INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Unfortunate chance remark eh?

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Lorikeet

Unfortunate chance remark eh?

#1 Post by Lorikeet » April 6th, 2010, 5:28 pm

For anyone who enjoyed watching Wonders, or reading the Brian Cox's Hair thread . . . this might also be rather amusing. The man himself obviously finds it absolutely hilarious - he's asked for his birthchart to be tweeted to him so he can see where he's going wrong :laughter: :hilarity:
All humans are brothers. We came from the same supernova.

Trinoc

Re: Unfortunate chance remark eh?

#2 Post by Trinoc » April 6th, 2010, 6:47 pm

Brilliant ... I bet he gets lots of horoscopes sent in, all different!
Be skeptical of the things you believe are false, but be very skeptical of the things you believe are true.

Nick

#3 Post by Nick » April 6th, 2010, 7:39 pm

A couple of years back, I manned the BHA stand at the Tory Party Conference in Blackpool. Almost the first person I spoke to..("Have you heard about Humanism....?") promptly produced from her plastic bag a complete astrological chart for each member of the shadow cabinet! She was particularly pleased by Osborne's astral financial acumen. She was a bit non-plussed when I asked her what the stars would say in the event of a re-shuffle.... :laughter:

Alan C.

#4 Post by Alan C. » April 6th, 2010, 7:56 pm

From Lorikeets link.
Cox is simply not qualified to speak on astrology and his comments amount to no more than prejudice.
Isn't this the same ridiculous argument leveled at Dawkins, Hitchens et al, by so called theologians?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

getreal

#5 Post by getreal » April 6th, 2010, 9:19 pm

Wasn't the person on the link being ironic, Alan? Oh! Please tell me they are not serious!!

I did notice him make the remark on the programme and was delighted :D :D :D

I've still to watch the last prog, which I have saved. I shall watch it when I will not be disturbed as it will be the lasy of Coxie* for a while, I guess.

*a man with such stupid hair surely deserved a pet name?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

tubataxidriver

#6 Post by tubataxidriver » April 6th, 2010, 10:02 pm

Let's make sure we see off the homeopaths and their nonsense before diverting ourselves onto other targets. When do you think would be a propitious time to start on the astrologers?

getreal

#7 Post by getreal » April 6th, 2010, 10:19 pm

Should that be before, or after the hot stone peddlars?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan C.

#8 Post by Alan C. » April 6th, 2010, 10:37 pm

tubataxidriver
When do you think would be a propitious time to start on the astrologers?
Now would be as good a time as any, lets talk about Biodynamic farming (planting stuff according to the phase of the moon) they would advocate planting my tatties over the Eostre weekend to get an improved crop,
We have had so much rain recently, the garden is a swamp only fit for planting rice, how would they square that?

I had a debate about this on the shetlink forum last year,
I've been growing stuff for over 40 years and have never considered the position of the planets when sowing/planting, yet I (nearly) always get good results, as our American friends would say "go figure"

Note to Alan H, the woo woo shop in Lerwick is no more, windows whitewashed and a "to let" sign up, I would like to think I played some small part in their downfall. :smile:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Lorikeet

#9 Post by Lorikeet » April 6th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Shouldn't we be taking some of the stars out of the sky in order to make all astrological charts homeopathic? Then, give the stars to astronomers to have more fun with :pointlaugh:

Alan H

#10 Post by Alan H » April 7th, 2010, 1:05 am

Alan C. wrote:Note to Alan H, the woo woo shop in Lerwick is no more, windows whitewashed and a "to let" sign up, I would like to think I played some small part in their downfall. :smile:
:happyclappy: :party: :dance:
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

jaywhat

#11 Post by jaywhat » April 7th, 2010, 6:02 am

Alan C. wrote: We have had so much rain recently, the garden is a swamp only fit for planting rice....... :smile:
Would that not need a little more sunshine? Sounds more likely that homeopathic gardening might be better.

Lorikeet

#12 Post by Lorikeet » April 7th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Nice article by the Bad Astronomer. He's inviting tweeple to suggest alternative titles to "Astrologers Jump On Cox" . . .

Suggestions so far: "Astrologers unable to swallow Cox", "Cox Taurus apart, claim astrologers", "In 2010, Cox, other scientists, and facts STILL have to compete with people clinging to mythology", "Astrology sucks - Cox" . . .

jdc

#13 Post by jdc » April 8th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Lorikeet wrote:Nice article by the Bad Astronomer. He's inviting tweeple to suggest alternative titles to "Astrologers Jump On Cox" . . .

Suggestions so far: "Astrologers unable to swallow Cox", "Cox Taurus apart, claim astrologers", "In 2010, Cox, other scientists, and facts STILL have to compete with people clinging to mythology", "Astrology sucks - Cox" . . .
I tweeted something:
Cocks criticising Cox: http://bit.ly/8Xr52E
My Blog; Twitter.
Email: 325jdc325 (at) googlemail.com

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#14 Post by Maria Mac » April 8th, 2010, 6:24 pm

tubataxidriver wrote:Let's make sure we see off the homeopaths and their nonsense before diverting ourselves onto other targets. When do you think would be a propitious time to start on the astrologers?
Best case scenario: kill two birds with one stone. I can't be bothered to post the link but here's an extract lifted from article penned many years ago by Dr Steven Cartwright, who is a former molecular biologist turned homeopath. Yes, really. :sad:
There is a symbolic system above all others which is so versatile and which tells us so much about a patient and their state of being, including their heredity, even before they tell us their story, that it is invaluable as an aid to coming to the meaning of sickness; and that symbolic system is astrology. Astrology gives us access directly at the level of meaning, rather than manifestation, and that, to my mind, is its great value.
:headbang: