INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

General Ignorance

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Nick

Re: General Ignorance

#61 Post by Nick » June 15th, 2010, 2:51 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

I'm not suggesting she was doing so consciously at all. It may just be her, it may be cultural, like an accent, or, possibly, there may be subconscious reasons, as I've suggested (not very successfully, it seems) above.

Dave B

#62 Post by Dave B » June 15th, 2010, 5:56 pm

I have heard that sort of American female voice called the "testosterone voice", afflicting women with a naturally slightly deeper voice capability after reaching the menopause. For some reason this effect seems more prevalent with the American female voice than with the British, or perhaps just more noticeable.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Val

#63 Post by Val » June 15th, 2010, 7:30 pm

tits out :D )
fia, do you often get your tits out in public?

Fia

#64 Post by Fia » June 15th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Not since I've been beyond menopausal, Val :laughter:
Dave B wrote:voice called the "testosterone voice"
Interesting, I'll take more note of my elderly female clients voices and report back...
Marian wrote:What does this mean 'running with a wooden spoon?
You were cackling about stirring it up in such tiny writing I had to copy & paste to get it to a readable size :sad2: , and one can't stir without a wooden spoon. I periodically receive the wooden spoon award for stirring it, so wasn't going to voluntarily run with it on this occasion :wink:
Marian wrote:why would anyone want to lower their voice on purpose?
Maggie did in the late 70s as then the only way for her to gain power was by doing so, amongst other things like losing frills in clothes, to appear more "manly" - remember the 80s Thatcherite fashion for suits and shoulder pads? I can't think of any reason now for any woman to do such a thing. Lowering voice, wearing shoulder pads or even getting ones tits out in public :laughter:
Nick wrote:there may be subconscious reasons
I'd be surprised if there was, Nick. Most mature women in my experience have learned that to act like a man lacks ambition, i.e. are happy in their own fabulously female skin. Admittedly, in politics (and the higher echelons of business) women are very poorly represented. Maggie did the many women who voted for her because of her gender a huge disservice imho. Instead of feminising politics, she put a consensual way of organisation back a generation.

Finally, I'm grateful to Alan H for clarifying the milk snatcher reference. I sometimes forget we are an international group :redface:

Marian

#65 Post by Marian » June 16th, 2010, 12:32 am

Fia wrote:
You were cackling about stirring it up in such tiny writing I had to copy & paste to get it to a readable size :sad2: , and one can't stir without a wooden spoon. I periodically receive the wooden spoon award for stirring it, so wasn't going to voluntarily run with it on this occasion :wink:
:laughter: Got it! We could have a relay race.
Transformative fire...

Dave B

#66 Post by Dave B » June 16th, 2010, 10:01 am

Fia said:
Maggie did in the late 70s as then the only way for her to gain power
There was something about Thatcher's voice that had be hurtling for the "off" switch even faster than "The Archers" does!

They did a CD of great speeches and had Maggie read Lincoln's Gettysburg address. One of her sycophants said that hers was the perfect voice for it, I thought it was a travesty and a crime.

The woman was pretension drawn large and should have stayed being a food scientist.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#67 Post by Alan H » June 16th, 2010, 11:10 am

Dave B wrote:The woman was pretension drawn large and should have stayed being a food scientist.
Given what she did to schools milk and meals, I'm not sure that's such a good idea.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#68 Post by Dave B » June 16th, 2010, 11:17 am

Alan H wrote:
Dave B wrote:The woman was pretension drawn large and should have stayed being a food scientist.
Given what she did to schools milk and meals, I'm not sure that's such a good idea.
True, just shows her lack of professionalism in all her roles. Except, I suppose a "professional politician" is going to do such things, part of the job spec.
Me, 2015

philbo

#69 Post by philbo » June 17th, 2010, 2:41 pm

Dave B wrote:Fia said:
Maggie did in the late 70s as then the only way for her to gain power
There was something about Thatcher's voice that had be hurtling for the "off" switch even faster than "The Archers" does!
+1 (but with real feeling)
After tasting the plastic mess she turned ice cream into, maybe she could have been a food scientist for Spillers instead (I'm showing my age here.. but they stick in the memory because the very first time I saw Microsoft Word running was when I had to take over a training course on-site there, telling them how to use a product I'd never used myself)

Dave B

#70 Post by Dave B » June 17th, 2010, 3:02 pm

( . . . the very first time I saw Microsoft Word running was when I had to take over a training course on-site there, telling them how to use a product I'd never used myself)
Bin there, dun that, Philbo, with an instrument calibration package running on an Apple II (that long ago!) because the boss forgot the demo and played golf! Phew! Clinched the sale. :laughter:

OK, scrap Maggie as a food scientists as well then.
Me, 2015

Fia

#71 Post by Fia » June 17th, 2010, 3:38 pm

Dunno what you guys have against "The Archers" :shrug:
I've been listening from being a babe on my Grandmother's knee, and the omnibus edition was always "Mummy time" when my children were wee. Engrossing, engaging and sometimes surreal and funny - try it :D

