't know why I bothered to look
surely get better things to do
even if only cleaning my teeth
or going for a poo

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » April 30th, 2010, 11:37 am

Utter nonsense. He claims:
to not have had food and water for 74 years. Jani said he is fed an "elixir" through a hole in the roof of his mouth by a goddess, who had adopted him when he was a boy.
An extraordinary claim. And where's the extraordinary proof to go with it?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Paolo

#5 Post by Paolo » April 30th, 2010, 3:51 pm

These sorts of claims have been made before. There are physiological mechanisms that can hugely reduce the amount of food and water a person needs (starvation and or deep meditation can trigger a reduction in metabolic rate, water from urine can be reabsorbed by the bladder, metabolisation of body fats results in production of water, breathing through the nose reduces water loss during exhalation, etc), and so far the tests of claims like this one have not shown that anything is happening that cannot be explained by physiological principles.

Of course, the ability to endure the deprivation of food and water required to trigger these physiological responses is remarkable and although I think that the explanation given about the "elixir" is nonsense, it is consistent with the mechanism of water reclaimation via the action of the nasal turbinates, combined with the hallucinations that can be associated with deep meditative trances.

I'd be interested to see how much weight he loses this time round and I'd love to take a look at the physiological structures he has that are associated with water retention. I bet he has few sweat glands, salivary glands with limited function, a disproportionately high nasal turbinate area, relatively small lung capacity and quite a high proportion of fat cells around his organs (rather than having much subcutaneous fat).

getreal

#6 Post by getreal » April 30th, 2010, 4:19 pm

Utter nonsense, of course. What a waste of resources! He's taking up a hospital bed and valuable time of health professionals. Wasn't there a fairly recent death of a woman in the UK, who was attempting to follow this Breatharian twaddle?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Paolo

#7 Post by Paolo » May 2nd, 2010, 10:13 pm

getreal wrote:Utter nonsense, of course. What a waste of resources! He's taking up a hospital bed and valuable time of health professionals. Wasn't there a fairly recent death of a woman in the UK, who was attempting to follow this Breatharian twaddle?
Lots of things take up the valuable time of health professionals, like people with alcohol related injuries on Friday and Saturday nights or sports related injuries on Saturdays and Sundays - are these any less wasteful of resources? If this guy can genuinely go for extended periods of time without food or water then I would consider it a valuable use of health professional's time investigating both the validity of his claims and (more interestingly) the mechanism by which he can achieve this. Knowledge doesn't progress by people dismissing everything that they don't think can be true when extrapolating from their existing knowledge base (for example, world records wouldn't be broken if people were entirely constrained by the limits of what has been observed before). Within a wider biological context his claims are not particularly spectacular - lots of mammals can hibernate for months at a time with little or no food or water.

The useful information to be obtained from controlled observation would be:
1) Proof or disproof of his claims. If the claims are disproved then it might help deter other Breatharian's from pursuing twaddle, if they are confirmed then;
2) the mechanism by which he manages this feat could be investigated to gain a better understanding of human adaptations and the function of human beings under extreme physiological conditions - the kind of thing that may have useful medical implications.

Carrying out research like this has a win-win outcome, on the condition that it is carried out properly (which would be my main concern).

Paolo

#8 Post by Paolo » May 2nd, 2010, 10:59 pm

N.B. I do not even remotely believe that the claims of not eating or drinking water for 74 years are true - merely that he can go for extended periods without food or water.

Alan H

#10 Post by Alan H » May 11th, 2010, 12:08 am

Hmmm...
(Jani's) only contact with any kind of fluid was during gargling and bathing periodically
"If Jani does not derive energy from food and water, he must be doing that from energy sources around him, sunlight being one," said Shah.

"As medical practitioners we cannot shut our eyes to possibilities, to a source of energy other than calories."
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Paolo

#11 Post by Paolo » May 11th, 2010, 9:36 am

I'd be interested to see why he's gone from being under observation for 21 days (in the original report) to 15 days (in the second report). That sounds like the observation period was curtailed and I'd like to know why. I'd also be interested to see why the simple and obvious statistics like change in weight over the period were not reported. What we're not being told is of interest here - did they stop the observation because they noted progressive weight-loss that they considered dangerous? Hard to know if the whole story isn't reported...

Gottard

#12 Post by Gottard » May 11th, 2010, 11:35 am

Catholic Christians have miracles. He might unknowingly be geographically "misplaced".
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Alan H

#13 Post by Alan H » May 11th, 2010, 2:14 pm

Paolo wrote:
I'd be interested to see why he's gone from being under observation for 21 days (in the original report) to 15 days (in the second report). That sounds like the observation period was curtailed and I'd like to know why. I'd also be interested to see why the simple and obvious statistics like change in weight over the period were not reported. What we're not being told is of interest here - did they stop the observation because they noted progressive weight-loss that they considered dangerous? Hard to know if the whole story isn't reported...
Well spotted! And possibly very important. We may have to wait for the report, but I'm not holding my breath (or stopping eating and drinking).
Alan Henness

getreal

#14 Post by getreal » May 11th, 2010, 4:31 pm

He could be drinking water from his gargling and his bathwater. He could also be peeing in the bath.
I bet Derren Brown could do it better!

(didn't that pratty guy do something similar in a glass tank in London?)
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Compassionist

#15 Post by Compassionist » May 12th, 2010, 10:29 pm

Alan H wrote:
Paolo wrote:
Well spotted! And possibly very important. We may have to wait for the report, but I'm not holding my breath (or stopping eating and drinking).
Indeed. The truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth will do!

Compassionist

#16 Post by Compassionist » May 12th, 2010, 10:33 pm

getreal wrote:He could be drinking water from his gargling and his bathwater. He could also be peeing in the bath.
I bet Derren Brown could do it better!

(didn't that pratty guy do something similar in a glass tank in London?)
I agree. I have fasted (with drinking only plain still water) for up to 10 days. I have also done 7 days, 5 days, 3 days, etc. fasting. I lost 1 lb weight / day during such fasting. Once you reach the fourth day, it becomes easy. Don't take my word for it, test it. I am happy to volunteer myself to be monitored continuously in a laboratory. I actually wanted to fast for 40 days but my wife wouldn't let me!

Alan C.

#17 Post by Alan C. » May 12th, 2010, 11:04 pm

compassionist
I actually wanted to fast for 40 days but my wife wouldn't let me!
That's odd; her being a Catholic, didn't "jesus" fast for 40 days? According to the buy-bull.
I would have thought your wanting to emulate jesus would be seen by her as a good thing.

But then maybe..........just maybe, she doesn't really believe the bullshit that is the buy-bull, or maybe; like so many other "Christians" she hasn't actually read it.

How does your wife actually "stop you from fasting"?
Seriously, I want to know,
And why would you want to fast? there is nothing in the buy-bull or queeran that says you must fast.
Why do religious nuts set impossible targets for themselves, and then do mental gymnastics to get round them? (The Jews are the worst offenders)
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Compassionist

#18 Post by Compassionist » May 13th, 2010, 7:41 pm

Alan C. wrote:
compassionist
I actually wanted to fast for 40 days but my wife wouldn't let me!
That's odd; her being a Catholic, didn't "jesus" fast for 40 days? According to the buy-bull.
I would have thought your wanting to emulate jesus would be seen by her as a good thing.

But then maybe..........just maybe, she doesn't really believe the bullshit that is the buy-bull, or maybe; like so many other "Christians" she hasn't actually read it.

How does your wife actually "stop you from fasting"?
Seriously, I want to know,
And why would you want to fast? there is nothing in the buy-bull or queeran that says you must fast.
Why do religious nuts set impossible targets for themselves, and then do mental gymnastics to get round them? (The Jews are the worst offenders)
My wife is a Protestant brand of Christian, not the Catholic brand. She stopped me by saying things like "If you die, it will cause suffering to me and our son and your parents and other relatives and friends."

I want to fast for 40 days because I want to know what would happen to me after 40 days of fasting (with plain still water, of course). I am a true scientist. What is real? Who is real? Are you really real? I test reality every moment of every day. Nothing is taken for granted. I love everyone. I trust no one. This includes you. I have seen through the Matrix and the Maya. The truth does set one free, free to love unconditionally. Love, we can. Luminous, we can be. Love, we do. Luminous, we are. :hilarity:

Alan C.

#19 Post by Alan C. » May 13th, 2010, 8:08 pm

Compassionist
My wife is a Protestant brand of Christian, not the Catholic brand.
My apologies for that Compassionist, I wrongly assumed Irish extraction=Catholic.
I do like your use of the word brand though (twice) :wink:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.