INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Quantum problem

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Hundovir

Re: Quantum problem

#61 Post by Hundovir » August 5th, 2009, 10:19 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Look at the youtube links!

Ron Webb

#62 Post by Ron Webb » August 6th, 2009, 12:57 am

Felicia wrote:... the string theory book I;ve got, by Brian Glover (The Elegant Universe) ...
Do you mean Brian Greene? I'm struggling to get through The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene right now, although I'm finding it incredibly tough going.

P.S.: I've been Googling like mad trying to find an Elegant Universe by Brian Glover, and I'm not sure if this is the connection but I came across a three hour TV adaptation of the Brian Greene book by Nova on PBS: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html
The TV program is available for viewing online, so if nothing else it might be a more painless way for me to get at least the basics of it. Elsewhere I think I saw Brian Glover's name connected with a TV program, so I'm wondering if Glover made a transcript or viewer's guide to the show?

Felicia

#63 Post by Felicia » August 6th, 2009, 7:24 am

You're absolutely right Ron, of course it's Brian Greene! I think he's a bit worthy, but I am still on board, about half way through, just got to the actual string stuff. At least he doesn't do equations, and I think he's quite good at the metaphors required to illustrate his points. I shall certainly look up your reference to a tv adaption on the subject!

Ron Webb

#64 Post by Ron Webb » August 6th, 2009, 12:33 pm

I'm one of those strange people who actually likes mathematics, and since superstring theory is all about math, I'm missing it. Not that I'd be qualified to understand the actual equations, but when I read Greene's book it feels like somebody trying to teach me superstring theory via a modern dance interpretation.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much, and maybe so is he. His goal seems to be to give us an intuitive understanding of a subject that everybody says cannot be understood intuitively.