INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Psychics and mediums !!!

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
ludite

Re: Psychics and mediums !!!

#61 Post by ludite » April 25th, 2010, 12:23 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

It as been interesting reading through this thread. My contribution to the discussion is two true personal stories that i think is illustrative of how and why psycics mediums andthe rest of the superstious road show works and atracts its followers.
Iam a member of an amature theatre. A Place that is rife with superstitions.
First concerns the well known theatrical tradition/superstition of not wistling back stage and the dire cosiquences of quoteing from the scotish play[macbeth]. two of the cast broke these comands for a wind up. Dire consquences befell the play. I as stage manager had to miss a couple of performaces due to illness. Amember of the cast lost her voice and two shows where cancelled. Then all the minor accidents that will happen in a play that runs for twenty one performances over ten weeks where blamed by the more supperstious on the breaking of these taboosThey were also sited as proof of the neccesaty complying with these traditions. The play was very sucsessfull and won several awards despite the whistling and quoteing of macbeth.
The second concerns an alleged ghost.Someone said they could feel a presance back stage. This became a topic of conversation in the bar for some time. Someone evan invited an ivestigator of some description. he toured the theatre and left without saying anything definate. The ghost presance was in one area backstage it created a cold spot alwaya in the same place. Even when the heating was on and all the doors were shut. A door and door frame had been removed leaving the cavity exposed. hence the cold spot. the use of a large hammer and apeice of wood soon exorsised the ghost and we all retired to the bar.The point Iam trying to make is that there is always arational explanation if looked for .

Marian

#62 Post by Marian » April 25th, 2010, 11:36 pm

ludite wrote: The point Iam trying to make is that there is always arational explanation if looked for .
Why do you figure the superstition remains then?
Transformative fire...

Paolo

#63 Post by Paolo » April 26th, 2010, 8:23 am

Marian wrote:
ludite wrote: The point Iam trying to make is that there is always arational explanation if looked for .
Because so many people don't bother looking for the rational explanation...

Marian

#64 Post by Marian » April 26th, 2010, 11:26 am

Paolo wrote:
Marian wrote:
Agreed but why do you think they don't bother looking?
Transformative fire...

jaywhat

#65 Post by jaywhat » April 26th, 2010, 2:38 pm

it takes time and a bit of IQ

jdc

#66 Post by jdc » April 26th, 2010, 9:13 pm

Paolo wrote:
Marian wrote:
Marian wrote:Agreed but why do you think they don't bother looking?
I suspect that the rational explanation may not hold quite the same appeal for some people.

Plus, as jaywhat says in the comment above mine, it takes time and a degree of intelligence. Some people might not be sufficiently motivated to spend time looking for a rational explanation and some might not know where to start.
My Blog; Twitter.
Email: 325jdc325 (at) googlemail.com

Paolo

#67 Post by Paolo » April 26th, 2010, 10:58 pm

I guess there is probably a bit more to superstition than simply laziness about seeking rational explanations. Many superstitions have a practical safety function (like deterring people from walking under ladders or passing on stairs for example) or they reduce the risk of damaging or wasting expensive resources (like breaking mirrors or spilling salt - both of which used to be far more exclusive goods than they are today). Even things like whistling backstage have roots in safety - the rigging crews who changed backdrops etc. used to communicate using whistled cues, making whistling backstage potentially hazardous to both the performance and the actors/crew as heavy sandbags and sets might be released as a result of a misidentified whistle. There are others.

Superstitions probably worked well when most people were illiterate and poorly educated - there's nothing like the fear of the supernatural to keep people in check. Given the audience there's no real surprise that the remit of superstition as a safety mechanism was rather exceeded and more random superstitions arose. However, now there are such things as warning signs, health & safety risk assessments and litigation, so the need for superstition has probably passed. Roll on enlightenment.

ludite

#68 Post by ludite » April 27th, 2010, 4:45 pm

To find the rational explanation for something first you have to want to find it, and not be content to go along with the herd.You also need to get of your backside and look. That takes effort and sometimes courage and education.

Fia

#69 Post by Fia » April 27th, 2010, 6:29 pm

It's also quite a comfortable place to be for some folk, as this sort of woo implies you don't have to take responsibility for yourself as life is pre-ordained, written in the stars or the the ectoplasm or whatever.
Nice get-out :)

getreal

#70 Post by getreal » April 27th, 2010, 9:48 pm

I can never figure why some vets hold with homeopathy. I can get that doctors might give the appearance of supporting it, but accepting that it's just an expensive placebo, but vets?????

There is even a society for them!
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.