Nick

#72 Post by Nick » June 17th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Talking of Maggie and computers, I am reminded of the story of a journalist whose spell-checker threw out the word "Thatcherism". When he quizzed the program further, back came the response:
Spoiler:
There is no alternative. :D

Now then, what's Fia's message all about....? The Archers!? Aaaaaaaarrrrgghh!!!!! :retreat:

Dave B

#73 Post by Dave B » June 17th, 2010, 7:52 pm

Fia wrote:Dunno what you guys have against "The Archers" :shrug:
I've been listening from being a babe on my Grandmother's knee, and the omnibus edition was always "Mummy time" when my children were wee. Engrossing, engaging and sometimes surreal and funny - try it :D
Oh, I am grateful for "The Archers"! It gives me a point in my life when I should turn the radio off and do something important!

The omnibus provides me with just the right sized time slot to get to Tescos, do the shopping and get home.

I grew up with "Mrs Dale's Diary" ("I'm awfully worried about Jim") and back in the good old days when "The Archer's" was designed to make sure farmer's knew about the latest agricultural news and consumers knew about the trials and tribulations that post war farmers faced (that hasn't changed much, but now it's the bureaucracy) and how food should not be wasted. I think that was the whole ethos of starting the prog in the first place. Pretty successfully I agree. But now? just another soap basically, a few morals thrown in.
Me, 2015

Paolo

#74 Post by Paolo » July 6th, 2010, 3:54 pm

Deeper voices are usually associated with large size and masculinity, but it is also an indicator of maturity in both genders (pdf). People will subconsciously deepen their voice when they want to be taken seriously and my guess is that this happens because deeper voices are perceived as being more mature and therefore they are also associated with being more serious. This kiind of behaviour would not be surprising from both men and women in positions of responsibility, but men are better equipped (thanks to larger body size and an Adams apple) to deepen their voices without straining them, which gives that harsher edge.

Of course, it might just be that she had a sore throat.

Nick

#75 Post by Nick » December 6th, 2010, 7:51 pm

Some seasonal general ignorance!

The local BBC weather girl, has just said that "Because we are surrounded by sea, our snow [in Britain] has a larger proportion of water in it [hence snow more liable to be freeze or be generally awkward] than in other countries.

Hmmm...I thought snow was just frozen water. What else could it be? Surely all snow has the same amount of water in it? The size of flakes may be different, I can accept, but can she right?

Dave B

#76 Post by Dave B » December 6th, 2010, 8:46 pm

Hmm, I doubt the the actual crystals vary much in size.

It takes moist air to make snow anyway and moist, warmish air off the sea makes the most IIRC. So, it could be said that there might be more water per cubic meter in the average snows storm derived from maritime air. Worst scenarios are dry cold winds from the east hitting moist warm ones from the west or dry cold air passing over warmer sea, as in north east or easterlies passing over the North Sea. Guess where we sit?

That's about the only way she could be right - but it is sloppy language for some one who should be knowledgeable in the field, even if not a trained meteorologist. On the whole the standard of BBC English seems to be deteriorating anyway.
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#77 Post by jaywhat » December 7th, 2010, 6:31 am

I know no science, but I do know that there are different 'kinds' of snow and that (allegedly) there are some 40 Inuit words for snow. Seems to me that one explanation might be water content. No!
Presumably not all water is the same!

Gottard

#78 Post by Gottard » December 7th, 2010, 3:21 pm

Nick, Dave, Jaywhat,
the only thing that goes through my mind is that snow falls at different speeds depending on the value of parametres (temp., humidity, pressure, ...). On the Alps we have:
hailstones (ice balls), wet snow (not properly solidified snow - fast fall), jelly beans (small rounded flakes - medium fall speed), dry snow(very soft light flakes almost flying on the air).
Given the different fall speeds I may conclude that concentration indeed varies but -sorry- I'm not able to give a reason; however, I'm sure is not a miracle!
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

thundril

#79 Post by thundril » December 7th, 2010, 4:05 pm

Paolo wrote: ... men are better equipped (thanks to larger body size and an Adams apple) to deepen their voices without straining them, which gives that harsher edge.
This reminds me of something I have occasionally wondered about since childhood, but have never been arsed enough to research: Is there a 'proper' word for the Adam's Apple?

Dave B

#80 Post by Dave B » December 7th, 2010, 4:47 pm

Larynx ennit?
Me, 2015

thundril

#81 Post by thundril » December 7th, 2010, 6:15 pm

Women have larynxes (Larynges?) don't they?
Actually, this gives me an idea for a thread somewhere, maybe only slightly but importantly different from this one.. How about 'utterly uninformed technical discussions'? Where the contributions are required to present discussions in an apparently serious way, but which can clearly be seen to be bluffing.
(I'm thinking the two Ronnies as blokes in a pub; Pete & Dud; me and any one of several fellow boozers over several decades.?
Too complicated?